To upgrade or not upgrade?

Polonius

The SE suite is a penthouse with balcony. Very much larger than your balcony. How many in your party? If only two, looking at $1500.00.

I would do it. Do you have any extras in current fare? Make sure they will transfer.

The SE suite is a penthouse with balcony. Very much larger than your balcony. How many in your party? If only two, looking at $1500.00.

I would do it. Do you have any extras in current fare? Make sure they will transfer.

Just two of us and the UDP for both.

Would this mean butler/concierge? That seems a little intimidating. As far as tipping and such

Just two of us and the UDP for both.

Would this mean butler/concierge? That seems a little intimidating. As far as tipping and such

Looking at your sailing and from what you said, only the SE are available. Yes, you'd get the butler and concierge but you don't have to use them if you don't feel comfortable. Right now they are selling that category for $2,429 each pax so depends what you paid originally.

I was on the Dawn for the repo cruise to Boston two weeks ago, in an SE, and it's great. Good size cabin, large balcony and very quiet since you'll be at the very front of the ship.

Price sounds reasonable.

I was on the Dawn for the repo cruise to Boston two weeks ago, in an SE, and it's great. Good size cabin, large balcony and very quiet since you'll be at the very front of the ship.

Price sounds reasonable.

Did you use the butler? How did tipping work?

Yes. Beyond his normal appearances replacing coffee pods and bringing afternoon snacks we had several meals in the cabin. We would order our meals a couple of hours in advance and he would deliver at the appointed time.

As for tipping I believe this is a personal decision based on how much he does for you during the cruise, the length of the cruise etc. You can do a search on the boards typing in "butler tipping" and will find endless discussions. I will say I give more to the butler than the concierge. I don't use the concierge very much.

Yes. Beyond his normal appearances replacing coffee pods and bringing afternoon snacks we had several meals in the cabin. We would order our meals a couple of hours in advance and he would deliver at the appointed time.

As for tipping I believe this is a personal decision based on how much he does for you during the cruise, the length of the cruise etc. You can do a search on the boards typing in "butler tipping" and will find endless discussions. I will say I give more to the butler than the concierge. I don't use the concierge very much.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.

When I sailed in Dec in a suite I did not use the butler and did not tip him.

How many days is your cruise? That would impact whether or not the extra money is worth it. I did read that the higher daily service charge does include the butler.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Run, don't walk and take the upsell! That's a great price for the SE. We have sailed on the Dawn several times and you will love the butler/concierge service and huge balcony. We asked our butler to serve dinner one night on our balcony while docked in Bermuda and it was the coolest thing!

How many days is your cruise? That would impact whether or not the extra money is worth it. I did read that the higher daily service charge does include the butler.

Since you did not tip him did you tell him at the beginning that you did not want any coffee pod refills or daily snacks? Just curious.

There is no system on any NCL ship that has the Butler or Concierge included in any tip/DSC pool! They are excluded from any pool and it is up to the cruiser to tip for services rendered.