inside vs balcony

btorlv

I't all a matter of preference, perceived value and Budget. That is why there is no one answer for that question.

Our first cruise was an inside cabin. Either the light is on or it is off. No difference day or night. Was not thrilled.

Next was an Ocean View. Much better, No insides ever again.

Next was a Balcony. Waking up and opening the curtains to see the view of Moorea was enough to hook us! Breakfast on the Balcony in our robes, A brandy at night watching the stars. Love balconies.

Next we were upgraded from a Balcony guarantee to a Mini Suite on our Med Cruise.. Loved the extra space, but are not convinced the extra price is a good value for us. We are booked in a Balcony guarantee for our upcoming Mexico cruise.

Your results may vary.

Dixon

When I was younger it was always "value" and we couldn't justify the extra money, ( always took the cheapest available cabin ) not that it would cause us to skip something else, but splurging before kids college and retirement and other things were certain just seemed to be a stupid tradeoff.

Now that we are older and things more certain we do throw money away at these little luxuries though their value / $ really is very small in some ways.

Its personal, can afford it do it! Question the value and will be pennypinching something else you may want to do, skip it and save the bucks!

My DH and I have always booked a balcony whether a suite,mini suite or balcony cabin because I like the idea of having access to fresh air and an outside space.

Then,last February,we sailed on the Regal.

The balcony was so small,we did not use it for room service breakfast,afternoon tea or relaxing.

We plan to sail on the Royal this coming January.

My DH convinced me that we should try an interior with the theories that A.we hardly used the balcony on the Regal and B.we could do more traveling if we booked the interior cabin at a lower rate than a balcony.

I am willing to try the interior cabin,but I have some concerns.

However, I have read positive reviews and posts from many CC contributors who sail in interior cabins that are encouraging.

We will see what our experience will be next January.

If it is positive,I can see us booking more interior cabins. If not,we will be back on a balcony.It should be interesting !

For double occupancy, if you are looking at one of the Sideways Inside cabins, my best recommendations based on personal experience would be either:

R405/406

A405/406

B405/406

C405/406:

I had C406, a 'sideways' inside, for two weeks. Location was perfect, with no cabin forward of me, and quick access to the amidships elevators, or just a bit further walk to the forward elevators and stairs.

The cabin layout has it that both bathrooms and closet areas of my cabin and the one aft of it are back-to-back, so noise from the other cabins bedroom area and TV were never an issue, nor did I actually ever hear anything at all from the other cabin during the two weeks I was aboard ship. The head of my bed was facing the bow end, the foot of the bed facing toward the aft end.

Storage space was plenty for me, and I never used most of the drawers in the bedroom area or shelves in the two smaller closet areas. A lot of my items I just kept in my suitcase or carry-on and pulled them out as I needed them. My large suitcase fit easily under the bed. The pump dispensers in the shower were a nice addition, but I always bring my own from home. The position of the toilet paper dispenser was a non-issue.

The distance to the forward elevators/stairs was an easy for me to walk, and not inconvenient at all. And during the two weeks I was aboard Royal Princess never found the wait for an elevator (including the amidship elevators) any worse than other ships with the exception of embarkation day, which is also about the same on any ship I've been on.

:D

Let me preface this by saying that I love, love, love, love my balcony. However, on the Canada/New England cruise I would probably book an inside to save a bunch of money. I went on a Canada/NE cruise last year in September on Holland America. It was mid-September and it was pretty chilly. We had some nice days but by the third week of September we had 50 mph winds and ice pellets. Seas were pretty rough and we couldn't get into some ports. I booked an inside cabin and didn't regret it. I wouldn't have used my balcony that much. I haven't looked at your itinerary, but on my cruise most of the scenic sailing time was in darkness and you couldn't see anything. Daylight hours are reduced by October, it's chilly and it is cold in the evening while sailing. You can't predict weather, though, and your cruise could be completely different.

I am looking to book a cruise on the Regal Princess to New England and Canada from Oct. 3-10. Trying to decide between an inside room and a balcony. There is a $350 difference PP. Would we be able to use the balcony at that time of year? I haven't had an inside room in years. This is our first Princess Cruise.

We did this cruise two years ago at the same time and had the same questions. We have always had a balcony and figured why spend the extra money if it will be too cold to enjoy. So, we booked our first inside cabin. Never again !!!! I realize others love inside and don't spend much time in their cabins but, we felt very cramped; there was no sunshine to enjoy; room was stuffy ( thankfully DW brought a small fan which saved us). As it turned out, and you just never know, the weather was wonderful and we really missed our balcony. Now, we don't care how cold or rainy it is, we want the option to be able to sit outside or just open the door to let fresh air in. Hope you have as much fun as we did on the cruise regardless of which cabin you choose. bob

Will there be any good views on this trip.

Sat Oct 3 New York (Brooklyn), NY 5:00pm

Sun Oct 4 At Sea

Mon Oct 5 Halifax, NS, Canada 8:00am 4:00pm

Tue Oct 6 Saint John, NB, Canada 8:30am 5:30pm

Wed Oct 7 Bar Harbor, ME 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Oct 8 Boston, MA 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Oct 9 Newport, RI 9:00am 6:00pm

Sat Oct 10 New York (Brooklyn), NY 6:00am

GRab an inside close to an outside area

Aft high deck close to stairs and you have one big balcony Horizon terrace just outside your door up some steps.

Booked the inside and going on our first Princess cruise, thanks for all the help.

I hope you come back and give us a complete post-cruise review complete with details on your accommodations and your experiences aboard Regal Princess.

Have a wonderful cruise!!!

:D

I am looking to book a cruise on the Regal Princess to New England and Canada from Oct. 3-10. Trying to decide between an inside room and a balcony. There is a $350 difference PP. Would we be able to use the balcony at that time of year? I haven't had an inside room in years. This is our first Princess Cruise.

Since you haven't had an inside cabin for a long time, you might not be happy not having a balcony.

Then again, it's just for one cruise so you could give an inside a try ... doesn't mean you can't go back to booking balcony cabins next cruise. ;)

LuLu

Then,last February,we sailed on the Regal.

The balcony was so small,we did not use it for room service breakfast,afternoon tea or relaxing.

!

I wouldn't go to an inside especially on a cruise to warm weather areas. There are some larger balcony cabins, some basic verandah ( not deluxe) and some deluxe that are considered obstructed. If you look mid ship under the sea walk/bar area you'll notice some are angled and wider.

I wouldn't go to an inside especially on a cruise to warm weather areas. There are some larger balcony cabins, some basic verandah ( not deluxe) and some deluxe that are considered obstructed. If you look mid ship under the sea walk/bar area you'll notice some are angled and wider.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am going along with DH's experiment with an inside cabin for this cruise.

We will see how it works out for us.

I am planning on using the Sanctuary for sea days ,enjoying some fresh air and Caribbean sun!

I haven't done this cruise but am from Halifax. I'm not claustrophobic, or need to 'see' outside at any moment, so would book an inside because I guess it may be too cool to enjoy the balcony when the ship is moving.

September can be warm 'enough' :) (temps in the high 60's). In my memory, we haven't had ice pellets in September or October either. Maybe this is something that happens at sea when it's really windy.

Cruisers often do this cruise to see the fall colours. Many years, the leaves don't change until after our Thanksgiving, Oct 12 in 2015, when sunset will be at 6:35pm. Other years, the leaves could be in full colour that week.

For 2015, daylight savings time happens on Nov 1, when it will be dark at 5:04pm.

We had an inside cabin for our first cruise to New England/Canada. It was fine. The days in port are long. We would not have had much of a chance to enjoy the balcony. At that time, the difference in price was $800 per person.