The cost of cruising

blackshirt

True, but you did get food and shows with the cruise. Last time I was at HHV I also had to pay $75 a day for two beach chairs and an umbrella

At Hilton Hawaiian Village, a Coca-Cola from a vending machine is $3.25. That does not include a glass, ice, lime, straw, napkin, or smile.

There has been much discussion about prices and whether prices are going up, etc. I recently ran across the invoice of our first cruise on the Carnival Festival in 1981. It was a 7 night Carribbean cruise out of Miami and we had I guess what would be considered an ocean view because it had a port hole but definitely no balcony. Our cruise fare back in 1981 was $1790 or $895/person. I'm not sure what that is in today's dollars but I'm sure it is at least double. We paid only slightly more than that for a 7 night cruise on Oasis last year in a balcony. Maybe prices aren't as bad as we think. I also now realize why I didn't return to cruising until 2008.

Tipped crew on cruise ships today earn a little less than half of what we did in the 1970s - that's without adjusting for inflation. How many industries do you know that have cut salaries buy more than 50% over 40 years and still stayed in business?

We sailed Carnivale in 1989

Festivale was the fancy ship

My first cruise was on the Carnivale in 1988. I thought I was living the fancy life when we took a cruise on NCL's Seaward.

There are some things I miss about how cruises were 25 years ago, but a lot I don't--for instance, the midnight buffet.

My first cruise was on the Carnivale in 1988. I thought I was living the fancy life when we took a cruise on NCL's Seaward.

There are some things I miss about how cruises were 25 years ago, but a lot I don't--for instance, the midnight buffet.

Ours was an inside with uppers and lowers.

Did you have to walk through shower to get to the toilet?

Good times

I took my first cruise on the SS Norway in 1987. MDR was fancy, BUT I had to wear coat and tie 5 nights out of the 7. Choc-aholic midnite buffet was fun. Portholes limited the view - especially when they capped them during a storm.

The first cruise is always special, but I prefer the ameneties and atmosphere of today.