Good morning from the Westerdam!

cruisevers

Onboard the Beautiful Elegant Weaterdam, sitting on our balcony approaching Juneau as I type. Snow capped mountains glimmering in the sunlight on both sides of the channel are beautiful. It has been daylight since I got up this morning at 4:30am!

So far we have had fairly calm seas and maintained a speed of 20-21 knots. Yesterday , with due diligence we spotted 5-6 whales while cruising!

It is even more beautiful than i remembers!! More to come...

Onboard the Beautiful Elegant Weaterdam, sitting on our balcony approaching Juneau as I type. Snow capped mountains glimmering in the sunlight on both sides of the channel are beautiful. It has been daylight since I got up this morning at 4:30am!

So far we have had fairly calm seas and maintained a speed of 20-21 knots. Yesterday , with due diligence we spotted 5-6 whales while cruising!

Lovely! I left the Westerdam just as she was to begin the Alaska season. She really is a great ship with a wonderful crew. Enjoy!:)

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. I will miss Alaska this year due to schedule conflict. This will be the first year that I will not go to Alaska since 2007 when I started to cruise in Alaskan waters.

David

I see you!!!!!!!! Seriously aint it grand to only have 2 blue hulled ships in port?:D

Joanie

Thanks for your post - keep 'em coming!!! Good to hear that you're having a good cruise so far, and I hope it continues to be so (and even better) for the remainder ... please take good care of Westy, as we will be on her in a few weeks, and I don't want to spend my time cleaning up after y'all ... LOL

Smooth sailing,

Rod

Hi cruisevers,

Looking forward to reading your posts about your current trip!

All,

Cruise-virgin here. I saw a great deal with HAL Alaskan cruise on Westerdam for end of May. Really thinking about booking it (on a budget) but want to check with ya'll experienced people here... Are there any (extra) essential packages I should get? I was just thinking of the cruise price, taxs & fees, and book any excursions at the ports. All advices will be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Eric

Just returned home from the first Westerdam sailing of the season. It was AMAZING! Everything was perfect, from the weather, the food, the ports of call. You will have an amazing time. Be sure to be outside on deck 10 for Glacier Bay. We got up there at about 7:30, dressed for the weather, Layers, hats & gloves, and hung out there until 11:30, You will not be disappointed. You can run inside to get warm and there the green pea soup in the Crows Nest. Almost a spiritual journey. It Sitka, there is a grocery store within walking distance of the drop off area if you need to make a stop for anything. Easy to find. I loved this cruise, My favorite of all! The food on the Westerdam is wonderful. Be sure to order room service!, order it the night before so there is no waiting. HAL may be my favorite cruise line now Enjoy, have fun, be prepared to be amazed! The club sandwich is very good from room service with shrimp cocktail, and fresh fruit. the cooking demonstrations are very entertaining

and quite tasty, Enjoy! indulge! Live! Experience Like! Live Large!

Free champagne at the captains talk.meet & greet,

We will not be tendering as the Captain announced last night as we have special permission to dock. As I type we are pulling into the pier now. More info latter...just woke up,..

Ps....weather has been perfect!! Sun all day yesterday in Glacier Bay!!

Edited by cruisevers

We will not be tendering as the Captain announced last night as we have special permission to dock. As I type we are pulling into the pier now. More info latter...just woke up,..

Ps....weather has been perfect!! Sun all day yesterday in Glacier Bay!!

So glad to hear your cruise is going well. I will be on the same iten in August. I wonder if dock vs. tender in Sitka is a choice or if now it will always dock. Shame - as I always liked tendering into Sitka - great views and the tenders dock right in town.

Back on board and just leaving Sitka. The pier was a bit of a pain, long walk to the shuttles. Many tours did pick up right from here however. The shuttles did run continuously tho and were nice tour type busses.

Internet is $60 for the week and is unlimited but only one device can be logged in at any one time. The social pkg is $25 which is good for facebook but not email.

Tomorrow is Ketchikan and the forecast is calling for sunshine and 68 degrees! Locals are thanking us for brining the sunshine to them!

Does Westerdam still have the unlimited internet packages? If so, what are the prices?

We were on the Westerdam last week (seems longer!). There were three different unlimited plans, which you could buy by the week or by the day. The lowest level plan covered social media but not email; it was $25 for the week ($5 for the day). We got the midlevel plan - $60 for the week ($16 for the day) which covers virtually everything except streaming, skype, etc. The top level plan includes video streaming, skyping, etc. was $99 for the week (I think - not entirely sure, but that's what sticks in my head). Limited to one device at a time, so you get to practice sharing :D

Edited by TheSecondSister