Jones Act, saw whaaaat?

RCmommy

My PCC just called and I asked her to price up an Alaskan cruise we are contemplating for next May. Leaves from Canada, ends in Seattle. I was told I cannot do it. Huh?

I cannot leave from one country and end up in another. I am confused. I would have to pay the 8 day Alaskan fare, then have another cruise booked from the dismebarkation port back to the original home port. So 2 Alaskan cruises back to back?

First of all, one is costly enough, but two????

I understand this is a law, but I am wondering why so many cruise ships offer this type of itinerary? The two cruises each way both have the same ports of call.

Am I missing something?

Your PVP/Travel Agent does not know what they are talking about. Yes, you can begin and disembark in another country. You will only have to pay for the 8 day Alaska cruise that you are taking. I would get a new person.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Something is wrong with the information given to you. Of course you can embark in one country and disembark in another country (think trans-Atlantic crossing and types of cruises that do this).

Does the cruise embark in Vancouver and disembark in Seattle? In that case, there may be some exception due to the closeness of the ports.

My PCC just called and I asked her to price up an Alaskan cruise we are contemplating for next May. Leaves from Canada, ends in Seattle. I was told I cannot do it. Huh?

I cannot leave from one country and end up in another. I am confused. I would have to pay the 8 day Alaskan fare, then have another cruise booked from the dismebarkation port back to the original home port. So 2 Alaskan cruises back to back?

I understand this is a law, but I am wondering why so many cruise ships offer this type of itinerary? The two cruises each way both have the same ports of call.

Am I missing something?

Yea, your "guy/gal" doesn't know what they are talking about.

Alaska gets tricky if you want to do a B2B after a repo cruise. ie LA-Vancouver then Vancouver to Anchorage.

If you're just doing one of those you're fine, can't do both.

Yes, it is the Carnival Legend that leaves on May 16th. It leaves from Vancouver and finishes in Seattle. 8 day Glacier Bay.

I repeated the info back to her because I thought it sounded crazy. She said the Carnival website was not even giving the option for payment because it was flagged for this Jones Act.

I am glad this is not the case because if it was, well, yikes.

Like I said, I would get a new PVP or get a supervisor. Just to be clear, you cannot do both cruises because of the Jones Act. You can only do the May 16, 2016 8 day Alaska Cruise. You only have to pay for that cruise.

Like I said, I would get a new PVP or get a supervisor. Just to be clear, you cannot do both cruises because of the Jones Act. You can only do the May 16, 2016 8 day Alaska Cruise. You only have to pay for that cruise.

Okay, maybe she thought I wanted to do both??? But then she told me I would have to get back on to get back to Vancouver (home port)

I will call again.

Yes, it is the Carnival Legend that leaves on May 16th. It leaves from Vancouver and finishes in Seattle. 8 day Glacier Bay.

I repeated the info back to her because I thought it sounded crazy. She said the Carnival website was not even giving the option for payment because it was flagged for this Jones Act.

I am glad this is not the case because if it was, well, yikes.

As many others have already said, your PVP doesn't know what she is talking about. I am taking the Legend out of Seattle on 9-8-15, and it returns to Vancouver on 9-15-15. (I'd get a new PVP!:D)

Okay, maybe she thought I wanted to do both??? But then she told me I would have to get back on to get back to Vancouver (home port)

I will call again.

That doesn't make any sense. The Legend won't be back in Vancouver until September.

I will call again.

That doesn't make sense because the ship won't be back in Vancouver until September.

There are many cruises that start in Vancouver BC and end in the states . All one way to Alaska , to/from Hawaii and to/from California .

Maybe the system has flagged the wrong Vancouver (Washington State).

Otherwise talk to someone else.

First off, she doesn't know the correct Act, as most Carnival employees don't. The Act is called the Passenger Vessel Service Act (PVSA), which has to do with passengers. The Jones Act is cargo.

When one cruise embarks or debarks in a foreign port, it nulls the PVSA. Without going into a lot of details, the PVSA only deals with American ports.

Since you are embarking in Vancouver, you could add 50 legs and it wouldn't matter where you disembarked the ship.

Make sure to get names, so agents can be properly trained

Edited by crzndeb

Am I missing something?

Your TA has it all wrong. The Jones Act only covers going from one coastal US city to another coastal US city without a foreign stop OR a foreign stop that isn't far enough away in between. (I forget the distance.) Going from Vancouver up to Alaska and then heading back south to disembark in Seattle is perfectly fine.

Either contact a new TA or just call Carnival directly. :)

By the way, Glacier Bay is absolutely gorgeous!

Call again! We did the Car Legend left from Vancouver returned to Seattle no problems. If can make a suggestion we took the train from Seattle to Van on cruise day was one the best trip I have ever done. tried to sit on the left.

The Jones Act is a law that does not let passengers or crew travel from one US Port to another US Port for recreation or cargo purposes. That's the same reason why there can't be 2 day cruises to Catalina Island, or how the Alaska cruises need to stop in Victoria, Canada, or leave from Vancouver, and why the Carnival Hawaii cruises stop in Ensenada from 4 hours on the return to the states. People had this issue doing the 8 day Splendor from NYC to SJU, and then doing the 8 night SJU to MIA cruise. But with this particular cruise, there should be no issue. I would question your PVP. ;)

The Jones Act is a law that does not let passengers or crew travel from one US Port to another US Port for recreation or cargo purposes. That's the same reason why there can't be 2 day cruises to Catalina Island, or how the Alaska cruises need to stop in Victoria, Canada, or leave from Vancouver, and why the Carnival Hawaii cruises stop in Ensenada from 4 hours on the return to the states. People had this issue doing the 8 day Splendor from NYC to SJU, and then doing the 8 night SJU to MIA cruise. But with this particular cruise, there should be no issue. I would question your PVP. ;)

To add clarification, travel is okay between us ports (including SJU) if the ship is US flagged, built or rebuilt in the US, the crew consists of primarily (75%?) US citizens and the ship is owned by a US company controlled by US citizens (again 75% I think).

To add clarification, travel is okay between us ports (including SJU) if the ship is US flagged, built or rebuilt in the US, the crew consists of primarily (75%?) US citizens and the ship is owned by a US company controlled by US citizens (again 75% I think).

Forgot to add that, as the Pride of America goes roundtrip from Honolulu to Hawaii every week.

Thanks for the clarification :D

I'm not sure but I think thst cruise ships can do one way to Puerto Rico and East Coast.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Forums mobile app

Puerto Rico has some special considerations. We sailed NOLA-San Juan on the Conquest.