passport question

amqjw

I am a first time cruiser, is it easier to go to a passport office and apply for passport or print the form and mail it along with required documents? If we send certified birth certificates, how long does it take them to come back?

It is much easier than you may think. We went to the local post office after downloading the form and filling it out. We were there for no more than 15 minutes. We were told it could be several months before our passports arrived, we got them in less than 6 weeks. Ensure you apply in time so they arrive in time, I'd say at least 4 months prior to sailing. You can pay more to expedite but in our case they turned them quickly with no extra charge. Enjoy your cruise! :cool:

I am a first time cruiser, is it easier to go to a passport office and apply for passport or print the form and mail it along with required documents? If we send certified birth certificates, how long does it take them to come back?

For a first time passport, you must present yourself at a passport acceptance office. These are generally located in post offices, but can have other locations (ours was our City Clerk's office). They will look over your application papers (photos, IDs, etc) and tell you whether you have everything you need and send them on to the passport agency for processing.

For renewals, by mail is the way to go.

Generally passports are issued within 4-6 weeks from application acceptance, but can be quicker. Birth certificates are returned under separate cover, usually a couple of days later.

I did my first one at my local main post office. The appropriate staff person looked over everything, making sure all the "I"s were dotted and the "T"s were crossed; turn around time wasn't too bad - tho it's been so long ago that I don't really remember. Renewal was done by mail like the others have posted.

You will get your birth certificates back in a separate mailing.

Edited by Treven