Passport Card ok on Alaskan Cruise?

Our passports are expired and money is really tight. I have read that passport cards are okay on Alaskan Cruises, but I want to be sure. We leave out of Seattle and will return to Seattle, but visit Victoria B.C. I think we also cross the border in Skagway when we do the Yukon rail. Passport cards for 3 people would be much cheaper, and we are not planning to do any international travel for several years anyway. I have heard you can't fly out of Canada without an actual passport, but we are willing to take the chance we won't have to. I would love to hear confirmation from someone who recently took a RCL Alaskan Cruise using a passport card. Thank you!:)

Our passports are expired and money is really tight. I have read that passport cards are okay on Alaskan Cruises, but I want to be sure. We leave out of Seattle and will return to Seattle, but visit Victoria B.C. I think we also cross the border in Skagway when we do the Yukon rail. Passport cards for 3 people would be much cheaper, and we are not planning to do any international travel for several years anyway. I have heard you can't fly out of Canada without an actual passport, but we are willing to take the chance we won't have to. I would love to hear confirmation from someone who recently took a RCL Alaskan Cruise using a passport card. Thank you!:)

At least on Princess you had to have a Passport book to be able to book the excursions that crossed into Canada.

At least on Princess you had to have a Passport book to be able to book the excursions that crossed into Canada.

Not sure why that would be required since the Passport Card is accepted for land crossings between Canada and the US. Perhaps someone traveling to Alaska with Princess might want to challenge their restriction, but "their ships, their rules" might apply, or, more likely, that restriction is the result of some individual Princess employee misunderstanding the federal regulation. Now, if the traveler is flying into/out of Canada, there is no question that a regular Passport (not the Passport card) is necessary.

Not sure why that would be required since the Passport Card is accepted for land crossings between Canada and the US. Perhaps someone traveling to Alaska with Princess might want to challenge their restriction, but "their ships, their rules" might apply, or, more likely, that restriction is the result of some individual Princess employee misunderstanding the federal regulation. Now, if the traveler is flying into/out of Canada, there is no question that a regular Passport (not the Passport card) is necessary.

Our excursion on the Yukon rail (booked with Royal) also required us to present a passport. Didn't think anything of it at the time, but it does seem odd considering it is a land crossing.

Not sure why that would be required since the Passport Card is accepted for land crossings between Canada and the US.

The passport card is for entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda by land or sea. That is its only stated purpose. Whether it can be used to enter or leave another country is up to that country. While it's unlikely Canada or any other nearby country would deny access using it, they technically could, so I make sure to have my passport book with me when traveling to any other country, and from the sound of it the cruise lines want to make sure of that too.

Not sure about the excursion that was mentioned, but friends of ours flew into Fairbanks, did a RCL land tour, sailed out of Seward and into Vancouver. Had to fly home from Seattle because they had the passports cards. No issue in Vancouver.

Not sure about the excursion that was mentioned, but friends of ours flew into Fairbanks, did a RCL land tour, sailed out of Seward and into Vancouver. Had to fly home from Seattle because they had the passports cards. No issue in Vancouver.

Makes sense. You need a passport booklet to fly into the US from a foreign country.

Someone above incorrectly stated that only passport books were accepted by Princess for the Yukon excursions. Passport cards are sufficient documentation for the Yukon cross-border excursions. The actual wording of the Princess requirement is:

Passport Requirements:

Since this tour enters Canada, all guests must carry a passport or other WHTI compliant document. Notarized written consent is required for children traveling into Canada without both parents.

. A Passport card meets these requirements for a land border crossing. Edited by cherylandtk

Passport cards are acceptable on a closed end cruise based out of the US, and when traveling by land to Canada.

Unless, of course, it is one of the cruise lines that requires ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to bring a valid passport book.

For fun & your reading pleasure I copied this from Regents website. Can't remember the other two companies ;)

WHAT IS YOUR POLICY ON PASSPORTS AND VISAS?

The latest information regarding passports and visas for U.S. and Canadian residents can be viewed here. It is the policy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises to require passports for ALL travelers for all voyages, regardless of guests' nationality and ports of call and countries visited. You must obtain and carry a valid passport to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vessel. Passport Cards or a copy of a passport are not accepted. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise. Please obtain or renew your passports early. Consult your travel professional or customs authority for documentation requirements for your cruise.

And, which one is that?

Pretty much all the premium and luxury lines require it (e.g., Oceania, Regent, Silversea, Crystal).

And most often, you surrender it to the purser at embarkation. If passengers need to clear customs/immigration at certain ports, you sleep in while purser handles it (under most circumstances). If you miss the ship, the line's shore agent has it waiting for you. If there's an emergency requiring air travel..... etc, etc.

• 3 months later...
I will call Royal Caribbean and get a definitive answer and post the information for anyone who is interested. Here's hoping they have good customer service!

Hey Jackaroosmom! I'm curious what you found out from RC? We are cruising next year and I'm trying to plan ahead. Thanks!

Hey Jackaroosmom! I'm curious what you found out from RC? We are cruising next year and I'm trying to plan ahead. Thanks!

Just go online to RCCL and read the document requirements for your cruise. Best bet is to get a Passport, they are good for 10 yrs and come in handy for other identification needs.

I haven't investigated the prices, but several years ago, I got passport cards for my sons and it was every bit as much work and almost as much expense as a regular passport. This past year I had to get them passports and it actually seemed like it was more work because they already had the cards. Because you said your passports expired, you'd just be renewing them...isn't that less expensive? Again, I don't know the exact prices, but I did feel like I wasted money getting those cards and wish I'd just bought the passport itself. Good luck! It sounds like a great vacation!

When you enter Canada on the train at Skagway, you are expected to hold up a passport by your face, with your hat off. If you cannot do that, I cannot imagine what the consequences might be. I don't want to find out.

We took a motor coach tour along the road paralleling the train route and went through the Canadian checkpoint. Passport cards were accepted with no problem. They did have some opportunities to stamp your passport that we would have missed if we did not also have those with us.

I haven't investigated the prices, but several years ago, I got passport cards for my sons and it was every bit as much work and almost as much expense as a regular passport. This past year I had to get them passports and it actually seemed like it was more work because they already had the cards. Because you said your passports expired, you'd just be renewing them...isn't that less expensive? Again, I don't know the exact prices, but I did feel like I wasted money getting those cards and wish I'd just bought the passport itself. Good luck! It sounds like a great vacation!

Cards are $40 and books are $105.

Just go online to RCCL and read the document requirements for your cruise. Best bet is to get a Passport, they are good for 10 yrs and come in handy for other identification needs.

I have been online and I have my passport but I would like to know what they told Jackaroosmom over the phone. I'm curious specific to the excursions.