Ama Certo Basel to Amsterdam

pjtkl

Hi

Does anyone have the daily information sheets for this cruise? I am trying to find out exact times of docking and leaving ports. The website is helpful but not

completely specific. I have a very detailed Uniworld itinerary and would like to compare the two.

Thanks for your help:)

Jenny

We did Basel to Amsterdam on AmaReina a few months ago. I am not one who saves things but am happy to answer any questions.

We were on AmaCerto in 2012 and she remains our all time favorite river cruise experience.

BTW, river cruises IME do not provide exact times for arrival and departure. They estimate as many factors can affect the actual docking time.

Edited by caviargal

/\ Exactly! Or maybe inexact ;).

The most precise times we ever were told was the time to be onboard. That usually was provided the night before, and on more that one occasion got changed after we docked.

I don't expect to see any times more precise than "an afternoon of sailing" or departing during dinner" in any documents before boarding the ship.

Thanks for the help but just one more question!

Do you spend enough time in the section with all the castles?

Uniworld spreads it over 2 days but they are obviously more expensive. And they stop at Boppard - is that a good thing or not?

What to do?????

Uniworld spreads it over 2 days but they are obviously more expensive. And they stop at Boppard - is that a good thing or not?

What to do?????

Are you referring to the Rhine Gorge? We sailed at noon from Rudesheim through the gorge on our way to Koblenz, arriving at 4:30 or so.

I have not been to Boppard so cannot comment.

I am sure you would be happy with either line. We have not yet sailed with Uniworld but have been very happy with our AMA cruises and they are our preference.

Hello pjtkl,

What to do?????

jpalbny posted a great review of the trip on Uniworld last year: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026494&page=4

You can read how the two days in the Rhine gorge were split.

I personally like Boppard, it also has a nice chair lift that takes you to a scenic river view. It is comparatively small and apart from the well-preserved Roman remains similar to other villages in the middle Rhine valley, so I would not regard it as a must-see on a river cruise. On the other hand I like the idea of spreading the gorge over two days.

notamermaid

We did Basel to Amsterdam on AmaReina a few months ago. I am not one who saves things but am happy to answer any questions... ...

Sorry if this is out of topic but I wonder if AMA has an extra excursion to the Black Forest. Thank you.

Edited by anandaindonesia

Sorry if this is out of topic but I wonder if AMA has an extra excursion to the Black Forest. Thank you.

They did not on our 2013 Enchanting Rhine cruise, but since most of the reviews on CC of that excursion (on any cruise line) were negative we didn't find that a problem [we didn't want a long bus ride to buy a cuckoo clock or eat bad Black Forest cake].

They did not on our 2013 Enchanting Rhine cruise, but since most of the reviews on CC of that excursion (on any cruise line) were negative we didn't find that a problem [we didn't want a long bus ride to buy a cuckoo clock or eat bad Black Forest cake].

Hahaha... good point.

We have only cruised this itinerary Amsterdam-Basel. The port times are different gong in the opposite direction--so you need info from someone traveling the same direction as you. Enjoy the cruise line you pick. Pat

Lots of varying opinions out there re: the Black Forest tour. Some like the scenery, others like the hokey tourist trap cuckoo clock 'museum" (= store), some thought the black forest cake saved the trip form being a total loss, while still others find no redeeming value in that trip.

Not sure what to think. To each his own, I guess.