has Bistro on Five increased prices to $10PP?

catspaw1

I might have spoken too soon. The menu we had in April did include the gelato sundae cart so maybe we did have the new menu. The daily specials were the same. I ordered the short ribs special and it was very good.

Oh well. I'll find out soon.

Some of the specials changed...no more mussels.

The entrees are also gone. No more salmon.

Seems like they raised the prices but made the food more casual.

We were on the Reflection trans-Atlantic last month and can confirm the Bistro is now charging $10. However, not many taking them up on their offer. It was empty most times we passed by. We ate in there twice and both times there were only two other tables occupied.

Menu has changed and they downsized the number of crepes on the menu.

I realize The Porch is only on the Reflection & Silhouette but, did it also get a price increase? We primarily eat at both The Porch or The Bistro on embarkation day but doubt I would to spend $20 (for 2).

Thanks

Ok thanks for confirming. At $7PP it was worth it but not sure if it's worth a steep 30% increase in price. My salary has never gone up that much & I have never been given a 30% salary increase. A reasonable increase would have been to $8- a little over 10%. I'm a senior accountant so always think about numbers!

Does everyone think it's worth it?

CC recommended going the first day to avoid the crowds at the buffet. What is everyone's recommendation? Should we still go to the Bistro the first day?

A senior accountant should recognize that an increase from $7 to $10 = 43%, not 30%. You have been been demoted to junior accountant. :D:D:D

Last year we ate in the Bistro on embarkation day in Bayonne NJ. We paid $7pp plus 7% state tax. NJ charges sales tax while you are in port. Food was okay. Nothing special. It was nice to sit down and have somebody else serve the food. I really do not like buffets. My choice would be that the MDR is open for lunch on all days.

We ate at the Bistro in March for $7 on the Summit. We enjoyed the new menu and the relaxed atmosphere very much. It was on our only sea day and the place was packed, although many were obviously Celebrity employees.

We ended up having another couple join us as they couldn't get a seat and we had met them through CC at the M & G and on a shore excursion.

Because of that we had a great time.

Personally, I find $10 a reasonable up-charge, it is some of the other restaurants I find are way over-priced at $50 per person.

It does seem like a big increase though when you think it was just recently $5 and now it is $10. Do the suite folks eat here for free? Maybe that will fill the place.

Here is a picture of the new menu.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/22/b9c9c6aea3f50c87f039934d0a6e42c2.jpg

The entrees look very good. I always loved the crepes.I would eat there again even with the increase in charge.

Thanks

The menu looks good but I see no reason why they couldn't have left it at $7 if you wanted to go with the crepes or for $10 you could get the entrees or "Plat Du Jour" - all including a dessert of course.

The crepes simply aren't worth $10 but the entrees at $7 I would have no doubt I'm screwing over Celebrity.

Another option would be do have those extra items at dinner only (to drive more folks in?) and the price is a few dollars higher but look at the extra choices that are available.

Edited by InTheWASide

Thanks

The menu looks good but I see no reason why they couldn't have left it at $7 if you wanted to go with the crepes or for $10 you could get the entrees or "Plat Du Jour" - all including a dessert of course.

The crepes simply aren't worth $10 but the entrees at $7 I would have no doubt I'm screwing over Celebrity.

Another option would be do have those extra items at dinner only (to drive more folks in?) and the price is a few dollars higher but look at the extra choices that are available.

I agree, not worth the increase for the old menu which was basically just crepes, but this new menu looks appealing to us as an alternate to Formal Night Dining at dinner...lots of choices other than crepes and much cheaper than any of the other specialty restaurants. I can see us paying the new rate for a dinner there...

Wow. Well I intend to be there enjoying lunch at $10.pp. Thanks for assuring me of seating!

Many on here accuse X of nickel and diming them on their cruise. I observe that it's also the other way around, with passengers nickel and diming and being so "frugal." I love that polite word for cheapskate!!!

So after planning your cruise for months or years, you would not spend an extra $3 or $5 dollars for a WONderful lunch experience?? Even though you enjoyed it so much the last time? I can't quite grasp that idea.

Anyway.....bon appetite and happy cruisin'

Susan

7 of us went there on embarkation day on Infinity in March when it was still $7. We had 2 1/2 hrs before the muster drill thinking we had plenty of time considering there was only one other table occupied and they were already eating. We all received our salads but our main entrees all came out at separate times (widely staggered). Two of us were left still waiting after everyone else had long finished. The waitress brought out one missing meal, not the other, and disappeared never to return. I had to go find her and tell her to forget my panini because we needed to leave for muster. She then came to the table and tried to make me pay for the meal I never got. She was getting insistent but I flat out refused. Sorry but I'm not paying to leave hungry. I tried to go to guest services later to complain but the line up was long so I let it go. I definitely won't be back!

Wow. Well I intend to be there enjoying lunch at $10.pp. Thanks for assuring me of seating!

Many on here accuse X of nickel and diming them on their cruise. I observe that it's also the other way around' date=' with passengers nickel and diming and being so "frugal." I love that polite word for cheapskate!!!

So after planning your cruise for months or years, you would not spend an extra $3 or $5 dollars for a WONderful lunch experience?? Even though you enjoyed it so much the last time? I can't quite grasp that idea.

Anyway.....bon appetite and happy cruisin'

Susan[/quote']

Like.

Ok, so I have a dumb question: you pay $10 then you order one thing off the menu? I.e a chicken ceasar salad then if you want to try a italian crepe for desert its another $10?

Also, are the shakes and floats included in classic bev pkg?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my dumb question(s)!

There are few to no things "everyone" will agree on here. Whether it's worth it is obviously highly subjective - and from a purely objective perspective, how could it possibly be "worth it" when perfectly serviceable sustenance is available in other venues at no extra cost to you?

If you're asking we would do it again however... my answer would be yes. We've only cruised once in our lives - a year ago on Reflection. I was previously very apprehensive about cruising and learned a lot on here about how to maximize the experience - one suggestion for which was to dine in Bistro upon boarding.

We found that, after the hustle and bustle of getting ourselves and our luggage to the terminal, and dealing with the boarding/security procedure etc., beginning our cruise in a quiet setting with decent food served by a friendly waiter with time to chat with us as well as ensure our glasses were never less than half full of bubbly was the right thing for us. I'd happily pay $10pp to repeat the experience and no doubt will when we cruise for our second time next January.

If I may, do yourself a favor and try to forget you're a senior accountant for a few days and think about the experience rather than the numbers. But in the end, do what makes you (and your companions) happy. :)

Yep. What he said!! Great minds.....

Ok, so I have a dumb question: you pay $10 then you order one thing off the menu? I.e a chicken ceasar salad then if you want to try a italian crepe for desert its another $10?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my requestion(s)!

Not a dumb question!! For your $10, you may choose a lovely salad, a bowl of clam chowder in a bread bowl, an appetizer, a wonderful crepe, a full entree if desired, AND a dessert crepe. Or 2 of everything if you like. ALL for $10. I forget if they have shakes and floats at Bistro, but if so, sure they are included in the classic bev package!!

[QUOTE=Cruisen'Susan;46557320]Not a dumb question!! For your $10, you may choose a lovely salad, a bowl of clam chowder in a bread bowl, an appetizer, a wonderful crepe, a full entree if desired, AND a dessert crepe. Or 2 of everything if you like. ALL for $10. I forget if they have shakes and floats at Bistro, but if so, sure they are included in the classic bev package!![/QUOTE]

Well heck! Then its worth the 10 bucks AND the mayhem in oceanview!!

Thank you Cruisin'Susan!

This is where this board always boggles my mind. We have an upcoming 14 day cruise. If my DW and I both decided to eat at Bistro every day of the cruise, it would now cost us $84 more than before. This $84 would likely represent one of the cheapest things we bought in our entire vacation.

I get that people like things to stay the way they are, but $3 more for something you're (more realistically) likely to use 3 or 4 times a cruise is hardly really a hardship.

[quote name='catspaw1']If the MDR is open on embarkation, I would just rather go there. Anyone know if it's open?[/QUOTE]

The MDR has not been open on embarkation on our recent Celebrity cruises, which is why we went to Bistro on 5 on our last cruise. We enjoyed lunch there, but it with the old menu (and price) from last year.

[quote name='RTPGiants']This is where this board always boggles my mind. We have an upcoming 14 day cruise. If my DW and I both decided to eat at Bistro every day of the cruise, it would now cost us $84 more than before. This $84 would likely represent one of the cheapest things we bought in our entire vacation.

I get that people like things to stay the way they are, but $3 more for something you're (more realistically) likely to use 3 or 4 times a cruise is hardly really a hardship.[/QUOTE]

It does make for a 100% increase in just over 12 months, but yes in cash terms and In isolation obviously it isnt a lot......

But...Stateroom gratituities are on the up, fixed service charges on purchases are increasing, speciality restaurants have increased in price in The last year or so. People noting the shifting of drinks from one package to another, and the increase in charge to change packages, people observing a cheapening of the product in the MDR (and in at least one speciality restaurant).

All of these things in isolation seem small and trivial but put them together and Combine that with some cruises (in the med this summer) are upwards of 30% higher price than last year and I understand why some are annoyed at what some see as a small increase.

[quote name='JERSEYGIRL1983']Ok, so I have a dumb question: you pay $10 then you order one thing off the menu? I.e a chicken ceasar salad then if you want to try a italian crepe for desert its another $10?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my dumb question(s)![/QUOTE]

It's a $10 cover charge for everything including the shakes and floats, you just pay once per person per visit. :)

[quote name='RTPGiants']This is where this board always boggles my mind. We have an upcoming 14 day cruise. If my DW and I both decided to eat at Bistro every day of the cruise, it would now cost us $84 more than before. This $84 would likely represent one of the cheapest things we bought in our entire vacation.

I get that people like things to stay the way they are, but $3 more for something you're (more realistically) likely to use 3 or 4 times a cruise is hardly really a hardship.[/QUOTE]

Like [emoji3]

You've gotta put it all in perspective!

I'm already missing this venue when we go on our RCI Explore of the Seas cruise at Christmas....they don't have such a venue and will mean having to handle the masses up at the buffet for lunch on embarkation day[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] Edited by QE2_Fan

[quote name='QE2_Fan']Like [emoji3] you've gotta put it all in perspective!

I'm already missing this venue when we go on our RCI Explore of the Seas cruise at Christmas....they don't have such a venue and will mean having to handle the masses up at the buffet for lunch on embarkation day[emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same about my first cruise with princess which is coming up next month! then I found out the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation day :D