sanctuary on Coral at Panama Canal

Jetswdo

Let me first say that after spending a ridicuous amount of money on the Royal Princess sanctuary- it was an awful experience. Which I explained many times on this board.

Now, we will be on the Coral for partial transit, New Years Cruise. Due to the fact that the sanctuary is in the aft area and has a pool, I am investigating the facts about it-- For the Royal, I found a way to be one of the first on board, so that I could run like a maniac to reserve loungers. I will only consider doing that again, if it is worth it for Coral ship.

What is the cost for loungers on Panama Canal day? Do you have to reserve loungers for the entire cruise to do this? How much does it cost for the 10 day cruise? (Wont be used at all for Limon, Grand Cayman, or Aruba, or probably Cartogena) Sanctuary would be used for 4 sea days and Panama Canal day, making 5 days in total. We totally refuse to have to line up at 5:45 am in the morning for individual day use only. So am trying to decide whether or not on the Coral, we would have a great experience with it, and if worth the cost to us. Thanks for info. Anita

You will not get much view of the canal and locks from a lounger. Everything will be happening below you. You would need to be standing at the railing, which you can do for free. Perhaps it would be comfortable for the couple of hours in Gatun Lake while the tour groups tender ashore. EM

We had it on the Island for the PC Partial and loved it. Because some of the port days are shorter you do use it more.

Gatun lake is sold separately. So you can buy 9 days, 10 days or just Gatun if avail. When we sailed it was $270 pp for 9 days, we did not book Gatun as we were doing a long excursion.

One caveat, I am not sure if the Coral has lost the small pool as part of the Sanctuary yet (the Island has). That was one of the best features and made it worthwhile. I think it goes away after March 2016 dry dock.

That small pool is exclusive to sanctuary users, and food service is available (they would bring the drinks in paper milkshake cups or plastic if you wanted to drink down there).

The PC itinerary is one of the few trips I WOULD rush up on boarding to get a good lounger (we had a cabana on the upper deck)

Had great views of the Canal from the Sanctuary. It wasn't crowded and you could even view almost all the way forward from the railing.

Canal day is sold separately. It's been several years but I think the cost for the day was around $75/lounger.

Had great views of the Canal from the Sanctuary. It wasn't crowded and you could even view almost all the way forward from the railing.

Canal day is sold separately. It's been several years but I think the cost for the day was around $75/lounger.

As Pam said, the Canal day is booked separately from the rest of the cruise. We booked the Sanctuary for the entire cruise, but did not book for the Canal day. I thought the price on the Island was $70 for the Canal day but I believe it included some food and beverages.

My first Coral Princess cruise was a partial transit through the canal. The Sanctuary on Coral is wonderful. We had amazing service,stewards and using that pool was wonderful. It was so peaceful and quiet. We were totally pampered.

Since it was aft we were not bothered by strong winds or breezes like I experienced on the Emerald Princess-that Sanctuary was really bad-awful service and it was not pleasant.

My friend and I booked the lower level on the Coral Sanctuary under the overhang so we would not fry in the hot sun. There was still plenty of space to get in the sun if you wished but I can't recommend getting a lounger in the full sun-too hot and you will be a lobster after one day.

We did not book it on canal day as we did the very long but very informative tour that took us through the rest of the locks to the Pacific Ocean.

Highly recommend booking it for the entire cruise-it is so worth it.

Not sure I would do it again after the hatchet job that it will get in 2016 though.

I've never been one to go for the Sanctuary....on the Coral though, we could pre book for a half day on embarkation day....I have never known that to be true before. You had to go in the morning early and hope. My friend wanted to go, so I signed up with her. It was nice enough on the Coral because there's a pool right there dedicated to the sanctuary. Would I pay to go there for an entire cruise? If I had nothing else to do with my money.

Booking the sanctuary on the Coral for a full transit was the best monies I ever spent on that cruise! The staff were fantastic! They were also the wait staff in the specialty restaurants and that was an added plus when dining, as they knew you by name. High Tea is served daily,cold cloths handed out in the heat of the day,your own private pool, iced orange or cucumber water constantly replaced. If you wanted music they had i pods for you to use. It was a great cruise enhanced by the Sanctuary experience!