Gratuities???

PhillyGirl2

can come off as aloof...here you are you poor thing. Most crew don't go spending ashore except to send money home to family, as that is why they are there...it is not to them a travel experience. Its a focused long hour ( 12 to 14 hour days) chance to earn and retain as much as possible. Consider that is why they work their contract. They play after the contract.. not run into town to party and live it up

Help them in achieving that goal in providing for their family.. not cute presents but $$$

As to "down home" food.... most ships have both Indian and Asian chefs that crank out home country chow daily!!!.... I remember on Royal Viking, that the guys in the Chinese laundry on the ship used to crank out Chinese food for them selves and others.... A lot goes on below decks...

it is not to them a travel experience. Its a focused long hour ( 12 to 14 hour days) chance to earn and retain as much as possible. Consider that is why they work their contract. They play after the contract.. not run into town to party and live it up

Help them in achieving that goal in providing for their family.. not cute presents but $$$

Actually, I spoke to several crew members getting off the ship on Marina last week for some entertainment. Everyone I spoke to - was so excited for an overnight visit in Montreal. They were all getting off to go into town because there was no curfew. Most were going to go out for a night to have a beer, or meal or some of the young ones were going out to dance. Some pocket money for them was most welcome

I realise we have a different approach to tipping in UK. We do mostly tip in restaurants etc but maybe a standard 10% if happy with service.

We actually expect good service to be the norm- just like we expect our train driver, dentist, carpet fitter to do his/her job properly. Some of these folk seldom if ever get tipped. We simply pay them their due.

I don't like to feel that some crew members on a cruise are so poorly paid by Oceania, or any other cruise line for that matter, that they feel they are having to "work like slaves" to get a tip that allows them to earn a decent wage.

I would much prefer staff paid appropriately for a job well done - but through their wages. All paid for as part of the price of a cruise. There is always an option to tip further. But we only see some of the great service. Some crew we never see to tip but our enjoyment might depend on each and every one. So a slightly higher fare would be my preference so long as all those doing a decent job get a decent wage.

I would much prefer staff paid appropriately for a job well done - but through their wages. All paid for as part of the price of a cruise. There is always an option to tip further. But we only see some of the great service. Some crew we never see to tip but our enjoyment might depend on each and every one. So a slightly higher fare would be my preference so long as all those doing a decent job get a decent wage.

In an ideal world that would be the case. Sadly, we do not live in an ideal world. Until then, when in Rome....

Tipping customs vary from place to place and I try to do as the locals do as best I can. It's not my place to change them - neither the locals nor their customs. :)

Edited by Paulchili

Even more sadly, we who cruise and/or travel abroad by land seemingly can never get it right.

If we tip in a country where tipping is not the norm, then we are scorned for being either ostentatious or naïve Americans flaunting our riches to the Third World.

However, if we do not tip (or tip very little) in that same country, then we are scorned for being stingy, uncharitable Americans who refuse to share their obnoxious wealth.

That said, Paulchili's "when in Rome" approach is probably best in the end. One just hopes that it will be perceived as having done one's homework regarding local customs rather than as simple American obtuseness.

Actually, I spoke to several crew members getting off the ship on Marina last week for some entertainment. Everyone I spoke to - was so excited for an overnight visit in Montreal. They were all getting off to go into town because there was no curfew. Most were going to go out for a night to have a beer, or meal or some of the young ones were going out to dance. Some pocket money for them was most welcome

+1

When we were on Riviera this past summer each evening the bartenders would share with us what type of restaurant they ate out in at the port each day. It got to be our running joke. They rarely had Indian food, although they were from India. Truly they are not all the poor misers that many tend to think they are. Some of them are making a pretty fair living. Maybe not by the standards of most of us Oceania cruisers, but they are far from being slaves.

+1

When we were on Riviera this past summer each evening the bartenders would share with us what type of restaurant they ate out in at the port each day. It got to be our running joke. They rarely had Indian food, although they were from India. Truly they are not all the poor misers that many tend to think they are. Some of them are making a pretty fair living. Maybe not by the standards of most of us Oceania cruisers, but they are far from being slaves.

When I first read Caroldoll's post, I couldn't believe what she had written - slaves? Hawaiidan is right in saying it gives the impression of "here you are you poor thing". Whilst I believe Caroldoll is doing this with the best of intentions, it makes me very uncomfortable that this is how she perceives the crew and then acts like Lady Bountiful! . ChatKat - "pocket money", come on, the crew are grown up hard working adults! I've met ChatKat and I am sure she didn't mean it like this, more likely "have a beer on us", but this is how it reads! Goodness knows how the crew must feel when they read some of these posts! :rolleyes:

ORV - your summary makes much more sense and is a much more realistic assessment.

When we had our business I worked 18 hours a day, 7 days a week for over 35 years. In my opinion, this is working like a slave. That is what most of the crew does as well. There were many times being self employed that we could hardly make ends meet as the people we worked for were very slow in paying. When a person works that many hours, any little thing extra is just that...something extra. Yes, if in any way we can do anything to make another person's life a little easier, then that is what I like to do. $2 spend like any other money. Just take it to a bank. We have known some of the employees and they love to just "collect" them and get a kick out of it. We will continue in our lifetime of not just doing for ourselves, but doing whatever we can to bring joy to other people..on the ships and off the ships. If in anyone's mind this is being "whatever unflattering things you can say"...we so be it. We love to be good to others.

Agents who book a lot of cruises with Oceania receive certain perks from the cruise line to pass on to their clients (they can't use the amounts as extra profit for themselves; they have to pass them on or lose them).

Don, do you know that to be fact? ...that certain TAs receive this extra $$$ from Oceania as an advantage over other TAs? I always thought they were taking the PPG out of their gross commission to be competitive.

BTW, Norwegian gratuities are now $12.95 p/p p/d for standard cabins, and $14.95 for Suites.

Further to Orv above:

Disembarking Mariner (RSSC) in Lima last year at 4:00 a.m. in order to catch our 6:00 a.m. flight to Cuzco, a bunch of waiters, bartenders and other staff we knew well (including our butler) were only just arriving back at the docks entry gate, clearly in the best of spirits and presumably not having gone ashore at that hour to wire money home from the local Western Union office.

Good for them! We trust they had put our collective guest gratuities to the most rewarding use possible in Lima after midnight.

What ever you want to call "having a beer or lunch on me" would be pocket money by my terminology - or a little something extra. I find nothing wrong or offensive about directly tipping someone who gave you good service onboard.

As you know Oceania is not all inclusive. Even if tips are included in your fare, if someone gives you good service, you are free to give them your money your way.

What ever you want to call "having a beer or lunch on me" would be pocket money by my terminology - or a little something extra. I find nothing wrong or offensive about directly tipping someone who gave you good service onboard.

As you know Oceania is not all inclusive. Even if tips are included in your fare, if someone gives you good service, you are free to give them your money your way.

You are so right, I think some people are just cheap and think only about them selfs--it's that simple.

Rick

Don, do you know that to be fact? ...that certain TAs receive this extra $$$ from Oceania as an advantage over other TAs? I always thought they were taking the PPG out of their gross commission to be competitive.

BTW, Norwegian gratuities are now $12.95 p/p p/d for standard cabins, and $14.95 for Suites.

Agents who commit to "group" bookings (I.e., they commit to sell a certain amount of cabins, but are not assigned specific cabins) receive "group amenities" from the cruiselines, usually in the form of prepaid gratuities but sometimes as OBC or other perks, to pass on to their clients. When I book with my TA, we discuss what group amenities I can receive. If they did not commit to a group on a certain cruise, they might offer something from their profit, but more likely not. However, they are so successful with Oceania they almost always commit to a group.

If they do not get enough bookings to fill out their group, the excess cabins go back to inventory (again, just a number, not specific cabins). That's part of the reason cabins to fill guarantees and possibly waitlists sometimes appear near sailing.

By the way, that's the reason why some OBC that appears to be from a TA is not refundable -- it was from the cruiseline, not paid in by the TA.

I have heard there are TA's who take part of their profit to pay for perks, but I've never found one. I have received a rebate check from a TA after the commission has been paid, usually after the cruise.

Edited by hondorner

Agents who commit to "group" bookings (I.e., they commit to sell a certain amount of cabins, but are not assigned specific cabins) receive "group amenities" from the cruiselines, usually in the form of prepaid gratuities but sometimes as OBC or other perks, to pass on to their clients.

Thanks... that process makes sense and seems fair.

Getting advantageous extras on a single booking due to their past volume seemed more sketchy to me.

I quite agree - but to say you give adults "pocket money" is a tad patronising! It was your choice of words I found so, not the action of tipping!

There is nothing wrong with giving anyone a tip, but it's the way some choose to do it that others find, myself included, a bit "here I am, throwing my money around, can you all see me doling out my cash". This is a general observation, not directed at anyone!

Most of us prefer to do things a tad more discreetly.

No one here on the board saw anyone do anything. Maybe you should all stop complaining. Some of us do things without everyone knowing about it. What do you think...we run down the hallways holding tips in our hands...come on. There is no reason for the nasty remarks. Everyone can and should spend their money as they see fit.

Tips are not everything.

We feel good...we have seen people over-extended and in bankruptcy and have helped them save themselves. (Not on ships). We don't donate to organizations who take 8% or more for overhead...we do our own help.

If some of you do not want to tip...don't do it. It won't stop those of us who want to extend a helping hand to others...and who is to say we don't do more!

Now I AM READY...MORE NASTY COMMENTS.

No one here on the board saw anyone do anything. Maybe you should all stop complaining. Some of us do things without everyone knowing about it. What do you think...we run down the hallways holding tips in our hands...come on. There is no reason for the nasty remarks. Everyone can and should spend their money as they see fit.

Tips are not everything.

We feel good...we have seen people over-extended and in bankruptcy and have helped them save themselves. (Not on ships). We don't donate to organizations who take 8% or more for overhead...we do our own help.

If some of you do not want to tip...don't do it. It won't stop those of us who want to extend a helping hand to others...and who is to say we don't do more!

OMG. My two favs..Caroldoll and ChatKat !! I cannot believe the remarks being sent your way. I understand and also know that what you do in your own Private lives is your business...do not respond to these nasty people, Please. Generosity come from the Heart <3

We get full pre paid gratuities from our TA. However, on our last two FULL days aboard ship, we still locate and hand out tip to those deserving individual souls that we feel have gone above and beyond to make our stay memorable. We do it quietly and discretely as much as possible.

Tips are not everything.

Caroldoll - I think you are taking this far too personally. If your comments are directed at what I posted, then you truly are. I have no objection to your tipping, whatever you choose to do and if you have helped lots of people, then you are truly one of the human races finest. Now having said that I do feel your use of the word comparing your hard work to that of a "slave" and that the crew work like "slaves" is, to me, the wrong choice of word. I am entitled to have that opinion as much as you are entitled to use whatever word you choose. If you also choose to hand out $ bills at 5 in the morning to whomever, that is your choice, but the way it can come across is as some have written.

I also wrote -quite clearly I thought - that I was sure this was not your intention to give that impression, but this is the way it read, and for those of us who don't know you, this is how it comes across. There really was no personal offence intended in any of my comments. :) I think perhaps I was a tad taken aback at your post as I have read earlier posts written by you and this is absolutely not how I imagined Caroldoll to be in real life - in fact I think somewhere back in the bowels of CC, there is a post where I wrote that "you are a true lady, in every sense of the word" or something like that, my memory is truly failing! :)

No one has said anywhere in this thread that they do not tip - or don't give a helping hand to others - it is just that some choose not to share details with others on an online forum. Their choice not to share, just as you have yours to share.

Exactly as Pinotlover says.

That's it, no more. :)

This entire thread was started by a person who was taken aback by the concept of automatic gratuities, so let's not be too hasty concluding that "everyone tips!" This thread has obviously evolved but the topic was, initially, worthy of conversation.

HOW people tip - their own business, IMHO!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from Oceania's book Terms and Conditions which we get here

Would you read it as the gratuities are built into the price already?

Fares

All fares are listed are New Zealand dollars cruise only per person.................Cruise fares include Non commissionable Port taxes & fees and prepaid gratuities

I also understand the gratuities are already built in when I booked through an Auckland TA. I asked her for clarification, we usually go with Cunard when they are either added automatically or removed by the guest who then pays the crew directly instead. I prefer it as part of the fare as long as I am not then expected to tip directly on top. I find tipping a stressful experience. Worrying about a tip can almost spoil a dining experience when in the USA/Canada.