Cocktail dresses vs. gowns on formal nights - Infinity Alaska

qdgirl

Hi, my extended family is going on its first ever cruise - Celebrity Infinity to Alaska in June this year. We have reserved seating at 8:30 p.m. each night.

I'm struggling to find a gown I like at a price I want to pay, but I have plenty of cocktail dresses already in my closet. I know cocktail dresses are allowed on formal nights per dress code, but will I be "underdressed" in one? My Mom found gowns for both nights.

What's the typical ratio of cocktail dress vs. gown for middle aged and up women? I'm 45. My husband will wear a suit (no tux); I think Mom is trying to get Dad into a tux. 10 year old DD has age-appropriate dresses.

Thanks!

Hi, my extended family is going on its first ever cruise - Celebrity Infinity to Alaska in June this year. We have reserved seating at 8:30 p.m. each night.

I'm struggling to find a gown I like at a price I want to pay, but I have plenty of cocktail dresses already in my closet. I know cocktail dresses are allowed on formal nights per dress code, but will I be "underdressed" in one? My Mom found gowns for both nights.

What's the typical ratio of cocktail dress vs. gown for middle aged and up women? I'm 45. My husband will wear a suit (no tux); I think Mom is trying to get Dad into a tux. 10 year old DD has age-appropriate dresses.

Thanks!

Based upon my wife's observations of our Alaska cruise last year, you will be overdressed in a gown. I bring up my wife as she doesn't do cruise critic and could care less about discussions of dress codes. Also, on our cruise there were very few tuxes.

Edited by dkjretired

Your cocktail dresses will be fine. Outfits range from dressy pants with evening-style tops through cocktail dresses to long gowns or skirts and tops. Wear what suits you.

I typically wear a long dress, or a long skirt and top, because I just don't look good in cocktail dresses but if you have the figure for a nice cocktail dress then wear it.

On Infinity two years ago, there weren't that many "gowns" at formal night on the women. There were a lot of knee-length cocktail dresses like the gorgeous one wallie5446 posted. There also were a lot of dressy-black-pants-with-fancy tops outfits.

If you already have cocktails dresses that you like you will be fine taking those. If you want to find reasonably priced gowns you may want to check online at places like Nordstrom or Dillard's or check out local consignment shops. If your Mom is taking a gown she might be disappointed if you don't join her.

From all of the dress code threads I have read here and on the Princess board, Alaska seems to be a more casual itinerary. I haven't noticed women wearing gowns and the last time my wife wore a gown on a cruise was on our honeymoon in 1991. However those more casual printed maxi dresses seem to be popular at every occasion from BBQs to weddings.

On Infinity two years ago, there weren't that many "gowns" at formal night on the women. There were a lot of knee-length cocktail dresses like the gorgeous one wallie5446 posted. There also were a lot of dressy-black-pants-with-fancy tops outfits.

Thank You from the wifester!

Thanks!

Please don't struggle about this! Wear anything from dress pants and a dressy top, or the plenty of cocktail dresses that you already own. You will not be underdressed, I promise.

Personally, I love to dress up and am usually over-dressed, if anything. And I don't care! Be yourself, and enjoy yourself!

Happy cruising!

Susan

I wear both cocktail dresses and gowns (I'm 34). I have a gown that packs small, doesn't wrinkle, and always fits so that is often in my luggage. I have also worn a convertible dress in a more formal style (even at the captain's table). Wear what you feel comfortable in and makes you feel good!!! I have a cocktail dress in my closet I want to wear on a cruise soon solely so I can say I fit into it again :)

Cruise formal nights are one of the last places in ordinary social life (aside from charity galas and fundraisers) where a girl can appropriately wear a gown. Do so if you like. That being said, the vast majority of women wear cocktail dresses, sundresses or nice pants and tops on Alaska and Caribbian sailings. You'll be comfortable in any of these forms of attire on your sailing.

Enjoy your cruise!

I have a long straight black linen skirt and a pair plain black silk pants that I wear on formal nights. I take along a couple of dressy tops to mix and match with the pants and skirt and toss in a couple of "statement" pieces of jewelry. Everything is light weight and easy to pack. No worries about anything dressier unless that's something you're really into.

It will be three long outfits for me on my upcoming trip - I am sorry if some posters think I will be overdressed but I wear what I am comfortable in and I am not comfortable about showing my legs......

And to the OP you wear what you are comfortable in, there are lots of good suggestions here

Edited by uktog

It will be three long outfits for me on my upcoming trip - I am sorry if some posters think I will be overdressed but I wear what I am comfortable in and I am not comfortable about showing my legs......

And to the OP you wear what you are comfortable in, there are lots of good suggestions here

You are correct, we should all remember the dress code is "smart casual and above.", emphasis should be on "and above." No one should be ashamed at what they wear.

I just returned from sailing to Alaska...got home yesterday. I was on

Solstice and I saw quite a few long dresses/gowns and cocktail dresses

too. Actually, I sat at the Passport Bar most evenings before

dinner (I had late seating) and the photographer was set up in the Grand

Foyer and many, many folks were having formal pictures taken on the

staircase and I noticed lots of the ladies were all dressed up.:)

I wore long skirts with pretty tops on formal nights and felt I was

dressed totally appropriately.

Cocktail dresses, long dresses, skirts, and dressy slacks/tops were all part

of formal attire and will be just fine:)

To the original poster, I hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise:)

Edited by Lois R