Question for those who remove auto tips

Sorry. but can anyone actually answer this question? If you have your tips removed is it all or nothing? a percentage? by department?

I might remove the tips on the next cruise just to find out the answer. And the example I gave was not anything that has happened, it was just an example.

Thanks again for the help. I was not meaning to cause the same problems that always seem to come up when a tipping question is asked.

Sorry. but can anyone actually answer this question? If you have your tips removed is it all or nothing? a percentage? by department?

I might remove the tips on the next cruise just to find out the answer. And the example I gave was not anything that has happened, it was just an example.

Thanks again for the help. I was not meaning to cause the same problems that always seem to come up when a tipping question is asked.

The gratuity adjustment forms I have seen allow you to modify the gratuities for each crewmember. I don't believe you can enter a percentage, I believe you have to enter some set amount of money (including zero) to give the crewmembers.

Even if a deity from above would come down and post the same thing, there will be those who doubt it.

I'm sure someone will shoot this down as well. After so much discussion about tips/gratuities on CC, whatever you want to call it, on our last cruise I asked the steward a question. If I had prepaid the gratuities and I chose to give him something over and above in cash, was he able to keep that money and not turn it in to the pool? He said yes.

Of course they will doubt it. It means that all arguments for removing gratuities, other than for bad service, cannot be justified and are only excuses for bad behavior.

Like the song says: "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."

Edited by RocketMan275

Why actually remove the tips when a simple question at Guest Services should provide all the information you want? I'm sure there is a form you will need to fill out. Just ask for a copy. Then you can post the form here when you return and answer this question.

The gratuity adjustment forms I have seen allow you to modify the gratuities for each crewmember. I don't believe you can enter a percentage, I believe you have to enter some set amount of money (including zero) to give the crewmembers.

Thank you for answering my question. That is what I wanted to know. I will not be back to this thread. Sorry if it got negative. That was not my intent.

Thank you for answering my question. That is what I wanted to know. I will not be back to this thread. Sorry if it got negative. That was not my intent.

Don't let it get to you, it's just the way this forum works sometimes.:)

It seems that cruise lines are moving in the direction that gratuities can't be removed for any reason.

Let me guess you work for ROYAL CARIBBEAN.If you can't remove a gratuities it' not a tip it is part of the price of the cruise.

Edited by caribbean sailor

Funny we just got off the Liberty,last night the MDR was full.Maybe you should worry more about what you tip,and stop guessing what other people tip.Have a great next cruise.:)

Holy hell. My comment about the non-shows in the MDR the last light was directly from the servers from the 2 10top tables that I spoke about. I was not guessing what people tip, I was however saying that there are travelers that do NOT tip at all.

As for me, we leave the auto tips on our account and give extra as well. After 60+ cruises it is clear that some staff are not rewarded for a job well done.

As for having a good time on our next cruise (in 19 days), that goes with out saying.

Here you go. Taken from RCI's official website.

Q: Am I required to pay these adjusted totals?s.gif

A: Gratuities are at the discretion of each guest. These guidelines serve as recommendations to help guests express their gratitude for the outstanding service they experience on their cruise vacation, from members of the dining and housekeeping staff. We hope you find these suggested totals to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction, and thank you for your generous recognition of the Royal Caribbean staff.

Thanks for the link. I guess I'm just seeing things differently.;):) In the thread below, there is an email from Royal and they are calling it a daily service charge. Where I see discretionary coming into play is if someone decides to give something over and above the recommended daily charge.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209634

On the FAQ about gratuities.

Q: Does the automatic gratuity apply to all guests?

A: Yes, the gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories

This doesn't seem discretionary to me.

Edited by iheartbda

Thanks for the link. I guess I'm just seeing things differently.;):) In the thread below, there is an email from Royal and they are calling it a daily service charge. Where I see discretionary coming into play is if someone decides to give something over and above the recommended daily charge.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2209634

On the FAQ about gratuities.

Q: Does the automatic gratuity apply to all guests?

A: Yes, the gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories

This doesn't seem discretionary to me.

Clarea's post #52 explains that you can modify the automatic tips placed on your account. That makes it discretionary because ultimately you are in total control of the amount you choose to tip.

]

Edited by BonTexasNY

Conjecture? Actually a proven fact that HAL requires service personnel to turn in all tips from those who have removed gratuities. Probably true on other lines as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2206593

For what it's worth, on our last Freedom cruise, our stateroom attendant much to my dismay explained in great detail to us the very same system. He kind of lead my bleeding heart dear wife down that path during a conversation about how hard he works. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job but I really don't care how any cruise line compensates their employees. It's none of my business. I usually prepay and if I get extra good service, they get an extra tip. It didn't help that I was scolded by DW for my look of annoyance throughout the entire conversation. Anyway, that's the way he explained it...in great detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clarea's post #52 explains that you can modify the automatic tips placed on your account. That makes it discretionary because ultimately you are in total control of the amount you choose to tip.

]

Yes, I understand that BUT, in the FAQ, modifying the amount is when the service is not satisfactory. They do not start off saying that you can modify the amount from the get go for any reason.

Yes, I understand that BUT, in the FAQ, modifying the amount is when the service is not satisfactory. They do not start off saying that you can modify the amount from the get go for any reason.

I would sincerely hope anyone with service issues attempts to a reasonable level to have them rectified while onboard and not have a bad experience or experiences dampen their cruise. But ultimately discretionary is discretionary and that means at the guests discretion.

It's just the verbiage RCI uses in general, but no reason has to be given to modify or remove auto gratuities.

It is so much easier to leave the auto gratuities in place so you don't have to worry about it. I do tip extra when we are in a suite to the concierge and bar staff.

Maybe RC should do what Celebrity has done and have free gratuities as a part of a promotion when booking a cruise.

I like not to think about it. I guess I always felt uncomfortable the old way when we had to hand an envelope to everyone.

For what it's worth, on our last Freedom cruise, our stateroom attendant much to my dismay explained in great detail to us the very same system. He kind of lead my bleeding heart dear wife down that path during a conversation about how hard he works. Don't get me wrong, he did a great job but I really don't care how any cruise line compensates their employees. It's none of my business. I usually prepay and if I get extra good service, they get an extra tip. It didn't help that I was scolded by DW for my look of annoyance throughout the entire conversation. Anyway, that's the way he explained it...in great detail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have my deepest sympathies. I am well aware that wives will often scold their husbands for the slightest misdeeds.

Still, your report only lends additional credence that this is the policy of all cruise lines. I do not see how any one can continue to deny that the crew will be notified when someone removes gratuities and will be required to turn in any additional tips received from persons on the notification for inclusion in the pool. Those that do deny this are only looking for an excuse to remove auto-gratuities.

You have my deepest sympathies. I am well aware that wives will often scold their husbands for the slightest misdeeds.

Still, your report only lends additional credence that this is the policy of all cruise lines. I do not see how any one can continue to deny that the crew will be notified when someone removes gratuities and will be required to turn in any additional tips received from persons on the notification for inclusion in the pool. Those that do deny this are only looking for an excuse to remove auto-gratuities.

I have no information that they are or aren't notified except for what's written on CC. That was probably the only information my cabin attendant didn't mention :rolleyes: but I really don't care either. He also told us he cannot keep extra tips until his block of cabins combined have reached the minimum tip threshold. Those that over tip fill that threshold gap if he has cabins that don't tip or under tip the minimum. That extra cash also goes into the pool.

Again, take it for what it's worth. All disclaimers apply.

We did the form as soon as it came out, and now we do the pre-paid.

DH typically distributes extra in cash with the classic 'green handshake' at the end of the cruise as well (that's his cruise task).

In a couple of weeks, I'm going on a girl trip, and leaving DH at home, and I typically don't carry much cash.

So... I was wondering if I could add tip $ to staff members on my onboard account.

Has anyone done it that way?

Wendy

We did the form as soon as it came out, and now we do the pre-paid.

DH typically distributes extra in cash with the classic 'green handshake' at the end of the cruise as well (that's his cruise task).

In a couple of weeks, I'm going on a girl trip, and leaving DH at home, and I typically don't carry much cash.

So... I was wondering if I could add tip $ to staff members on my onboard account.

Has anyone done it that way?

Wendy

Yes, you can designate a gratuity amount to any crewmember from your onboard account.