FTTF conspiracy theory?

Try a professional line, and see how well things are supposed to work.

Which professional line did you sail and what ship was it so can we use as an example? What did you see on that line and ship that worked?

I have done RCCL, Carnival, Princess, HAL, Celebrity and NCL. All of them at some point during the cruise had long lines to get on, to get off, tender lines, long lines at GS, etc.

Please help us compare by telling us what line and ship you were on where they had no lines? I wouldn't ind trying them.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

You got it! I think the conspiracy theory is hogwash, but FTTF is exactly that. Turning a profit center out of problems they refuse to try and fix.

What will be next?

FTTF- (faster to the food) skip the buffet line

FTTS- (faster to the sun) Priority deck chairs next to the pool?

And like I asked the person you are responding to. What line and ship were you on that seemed to have the problem figured out and what did you observe about them that made it work?

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

Just roughly, 25 or 26 boats, so, $50,000 a week for the entire company, and 52 weeks a year, so, maybe $2.5 million or so, total. Not much on an asset base of $Billions (each boat maybe $600-800 million or so)? I think there is maybe 600 million shares outstanding, so, almost half a penny or so to earnings?

ETA: I cannot believe they only sell 30 cabins a sailing, however. Is that really all they make available?

Actually it's probably more like 1.4 million revenue (at no cost) because many ships do 4 and 5 day cruises. So for example say 10 ships do the shorter itineraries so every 2 weeks they have 3 sailings. 10 x 3 x 26 (52/2) = 780 sailings with fttf sold at $59.99. Then say 15 ships do 2 cruises every 2 weeks 15 x 2 x 26 (52/2) = 780 sailings with 15 sold. 780 x 2 = 1560 trips selling 15 fttf's per year at $59.99 is $1,403,766

My math may be off a little but you get the point. It's a revenue at no real expense.

What will be next?

FTTF- (faster to the food) skip the buffet line

FTTS- (faster to the sun) Priority deck chairs next to the pool?

Oh, we hope their Revenue Officers aren't reading the board.:)

Edited by eponym

If your theory was correct, then Carnival would have released FTTF purchasing immediately after raising the price (which happened several weeks ago, not today).

As far as I know, FTTF has not been released for any 2016 cruises - including mine.

Lizard , I think you may have just uncovered the next conspiracy that these idiots cant live without. I think Carnival is going to devise a way to cancel 2016 , thereby going straight to 2017 at the end of this year and charging us all the higher 2017 rates.

Hi

I agree with Betty.

Carnival is not the only cruise line that has to deal with long lines.

They are moving many thousands of people and they are doing a pretty good job. I am not waving a banner, I am acknowledging a job well done ( for the most part ) by all the cruise lines.

The reality is that they do not create the long lines it is the passengers who all want to do the same thing at the same time.

If a line is long you should not enter it without waiting patiently. Nobody is forcing you to wait in a line, whether it is at guest services or at the buffet. Most times you can plan things to avoid lines.

Carnival saw an opportunity to cash in by allowing some people to benefit with the FTTF program, this is good for the company. There is no problem to fix.The trick is not to sell so many fttp's that they create a problem.

It is no different than selling some people a better steak at dinner or a room with a balcony. I can't complain that my room doesn't have a view just because it is an inside cabin.

have a great cruise

One thing that might be raised is that smaller family units and a lot less children, and families with children cruise other lines. Not Disney of course.

We are Platinum on Carnival. Love it. Love getting boarding early. Only perk we ever use. On Princess. We became Platinum on our last cruise. We went through the lines. DH griped but the lines went very fast. And we had my four year old grandchild with us, and thankfully she was enchanted with pushing my carryon for the wait.......but FEW children. MORE couples.....made those lines move faster. My grand child was fine. No meltdown even though she was tired. And on Princess. Your cabins are ready when you board.

I bought FTTF when we took her on the Liberty. it was worth every penny. If it had been DH and me......no. would not have bought it.........so to me........it is a blessing for those with small ones in their company.

So I ran into a fellow FTTF hater on the Breeze and he made an interesting point. OK so it's more like a conspiracy theory. The theorist complains that Carnival intentionally keeps lines long, tendering processes slow, and rooms unavailable to keep demand for FTTF high.

While I doubt his theory of the intentional delays, he does have a point- if people are willing to pay for FTTF what incentive does Carnival have to improve these choke points that cause people to buy the convenience in the first place? Why should Carnival try to reduce lines at GS by hiring more staff for example, when they simply say "the long lines are a problem, and here is a way around the problem, if you pay for it."

Not only do they get to avoid fixing a problem, but they gain a new revenue stream at the same time. Genius!

If your "friend" can provide any type of proof to validate his/her theory i might would listen to it. Otherwise, he/she is just full of hot air.

I think y'all are missing the bigger picture. The other cruise lines don't make a profit center out of the line and crowd problem. They fix the problem.

Crowd control is non existent on Carnival, and they don't seem interested in fixing it, at literally OUR expense.

Try a professional line, and see how well things are supposed to work.

I would expect things to be better if I were paying double or more for a cruise.

What I like about FTTF is the convenience of stowing my carry ons in the cabin as soon as I board and being able to leave the ship early on debarkation day. By early I mean after suites, self-assist and those in wheelchairs, etc.

What do you consider a "professional" line? Something more expensive, like Disney? Been on them four times and guess what, the lines at GS got long on those ships too depending on when you when you went to the desk. Couple of times on HAL also, same situation. It's not exclusive to Carnival.

Companies like CCL are in business to make a profit and answer to their shareholders, which are always looking for those profits to increase. Adding additional staff to the desk will increase costs and reduce profits so what happens, the price of the cruise for everyone goes up to cover the additional expense. You want more service then you're going to have to pay for it, one way or another.

As for FTTF, seems pretty simple to me, if you don't like the product or the price don't buy it. What difference does it make to anyone if another person chooses to make that purchase? Besides, they might possibly be saving you money in the long run.

The longest embarkation lines I have ever been in were our 2 Disney cruises, they were 1 1/2 - 2 hours long with little kids....not fun. The quickest was CCL Destiny....walked in at 11:30 went straight to a teller and onto the ship, no wait at all.

I don't know about that "theory" but here's something that happened that is a fact.

Last time I booked FTTF was the day after I booked my cruise in January of 2013 for a February of 2014 sailing. Now, fast forward to this year. I booked a January of 2016 cruise in January of this year, 2015. Suddenly, FTTF is not available.

When I inquired to Carnival's excursion department they said basically that excursions are NEVER available until about 6 months prior to your sailing date. Patently FALSE, but I went with it.

Now, fast forward to today, while I keep checking for FTTF the price went up. In other words, they knew they were going to increase the price and didn't want to have to "grandfather" a bunch of passengers in at the cheaper price.

That's the only reason that they didn't make it available back in January when I booked and the only reason it's not available yet. It has nothing to do with how many Plats and Diamonds will be sailing because they advertise it as allowing at least 15 FTTF excursion purchasers up front before they control it for Plats/Diamonds.

I think I'm right!:mad:

I think it ranks right up there with aliens still being held in Area 51

What do you consider a "professional" line? Something more expensive, like Disney? Been on them four times and guess what, the lines at GS got long on those ships too depending on when you when you went to the desk. Couple of times on HAL also, same situation. It's not exclusive to Carnival.

Companies like CCL are in business to make a profit and answer to their shareholders, which are always looking for those profits to increase. Adding additional staff to the desk will increase costs and reduce profits so what happens, the price of the cruise for everyone goes up to cover the additional expense. You want more service then you're going to have to pay for it, one way or another.

As for FTTF, seems pretty simple to me, if you don't like the product or the price don't buy it. What difference does it make to anyone if another person chooses to make that purchase? Besides, they might possibly be saving you money in the long run.

Don't waste your time, there are a few bashers here who only post negative Carnival comments.....if you ignore them, they sometimes fade back into the woodwork.

So I ran into a fellow FTTF hater on the Breeze and he made an interesting point. OK so it's more like a conspiracy theory. The theorist complains that Carnival intentionally keeps lines long, tendering processes slow, and rooms unavailable to keep demand for FTTF high.

While I doubt his theory of the intentional delays, he does have a point- if people are willing to pay for FTTF what incentive does Carnival have to improve these choke points that cause people to buy the convenience in the first place? Why should Carnival try to reduce lines at GS by hiring more staff for example, when they simply say "the long lines are a problem, and here is a way around the problem, if you pay for it."

Not only do they get to avoid fixing a problem, but they gain a new revenue stream at the same time. Genius!

The GS lines are long and will continue to get longer because people complain about the most insignificant thing.

I think it ranks right up there with aliens still being held in Area 51

You've got to get with the times. Everyone knows they were transferred years ago. We keep them in D.C. now. :cool:

But seriously, I don't get the gripping. The revenue from FTTF is a blip on the radar. It was a response to customer feedback and it makes them a little extra money. If you don't like waiting in line, go at off times.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering about this FTTF buzz when planning our first Carnival cruise that we went on this past April. I figured I would see how it went before deciding if FTTF was worth the extra $$ for our next cruise based on our experience with the first. My conclusion - - we would not pay the extra money for FTTF. Here is what our experience was - my comments are in red.

CARNIVAL’S FASTER TO THE FUN PACKAGE:

Here's what it includes:

(Note: VIFP Club Diamond & Platinum members do not need to purchase this package as these and other benefits are included as part of your VIFP Club status.)

Priority Check-in (We checked in around 11am and boarded the ship the same time as the first groups, which I assume includes these FTTF folks. Security lines moved quickly and by the time we were through they hadn't even started the boarding process yet. We were on the ship, had a table to eat lunch at on the Lido deck along with all the FTTF people anyway.)

Bypass lines and have exclusive security screening lanes for initial embarkation at onset of cruise.

Guaranteed Stateroom (We boarded the ship, headed straight to the Lido deck for a hamburger, enjoyed a couple alcoholic beverages and by the time we were finished the rooms were ready. I would not pay the $ just to be able to drop my carry ons off in the cabin.)

Your stateroom will be ready as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for the fun you're about to have.

Express Luggage (Any items I needed on the beginning of day 1 were in my carry on bag. Didn't matter to me what time our bags arrived, as long as they arrived! If I recall, all our bags were delivered prior to going to dinner that evening.)

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and get settled in for a great vacation!

Guest Services (Had to go to guest services a couple times. At its longest, there were 2 people in front of us. No big deal.)

You'll have a dedicated phone number and line at Guest Services so you can quickly have your questions answered.

Dining Reservations (We used Your Time Dining and loved it. Didn't wait for a table our entire cruise.)

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining).

Priority Tender Boarding (We tendered at one port. Got our number in the morning and had no issues getting off the ship at a reasonable time.)

We hope you take advantage of Carnival's Excursions. If you choose to explore the destination on your own, you will have the option to choose a priority tender from the ship to shore.

Debarkation (We use self-debarkation so we were some of the first off the ship anyways.)

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late debarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

It is my theory FTTF actually helps the lines at guest services.

Every person that is helped at the plat/dia, FTTF line, is one less person in the reg line.

Which line a passenger is serviced from has no effect on speed at guest services. There is never an employee at guest services who stands and waits for PAX at the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF line. All the employees just switch back and forth between the lines and service as many waiting passengers as they can.

Also a point about Carnival not selling or restricting the number of FTTF sold based on Dia. and Plat. cruisers, it is corporate B.S. We have been on some repositioning cruises where 1/2 the ship was Dia/Plat, they still sold FTTF.

Edited by NavarreCruiser

Those lines are the same pre and post FTTF.

At busy times we've seen every station at GS manned and the ship only has so many doors to tender out of.

Same no matter the cruise line.

And airline, and train, and anywhere large groups of people flow.

If I can get my luggage early and literally be FTTF onboard, I'm all over it.

I would purchase this for this perk. I need to be unpacked and everything in its place

and then I can unwind.

Hopefully I will be able to secure a FTTF pass for my January Breeze cruise. Wish I knew when it would come out though since I constantly check.

I was wondering about this FTTF buzz when planning our first Carnival cruise that we went on this past April. I figured I would see how it went before deciding if FTTF was worth the extra $$ for our next cruise based on our experience with the first. My conclusion - - we would not pay the extra money for FTTF. Here is what our experience was - my comments are in red.

CARNIVAL’S FASTER TO THE FUN PACKAGE:

Here's what it includes:

(Note: VIFP Club Diamond & Platinum members do not need to purchase this package as these and other benefits are included as part of your VIFP Club status.)

Priority Check-in (We checked in around 11am and boarded the ship the same time as the first groups, which I assume includes these FTTF folks. Security lines moved quickly and by the time we were through they hadn't even started the boarding process yet. We were on the ship, had a table to eat lunch at on the Lido deck along with all the FTTF people anyway.)

Bypass lines and have exclusive security screening lanes for initial embarkation at onset of cruise.

Guaranteed Stateroom (We boarded the ship, headed straight to the Lido deck for a hamburger, enjoyed a couple alcoholic beverages and by the time we were finished the rooms were ready. I would not pay the $ just to be able to drop my carry ons off in the cabin.)

Your stateroom will be ready as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for the fun you're about to have.

Express Luggage (Any items I needed on the beginning of day 1 were in my carry on bag. Didn't matter to me what time our bags arrived, as long as they arrived! If I recall, all our bags were delivered prior to going to dinner that evening.)

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and get settled in for a great vacation!

Guest Services (Had to go to guest services a couple times. At its longest, there were 2 people in front of us. No big deal.)

You'll have a dedicated phone number and line at Guest Services so you can quickly have your questions answered.

Dining Reservations (We used Your Time Dining and loved it. Didn't wait for a table our entire cruise.)

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining).

Priority Tender Boarding (We tendered at one port. Got our number in the morning and had no issues getting off the ship at a reasonable time.)

We hope you take advantage of Carnival's Excursions. If you choose to explore the destination on your own, you will have the option to choose a priority tender from the ship to shore.

Debarkation (We use self-debarkation so we were some of the first off the ship anyways.)

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late debarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Our experience was the same as yours. The only thing I might have found a small amount of value in would have been debarkation. We used self-assist but I think the folks with priority met in a lounge and were the very first off of the ship. Maybe cost me 30-45 minutes but I probably would have missed breakfast...

Edited by day-day

I get FTTF mostly for the room being ready since we tend to unfortunately bring work / electronics with us. Not fun to lug around. We have had a few occasions where the room was ready by noon. Others where the room wasn't ready until 2. It is nice to get luggage early but not a deal breaker for us. We do like unpacking before sail away if at all possible.

As far as priority debarkation - on our last cruise is was worthless. Self Assist went off and we waited for a long time in a room with no water or anything. And then when it was our turn, we ended up just being in the middle of a mass exodus. We'll be doing self assist from here on out... always.

As far as the conspiracy theory, Carnival, as well as most other vacation type businesses try extremely hard to provide value and great experiences because they know an enormous amount of revenue is based on repeat business. I highly doubt they'd do anything so dramatic to encourage a few more FTTF sales. That's ridiculous.

I seriously doubt that to be honest. In fact, the new policy of no bringing on bottles will effectively help speed up the process of boarding and if the theory were correct, I don't think that Carnival would welcome any new policies that would make boarding go more smoothly.... Plus, the amount of FTTF's offered per cruise are not really of significant number to make me believe that Carnival is proactively looking to increase the wait time just to sell a few. The FTTF numbers sold also depend on how many Platinum and Diamonds there are on board. Just my opinions of course, people will believe what they want to believe.;)

seriously? I've been on 18 cruises and the lines are no longer now than they were 18 cruises ago! In fact the lines at guest services are only bad usually on the first and last nights of a cruise. People wanting to make cash deposits on their account or settling up their bills. I don't think the real issue has anything to do with how many people are working but more so that people have become increasingly impatient! Lines have been customary at banks, grocery stores amusement parks ect but patience has gone out the window. Everyone wants to be waited on now!

Fttf has nothing to do with how long the lines are at the guest services desk. The people in line aren't being helped slower to encourage people to purchase fttf. If you are looking for a reason for the longer lines you might want to consider the increase in cash deposits on accounts and the issues with credit cards some guests have. While being helped at guest services on our last cruise two of the people in line had credit card issues and rejections. The others were putting extra money on their accounts. I'm hearing more and more people leaving towards cash deposits because they can't get a credit card or they can't afford the holds being placed against their debit cards.

As far as rooms being unavailable again this is nothing new it's always been 1:30. The room stewards can't possibly have every single room available the minute they begin embarkation. Nothing has changed with the exception of fttf and platinum/diamond cabins being ready sooner.

Tendering is again an issue of patience. People with excursions booked through carnival get priority tendering along with fttf anc platinum/diamonds. Everyone else is advised to wait and again patience comes into play. Instead of following the announcements people show up wanting to get off right then and are upset with having to wait. 18 cruises later nothing has changed regarding that.

The only exception to the changes is that those who absolutely do not want to wait are given the opportunity to pay a premium to be first. The limited amount of fttf guests have no impact on my cruising experience.

We cruised the breeze in april and saw nothing out of the ordinary that we didn't experience on our first cruise several years ago. No conspiracy and certainly a much improved cruises experience on an awesome ship!

i agree!!!!