San Francisco Fleet week?

Loritd

We will be on the Star during fleet week in San Francisco. Do ships pull in forward or back-in into pier 27? Also how far is the pier to where the Marina Green Festival and Humanitarian Village are held? Hoping to be able to walk to the all the action. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I live in the bay area and was in the city last week when the Star was there. It looked like it backed into the pier so the left side of the boat was towards the city.

The Marina Green is 2 miles from Pier 27.

The GF works a few piers away and every picture she's sent me since 27 opened has Princess ships backed in. Most other lines appear to nose in like the RCCL ship tonight.

Hello when we were there in 2013 we waited off shore before docking @ #35. We watched the action from are balcony. It was very fantastic jets flying right past us, a 747 going very low, stunt planes doing loops. We sat in the bay and waited until Americas cup stopped. A very great Day. We docked about 2 hours late.

• 1 month later...
Just a FYI the Star Princess will be at Pier 35 not at Pier 27 as it will be occupied by The Grand Princess. The Grand gets in at 7AM and the Star does not get in til 1PM....

Star Princess at Pier 35. Pulled in, not backed in. YMMV

575%203.19.12%20Star%20Princess%20viewed%20from%20the%20Coit%20Tower%20100_8725_zpsjkt7ww84.jpg

We will be on the Star during fleet week in San Francisco. Do ships pull in forward or back-in into pier 27? Also how far is the pier to where the Marina Green Festival and Humanitarian Village are held? Hoping to be able to walk to the all the action. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The Star will be coming into Pier 35 and most likely will come in forward. You will be coming into the bay at a very exciting time as the jets fly right over the bay. You might not need to even leave the ship as you most likely will have one of the best seats for the show. The festival area will be very, very crowded.

We were on the Sapphire in 2012 during Fleet Week. The Sapphire that year did an overnight in San Francisco and the first day as we arrived the Blue Angels were performing in the afternoon. The schedule of the ship changed as the port authority would not let us dock as scheduled (at that time we docked by Fishermans Wharf) until after the Blue Angels performance due to the amount of small pleasure craft that were already in the SF bay who were there to watch the Blue Angels. Everyone went on the top decks to watch the performance and I am getting goose bumps just writing about it, it was once in a lifetime. As the performance ended, the jets flew low over the Sapphire. More goose bumps! ;)

One of our most memorable cruises, ever!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We were on the Sapphire in 2012 during Fleet Week. The Sapphire that year did an overnight in San Francisco and the first day as we arrived the Blue Angels were performing in the afternoon. The schedule of the ship changed as the port authority would not let us dock as scheduled (at that time we docked by Fishermans Wharf) until after the Blue Angels performance due to the amount of small pleasure craft that were already in the SF bay who were there to watch the Blue Angels. Everyone went on the top decks to watch the performance and I am getting goose bumps just writing about it, it was once in a lifetime. As the performance ended, the jets flew low over the Sapphire. More goose bumps! ;)

One of our most memorable cruises, ever!

You have a good point there. No way would a cruise ship maneuver into the bay with all the pleasure craft already there. It would be a nightmare keeping them away from the ship's path to the pier. I do agree with you as for being on top deck to watch the show. There could be no better seat, except perhaps the time we watched them mid-way on the Golden Gate bridge. They flew so low I could see the pilot in the cockpit. We watched the America's Cup from the aft of the ship at Pier 35 a couple years ago. It was perfect for viewing and with no crowds to deal with.

Edited by iceleven

I watched a Blue Angels air show from the top deck of the Dawn Princess at Pier 35 a number of years ago, Fantastic view of the air show, you couldn't get a better spot. That year the Red Bull air races were also held down in front of the Marina Green area.

I also saw one of the Americas cup races from Pier 35, the elevated view from the top decks is something special.

Pier 27 down to Marina Green would be a pretty good walk, at least 30-45 minutes I'd guess.

YMMV? I need help with this abbreviation. I've been on CC for a few months, seen it a couple of times and still can't figure it out.thanks in advance.

Your Mileage May Vary. As old as "LOL" and used all over internet, not just CC.