FlowRider - Boogie Version Safe?

Was hoping they would install the waterslides on Allure during dry dock but didn't happen...so back to thoughts of trying the FlowRider. It looks like fun, but I'm a big chicken for myself and for my DS10 to try it (I'm a worrier).

If we did try it, it would be boogie version only. I know there are no guarantees, but is the chance of getting hurt minimal if we stay on our tummy or knees? It seems like there is not to far to fall compared with the stand up version and aside from getting water up our nose, we most likely wouldn't get hurt. Agree?

I suppose the boogie version does look safer than the standing up as you have less distance to fall to the ground. It will depends how you are going to hit the rear wall. Considering the amount of people Flow Riding across the fleet every day, the percentage of people getting hurt is pretty low but of course it does happen.

I have done the boogie board and the stand up version. I did not like the boogie board version because the water is constantly splashing in your face. I felt like I had more control on the stand up side. I think the act of falling just looks like it hurts. I personally never got hurt....it is basically a giant trampoline with water flowing over it. I think the hardest part is just trying it....I waited until day 4 to try it on our last cruise. I wish I would have done it on day 1....because I loved it. I am really looking forward to the flowrider on our upcoming cruise.

Edited by Klstaack

I have done the boogie board and the stand up version. I did not like the boogie board version because the water is constantly splashing in your face. I felt like I had more control on the stand up side. I think the act of falling just looks like it hurts. I personally never got hurt....it is basically a giant trampoline with water flowing over it. I think the hardest part is just trying it....I waited until day 4 to try it on our last cruise. I wish I would have done it on day 1....because I loved it. I am really looking forward to the flowrider on our upcoming cruise.

Don't even know...for the boogie version, do you go on your knees or tummy? Can see water splashing in your face for the latter.

I have done both sand up and boogie boarding several times both on ship and at land based locations. I have had some bruises from standing up but nothing major. I would say that boogie boarding, especially on your stomach, is quite safe. Sometimes you will get pushed back to the back wall, but it's cushioned like the rest of it so not too much happens. My non-adventurous boyfriend did try the boogie boarding and enjoyed it. Even my father with bad knees quite enjoyed boogie boarding after he realized that the stand up just wasn't an option for him. Give it a try, and let your son also try it out! It is quite safe. Do be sure to wear appropriate clothing! Rash guards or snug t-shirts and tight fitting shorts are highly recommended!!! If you sit and watch people long enough, you'll see why :o

Don't even know...for the boogie version, do you go on your knees or tummy? Can see water splashing in your face for the latter.

I guess the best way to describe it is like you are doing a plank.....so you kind of support your body on your arms and your feet are hanging behind you. Do to how the board hits the water it is splashing in your face the whole time....I did not like this since I wear contacts.

For the stand up the only time water splashes in your face is when you fall.

I have done both sand up and boogie boarding several times both on ship and at land based locations. I have had some bruises from standing up but nothing major. I would say that boogie boarding, especially on your stomach, is quite safe. Sometimes you will get pushed back to the back wall, but it's cushioned like the rest of it so not too much happens. My non-adventurous boyfriend did try the boogie boarding and enjoyed it. Even my father with bad knees quite enjoyed boogie boarding after he realized that the stand up just wasn't an option for him. Give it a try, and let your son also try it out! It is quite safe. Do be sure to wear appropriate clothing! Rash guards or snug t-shirts and tight fitting shorts are highly recommended!!! If you sit and watch people long enough, you'll see why :o

Yes, I remember reading that females should wear a tshirt ontop of their bathing suits. If I try it, will do so for sure. :-)

I guess the best way to describe it is like you are doing a plank.....so you kind of support your body on your arms and your feet are hanging behind you. Do to how the board hits the water it is splashing in your face the whole time....I did not like this since I wear contacts.

For the stand up the only time water splashes in your face is when you fall.

Thanks for explaining. Never thought of the water in your face....and good point about contact wearers.

Yes make sure you wear a secure top....on our last cruise there was a woman on the boogie board and her top basically came off. It was entertaining to watch...but I'm sure it was devastating for her.

In my last cruise a guy got seriously injured in the neck and head while doing the standing up version. I rather try it in a mall near me than doing it at sea.

What is more safe about doing it on land vs. at sea? Because of the motion of the ship? My son recently was boogie boarding in Virginia at Great Wolf Lodge and he said they allowed him to do all of the tricks that they now ban on the ships. Now if those tricks were banned due to injury, what does that say about the land based flowriders?

To the OP, it's much like any other action based activity. You can get hurt, but if you follow instructions you're less likely. Most only experience embarrassment when they lose a bathing suit or don't manage to stay on long enough.

What I can tell you is that the hard core riders who do stand up are some of the best people on the ship. My older son spends most of the cruise on those lines, and has made great friends that way. The common love of flowboarding is what binds them together.

It might not be any more safe, but you are closer to health care. Espically if the ship is at sea.

Another thought is if we do try it, to try it closer to the end of the cruise. Would hate to have a bad injury , but it would ruin the vacation if happened at the start.

But as njmomof2 commented, we would certainly follow the rules and be cautious if we did try it.

Was hoping they would install the waterslides on Allure during dry dock but didn't happen...so back to thoughts of trying the FlowRider. It looks like fun, but I'm a big chicken for myself and for my DS10 to try it (I'm a worrier).

If we did try it, it would be boogie version only. I know there are no guarantees, but is the chance of getting hurt minimal if we stay on our tummy or knees? It seems like there is not to far to fall compared with the stand up version and aside from getting water up our nose, we most likely wouldn't get hurt. Agree?

The helicopter pad is at the other end of the ship. Might want to check that out while the kid enjoys the FlowRider.

Someone recently would have a different opinion on the safety. Of course attorney's will exaggerate and make them seem like death traps.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/passenger-rights/flowrider-accident-seriously-injures-passenger-on-independence-of-the-seas/

Yikes, that article is quite scary.. As us the picture. There was a thread the other day about the Independence accident.

I would be curious to know the number of people on the florider who come off fine vs the number injured. My kids have enjoyed the crap out of the florider for years. The worst we have had is a toenail partially torn off. Granted not great, but RC was great about making sure we were fine or sending us to the infirmary. Not sure if they would have charged us.... But my 15yo was good just taping it up.

Is bike riding safe? Is skateboarding safe? How about basketball or football or baseball or the multitude of other things we let our kids do.

Yes, there are risks. I agree it's harder to deal with injuries on vacation. But I have a hard time reading all then doomsday posts here without responding that it's pretty safe. And my kids did all the crazy stuff that is now not allowed and they are still good to go.

Another thought is if we do try it, to try it closer to the end of the cruise. Would hate to have a bad injury , but it would ruin the vacation if happened at the start.

But as njmomof2 commented, we would certainly follow the rules and be cautious if we did try it.

You have the idea. I have been riding for years, but my DW is very tentative. She has ridden but is concerned about hurting herself, and in turn ruining the rest of the/her holiday.

The rules are there for a reason. However, as with any sport accidents and injuries can happen.

Someone recently would have a different opinion on the safety. Of course attorney's will exaggerate and make them seem like death traps.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2015/05/articles/passenger-rights/flowrider-accident-seriously-injures-passenger-on-independence-of-the-seas/

They can exaggerate on the opinions but they can't change the facts

What is more safe about doing it on land vs. at sea? Because of the motion of the ship? My son recently was boogie boarding in Virginia at Great Wolf Lodge and he said they allowed him to do all of the tricks that they now ban on the ships. Now if those tricks were banned due to injury, what does that say about the land based flowriders?

To the OP, it's much like any other action based activity. You can get hurt, but if you follow instructions you're less likely. Most only experience embarrassment when they lose a bathing suit or don't manage to stay on long enough.

What I can tell you is that the hard core riders who do stand up are some of the best people on the ship. My older son spends most of the cruise on those lines, and has made great friends that way. The common love of flowboarding is what binds them together.

All I can think is that an accident on land will have a rescue 3 minutes away from you. On the other hand while I was in a cruise in which a guy had injured to his neck and head and all they do was arrive 3 hours earlier to the port.

I've seen boogie boarders get slammed against the rear wall when they turn sideways to the water flow.

And here I was thinking no one was watching.:D

I was one that ended up getting slammed against the back wall. Shoulder ended up being quite sore for a few days afterwards but no permanent damage.

Actually let me change my statement. It's very dangerous. Please don't do it. They way my kids don't have to wait a long time and then ask for private lessons or rentals because of the long wait. [emoji6][emoji6]

Of course after my crazy statements my kids will be the ones to get hurt.... [emoji23][emoji23]