About Ice Cream in Lido

holacanada

Butter Pecan, Chocolate, Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Coffee, Cookies & Cream, Guava, Mango, Neopolitan, Rum Raisin, Strawberry, Vanilla, Vanilla Fudge

Here are the flavours of ice cream I could identify on the Oosterdam while my last experience.

Have a good day !

Holacanada will be aboard the Veendam in 43 days

Is the Lido ice cream selection this good on all the ships? (i.e. Amsterdam)... I am sailing the Amsterdam in one week, and the kids would LOVE a good selection of ice cream. Well... maybe me too. ;)

It's a pretty decent selection, and as mentioned, it does vary from day to day. There is also soft serve, no sugar added, and yogurt available, most of the time.

If there's something you want that's not listed on the board, ask. Sometimes you may get lucky and they have it nearby.

Welcome Back, HolaCanada,

Hope you had a great cruise.

Will you be posting some comments?

I had a very good experience on board the Oosterdam ! A experience you cannot forget ! Good ports of call / Exotic – Sea days / A lots of – Ship well maintain.

I left the ship one week ago and I expect to leave again towards new horizons (!) on Veendam next july.

I am going to assit at a baseball game in the Green Monster ! Against NYY !

Wow ! For a baseball and a cruiser fan like me it's a greeeeeeeeat opportunity !

I wrote lots of comments (9 pages !!!) on a French-Canadian forum : Le monde des croisières.com / Easier for me !

Holacanada

Any idea who the manufacturer of the ice cream is?

Sorry rkacruiser but I think that we can't give this commercial information on the CC forum. Is it true ?

You can easily find an answer by typing a few keywords on a search engine of your choice.

Hint : based in Florida ;)

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada
Adding and translating

Decent ice cream selection, but certainly has been scaled back in recent years. On our 1st HAL cruise, there were 6-7 selections per day, very exotic flavors. Last cruise in April, we were fortunate to get 1 exotic selection a day such as mango or coconut (flavors we don't generally see in grocery stores at home) with vanilla, chocolate, & sometimes strawberry offered too.

We also noticed the toppings selection, especially the cordials, have been reduced as well, but at least HAL is still offering complimentary ice cream, unlike some other lines that charge a premium price for one scoop.

I find the soft-serve to be better than the scooped ice cream, especially when they have raspberry or pineapple soft-serve.

And it's really great when they have the watermelon sorbet from the dining room dessert menu in the Lido.

The company that produces and sells this ice cream (mentioned above) also offers another range of Tropical and Italian type of product. I think HA do not do so in the most expensive expenditure.

Holacanada

My 10 year old DS loved the selection on the Westerdam on the repositioning cruise. Average 6 selections including frozen yogurt and sherbet. Other flavors not mentioned yet include banana, cookie dough, and rocky road. Then there was always vanilla and chocolate soft serve. And don't forget, you can choose bowl, regular cone or waffle cone.

Too cold today for ice cream. :mad:

Something we noticed is that if both sides of the buffet are open, they offer the same standard flavours, but the variety flavours were different.

I've noticed this as well on the ships that have ice cream on both sides of the buffet.

I had a very good experience on board the Oosterdam ! A experience you cannot forget ! Good ports of call / Exotic – Sea days / A lots of – Ship well maintain.

I left the ship one week ago and I expect to leave again towards new horizons (!) on Veendam next july.

I am going to assit at a baseball game in the Green Monster ! Against NYY !

Wow ! For a baseball and a cruiser fan like me it's a greeeeeeeeat opportunity !

I wrote lots of comments (9 pages !!!) on a French-Canadian forum : Le monde des croisières.com / Easier for me !

Holacanada

When will you be at Fenway?

If it is your first visit, you are in for a big treat. One of the most beautiful baseball parks in the country. It has been lovingly maintained and it s areal experience.

Enjoy. :)

I am reading these posts and just shaking my head. We spent 38 days on the Oosterdam last year (on a transpacific cruise) and where very unhappy with the Lido ice cream selection. In fact, it became a joke among many passengers. Every day (at lunch) they had Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. They did alter the flavors of the sugar-free ice cream but the regular stuff was always just Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. Once very few days they actually would have one other regular flavor, but unless you ate lunch early it was long gone by the time you got to dessert. The selection of ice cream in the MDR was slightly better as they always would have an additional flavor every day.

We would also mention that the entire lunch Lido experience was never what we would call great. DW and I did fine with the HAL sandwich bar,, but that was out of frustration with the regular Lido buffet. To be blunt, the offerings were usually quite boring. We also were not overly impressed with the HAL lunch salad bar which had fewer options then we find on most other mass market lines. But the bottom line is that we could always find something to eat. And by the way, we were really impressed with lunch in the Pinnacle (lunch impresses us more then dinner in that venue). But they only offer the Pinnacle lunch on some sea days. Since our cruise had more then 18 sea days there were a few opportunities, but on short cruises you are lucky if they are open more then one day for lunch.

Hank

There was always a big line in front of me at the Veendam ice cream station. I once got to the head of the line and some old woman stepped in front of me. She ignored my suggestion that the back of the line was elsewhere. The long line behind me groaned. She ordered a dish of ice cream. Slowly. Then another. Then another. She was not sure which ice creams she wanted or which toppings she wanted. Needed to hear the choices over and over. Took her forever and then she blocked me while she tried to get her companion to carry some of the ice cream. I kept a smile on my face, not the biggest problem in the world.

The crew member serving the ice cream could not have been slower, the most inefficient cruise ship worker I have seen. The printed list of flavors was regularly wrong and the crew member was confused about the flavors in the cooler. I saw the second station open just once for about five minutes. That man could dish ice cream like crazy! I wondered if HAL was deliberately discouraging ice cream consumption.

The ice cream was good, though, not quite top of the line, but good.

Hlitner,

I understand your comment about the ice cream. That is why I asked my question. Haagen-Daaz was once served in the Lido and it was delicious! That was replaced a few years ago by another brand that was not a national one and whose name tonight I cannot correctly recall. It was not that same quality as before.

I wonder who now provides the ice cream that the OP described.

I am reading these posts and just shaking my head. We spent 38 days on the Oosterdam last year (on a transpacific cruise) and where very unhappy with the Lido ice cream selection. In fact, it became a joke among many passengers. Every day (at lunch) they had Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. They did alter the flavors of the sugar-free ice cream but the regular stuff was always just Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry. Once very few days they actually would have one other regular flavor, but unless you ate lunch early it was long gone by the time you got to dessert. The selection of ice cream in the MDR was slightly better as they always would have an additional flavor every day.

We would also mention that the entire lunch Lido experience was never what we would call great. DW and I did fine with the HAL sandwich bar,, but that was out of frustration with the regular Lido buffet. To be blunt, the offerings were usually quite boring. We also were not overly impressed with the HAL lunch salad bar which had fewer options then we find on most other mass market lines. But the bottom line is that we could always find something to eat. And by the way, we were really impressed with lunch in the Pinnacle (lunch impresses us more then dinner in that venue). But they only offer the Pinnacle lunch on some sea days. Since our cruise had more then 18 sea days there were a few opportunities, but on short cruises you are lucky if they are open more then one day for lunch.

Hank

31 days on the Statendam and the Lido never had my favorite, coffee:(. I did learn to appreciate sherbet, and our wonderful dining steward would order a sundae (other than the one on the dessert menu) for me:).

We had never been to the Pinnacle for lunch, and when we decided to go, I called and they were closed for a private party. We will try again when we are back on the Statendam in July.

Karen

Hlitner,

I understand your comment about the ice cream. That is why I asked my question. Haagen-Daaz was once served in the Lido and it was delicious! That was replaced a few years ago by another brand that was not a national one and whose name tonight I cannot correctly recall. It was not that same quality as before.

I wonder who now provides the ice cream that the OP described.

I could be wrong but I think HAL, at one point, was serving Edy's ice cream. Maybe that is the brand they still serve?

I could be wrong but I think HAL, at one point, was serving Edy's ice cream. Maybe that is the brand they still serve?

On my first couple of cruises, the kitchen tour indicated they made the ice cream on the ship. I doubt that's still true, but you never know.

I'm guessing like everything else on the ships, it depends on when and where they receive supplies. Some ships may re-stock in the US with US brands, and others in overseas ports with European, Australian, or Asian brands. That could also explain the differences in availability of certain flavors. It's just not practical to carry all the ice cream for the entire ship's season onboard when they can pick it up in port as part of the regular grocery supply order.

I think whether the ice cream is produced on board ship probably varies by ship.

All they need is a "batch freezer" to make the ice cream (think of a home ice cream maker but larger) and a very cold freezer to freeze it quickly so ice crystals don't form. They could easily do it on a ship.

I was disappointed by the flavors on my March cruise on the Maasdam. Like someone else posted, it seemed like it was pretty much always vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, with a no sugar added variety. I was really hoping for an exotic flavor, like I've seen on these boards, like coconut.