A few ?s

brtls5

If folks don't take their passport off the ship, why do they bother bringing their passport on the ship?

There was a post sometime ago from a person who actually missed the ship. If you find and read it you will never leave the ship without your passport. There seems to be a lot of urban legends about the port agent retrieving your belongs from your safe and about the value of a passport copy. Do you really think there is some information on a passport copy that the state department can't find in a federal government computer database based on your SSN, name, etc? As soon as the ship departs the port agent and everybody else goes home. They don't hang around waiting for lost/drunk tourists.

Edited by travler27

I honestly don't understand what the point is in leaving your passport on the ship. If, heaven forbid, you miss the ship, how is having your passport in your stateroom safe going to help you?

As far as AT&T is concerned, they have international plans that you can add to your existing plan temporarily for 30 days. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

If folks don't take their passport off the ship, why do they bother bringing their passport on the ship?

There was a post sometime ago from a person who actually missed the ship. If you find and read it you will never leave the ship without your passport. There seems to be a lot of urban legends about the port agent retrieving your belongs from your safe and about the value of a passport copy. Do you really think there is some information on a passport copy that the state department can't find in a federal government computer database based on your SSN, name, etc? As soon as the ship departs the port agent and everybody else goes home. They don't hang around waiting for lost/drunk tourists.

I bring my passport on the ship because I need it to board a plane to take me to Miami or Ft Lauderdale from Canada! Once I board the ship, I have not needed it anymore till I clear customs post cruise and till I go to an airport to board the plane back to Canada!

Different for Americans I understand, but just saying, there are reasons!

Edited by SMSACE6

We always carry a copy of our passports and leave the originals in our safe.

More and more ports are requiring photo ID when returning to the port. Especially if it is a US territory port. ( Key West, San Juan, St Thomas to name a few )

It is a good idea to always carry some form of photo ID.

That's what we do as well. :)

LuLu

I honestly don't understand what the point is in leaving your passport on the ship. If, heaven forbid, you miss the ship, how is having your passport in your stateroom safe going to help you?

As far as AT&T is concerned, they have international plans that you can add to your existing plan temporarily for 30 days. http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

ATT calling plans do not include calls made onboard, only on land.

On some itins the ship holds your passport for the duration of the cruise.

OP, you may want to consider getting a DMV issued ID card for your kid. Then you will have a government-issued picture ID for him, just in case. Our daughter has one, and enjoys having her "drivers license."

In "Fun Times" on port days there is an emergency contact number. (Normally on the front page at the bottom)

Take it with you on port stops!

It's their port agent who can be extremely helpful to you if you have an unfortunate situation in port. ;)

LuLu

I always take our passports with us, not waving in our hands but hidden in a pocket on the back of my cross body bag. What good are they if you don't have it with you when you need it.

ATT calling plans do not include calls made onboard, only on land.

On some itins the ship holds your passport for the duration of the cruise.

Good point about the ship holding the passport. When I sailed the Med before it was held until the last day.

I cringe when I hear people advising that you leave your passport on the ship. If the worse happens, you miss the ship or if you get badly injured or sick and you need to be transported home, you'll need your passport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I cringe when I hear people advising that you leave your passport on the ship. If the worse happens, you miss the ship or if you get badly injured or sick and you need to be transported home, you'll need your passport.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

What if you lose your passport or its stolen? When you get back to the state's are just stuck waiting to clear customs like Tom Hanks in The Terminal? I ask because if you don't have a BC with you you're gonna have to wait awhile possibly missing flights or other reservations.

Again if you miss the ship someone is there with your documents, if you get sick, your cabin mate can get your stuff. If you're injured and miss the ship I'd bet the cruise line calls local hospitals and see if anything came up and makes arrangements. I doubt the lines want that story starting on local news and going all the way up to 60 minutes about how they don't care about you and left you high and dry without even your passport.

Take your drivers license and S&S card. If you miss the ship, they will send security to your room and leave your Passport with the Port Authority there. This has been confirmed by passengers that it has happened to as well as John Heald. While I admit, there are some things he's not always correct on, I do believe this. Keep Passport in the safe so it doesn't get lost/wet/whatever.

Yep! When I first cruised i would take my passport. Worry about losing it etc. now I take drivers license and S & S. Passport number is for life! I remember a few years back people on an excursion in puerto Vallarta getting robbed by the cartels or Gangs there and had passports stolen too! That would be horrible.

Other than the cost of replacement, why would having your passport get stolen be any worse than having your DL get stolen?

People act like passports are made of diamond encrusted gold.

Edited by travler27

And note that he did NOT have a valid Passport. If he had, it would have been left with the Port Authority. It is not urban legend it is fact.

And just exactly how do you know that it is a "fact"?

Edited by travler27

Other than the cost of replacement, why would having your passport get stolen be any worse than having your DL get stolen?

Well if your DL is stolen and passports onboard someone can go get it. Most likely if you have your passport and its stolen, you probably have your allergist your DL in it as well meaning you're even out more money, and hassle getting back onboard which would stress me out more on vacation. Also its the book itself and if the chip inside goes to the wrong person not only is your personal information available, but someone can learn to duplicate the chip to make fake passports. I'm sure there's other reasons but that's what comes to my mind first

Passports are more valuable than a DL. It is a Federal ID which trumps a State ID - hence you can use your Passport to fly overseas where a DL is useless.

Well, see post #8, but if that isn't good enough, I am also on other cruise boards which shall remain nameless. However, this exact discussion was had over there and they thought they should bring their Passports ashore as well. They confirmed what I said through Carnival themselves and will now be leaving them in the safe. Here is a snapshot of that conversation for your viewing pleasure. Keep in mind that you need to read from the bottom of each picture up as the oldest post is at the bottom and most recent at the top.

6c44ed592ccf8d8b5ce3602f88af5b02.jpgc6d42719db0084fb2a217bd36cd4e488.jpgac886c96d0253fbdffb94ec7308aa6f0.jpg

We always......and I mean always, carry our passports on our person whenever we step foot on foreign soil....that is why we have passports! JMHO:)

Don't cruise to the med and stop in Turkey then...... All passports are collected before you leave the ship.

Edited by jimbo5544

On our last cruise, there were many announcements for certain persons to contact GS. We assumed it was for passengers not dinged back in.

DH saw officers outside a cabin near us with activity going on inside.

At the Diamond party, he asked a GS Supervisor if we had left some passengers behind at the last port. She told him, we were seconds away from leaving them behind. They had already handed the passports to the Port Authorities and were just about to pull up the ramp when they appeared. She was there to supervise all of this.

So all this activity going on outside our cabin was probably security and GS retrieving the passports.

We are in the camp of taking our passports with us off the ship.

It's also kinda cool to get them stamped at each port.

Where do you get them stamped? I've heard people talking about getting theirs stamped while in port, and the way they talk about it, it's quite a hassle.