Anyone Back From 5/15 Solstice Alaska Sailing?

curtdesilets

Sometimes the wife an I just want to eat... not dress up and converse for a couple hours. this is good to know!

I remember they had some Indian Food for Lunch sometimes, that was quite good. Did you come across any of that?

The buffet usually had Indian food at both lunch and dinner, and quite good.

Also sushi at dinner.

I'm on my phone as well. We picked up a cold bug on board so I haven't had much energy to get on the computer yet. All of our stops were amazing. Alaska is beautiful and our weather could not have been more story book.

I was disappointed at all the cost cutting going on. I have never seen charges for room service before and now you can pretty much only get coffee, hamburger, hotdogs and very basic things at no cost. Every morning room service messed up our coffee. It really isn't that hard to bring cream. Room service was a huge disappointment.

Cost cutting can certainly be seen in MDR and buffet. We were on Eclipse 2 years ago and the food was much better. The Allure last year was far superior. You can just see it in the 4 frozen shrimp you get in the cocktail or the extremely salty escargot.

Also of disappointment was shore excursion staff who had completely wrong info about wheelchair accessibility in Victoria and we're pretty rude and dismissive. The lady told me there were no wheelchair accessible taxis or shuttles in Victoria and we should stay on board to be safe. What a crock. We found it easier to get wheelchair transport in Victoria then in Seattle.

Mr. Nixon was an absolute highlight but all of his shows are replayed on channel 20 so don't feel like you must make every class but you certainly must watch them all. I will say the Totem Heritage center discounted a lot of what Mr. Nixon said in his talk especially in regards to shame poles and red lips but he is certainly entertaining. We bought his DVDs but find myself fact checking things that just sound off.

In Ketchikan some of hiked, some went shopping and others went to the small museums in town. All had a lovely day. We went to Crab Catcher before getting on board. Clam Chowder was wonderful.

In Juneau we did the float plane for the 5 glacier tour. Loved every second of it. Made me wish we had also done the Misty Fjords one the day before also.

In Skagway we rented a car and took it along the road that follows the train. Much more economical. Stopped in Carcross. Saw a bear on the side of the road.

In Victoria we took ACCESSIBLE taxi from Pier to Empress for $10 CAN each way. Had dinner at the Banker and Bard (loved it) and walked around. Lovely way to spend time there.

Overall we really enjoyed the trip. How could you not when visiting Alaska in 70 degree weather? But the cost cutting made us not rebook on ship. Plus---we booked a better deal with this cruise then they were offering onboard...all 3 1,2,3 Go offers. On board they were only giving one of the offers with up to $500 credit. I think you can do better waiting for a sale. We will return to Alaska but most likely on another line.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

Shotzyok thanks for the great pictures!

Question, at which port did you do the crabbing? Was it a private tour and what did it cost? I was searching this morning trying to find a restaurant in Seattle with Dungeness crabs, but this tour looks like it might be an option.

Thanks again!

Question, at which port did you do the crabbing? Was it a private tour and what did it cost? I was searching this morning trying to find a restaurant in Seattle with Dungeness crabs, but this tour looks like it might be an option.

Thanks again!

Terry, I ate Dungeness Crabs the night before my cruise and they

were FABULOUS........the restaurant is called Chandler's Crabhouse

in the Lake Union area of Seattle.....omg....:D....I HIGHLY recommend

this place:)

Lois I was trying not to bother you too much on your Cruise report thread! Thanks for the restaurant tip. We are flying in Wednesday night and staying at the CedarBrook Lodge near the airport. I will do some intel on the Lake Union area and see if it's doable. Thanks again!

Thanks again!

The crabbing was in Ketchikan. It was the Wilderness Exploration and Crab Feast. We purchased it through the ship. It was kinda pricey but definitely worth it. It is all you can eat crab and they keep bringing them and don't stop. We had a really good time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We will be on Solstice starting June 19th, and I am looking for clarification on dinner service while the ship is in Victoria.

One report says there is one sitting in the MDR at 5:00 and this did not go well.

Sounds like the buffet might definitely be a better choice or specialty dining.

Looking for clarification. One seating - all open seating in the MDR that night? If you weren't going into Victoria, could you dine later? Or did they close down at 6:00 or so? Was all specialty dining available if you didn't go into Victoria?

Want to be able to inform others in my party.

We will be on Solstice starting June 19th, and I am looking for clarification on dinner service while the ship is in Victoria.

I can help direct you; here is the link to a post which contains the newsletter for Day 7. Download it and scroll to the bottom for the dining options. To clarify, dinner on Victoria night is available in the MDR from 5 - 9 pm, with open seating. So it wasn't just one 5:00 seating, but I suppose it seemed crowded as many people would have chosen to eat at that time before going into port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46523208&postcount=80

Thank you Karen, I appreciate the PDF of the Daily. It had all the information I needed.

(Ooops I posted this earlier, and then I found the link to all the Daily's from that first sailing posted by funiseog. so nevermind)

Did you post any more of the daily's I'd love to have a chance to reveiw them so that I can give a head's up to the others in my group.

Edited by Cruise Arizona

I can help direct you; here is the link to a post which contains the newsletter for Day 7. Download it and scroll to the bottom for the dining options. To clarify, dinner on Victoria night is available in the MDR from 5 - 9 pm, with open seating. So it wasn't just one 5:00 seating, but I suppose it seemed crowded as many people would have chosen to eat at that time before going into port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46523208&postcount=80

And the buffet was open for dinner a little earlier...

And the buffet was open for dinner a little earlier...

And it stayed open later than it said. I mentioned earlier how surprised and delighted we were to find a full dinner buffet available later in the evening when we returned from Victoria. It was a very nice way to spend the last evening onboard, just relaxing and eating. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Disembarkation, was easy peasy. We had an 11:35 am flight on Southwest. We did the luggage valet which Southwest wasn't listed. I filled it out and turned it in. About 4pm Thursday MY boarding pass and 2 luggage tags showed up. I called guest relations about my DW's boarding pass. I found out that it is $20 a person for 1 boarding pass. Hope this helps . Ask fr more

Can you explain more about the luggage Valet or direct where to find info. Much appreciated!

We enjoyed it so much we booked another on board

The weather was great High 60's-70's.

In Tracy arm we did the boat trip

In Juneau we shopped and took the 5:30 to Taku lodge.

In Skagway we took the White pass train and had the car to ourselves.

We chose not to get off the ship in Victoria

Naturalist Brett Nixon? and his wife were very entertaining and the production shows were good.

We ate in Silk Harvest one night and had great dinner companions the rest.

MDR food was just ok.

So it looks like timing works out to do the Tracy Arm excursion (what time did that start). We are also booked on 5:30 Taku Lodge seaplane, but wasn't sure how Tracy Arm excursions work. Do you return to ship if you explore Juneau to pick up the Taku excursion. Just not sure how to fit all in together.

Skagway - did you do train round trip? Are you allowed to get off at summit or do you just turn around and return. We would love to train up and rent a car down but I don't think that is an option! We would like some time in town so we don't want to do a train combo excursion for 6 hours.

Also we did late seating in MDR as our experience with Caribbean is we end up eating later anyway usually in speciality or Blu - but this trip is about seeing and experiencing Alaska so that's where the $$$ are being spent. I guess we should have done Select but too late now. Hopefully will work out ok. We have bro/sis in law with us and they have never cruised and I don't want to disappoint them. So many decisions! Thanks for any advice. CC is the best

So it looks like timing works out to do the Tracy Arm excursion (what time did that start). We are also booked on 5:30 Taku Lodge seaplane, but wasn't sure how Tracy Arm excursions work. Do you return to ship if you explore Juneau to pick up the Taku excursion. Just not sure how to fit all in together.

Skagway - did you do train round trip? Are you allowed to get off at summit or do you just turn around and return. We would love to train up and rent a car down but I don't think that is an option! We would like some time in town so we don't want to do a train combo excursion for 6 hours.

Also we did late seating in MDR as our experience with Caribbean is we end up eating later anyway usually in speciality or Blu - but this trip is about seeing and experiencing Alaska so that's where the $$$ are being spent. I guess we should have done Select but too late now. Hopefully will work out ok. We have bro/sis in law with us and they have never cruised and I don't want to disappoint them. So many decisions! Thanks for any advice. CC is the best

Hi,:) I did the train on the 5/8 cruise too. The one that is roundtrip....

You don't get off the train anywhere during this trip. It was really

awesome though...the scenery is beautiful:D

Can you explain more about the luggage Valet or direct where to find info. Much appreciated!

Luggage Valet, flight has to be after 11:30 am, and out of Seatac.

I think about Sunday or Monday, you will get a full sheet application, inserted in the daily schedule. Completely fill this out and return it ASAP to guest relations, you also need to take a copy of all your flight details, I took our complete receipt, they will make a copy. The application lists all airlines involved. If your airline ISN'T listed, you can still turn it, Southwest isn't listed but I still turned it in and it was accepted. Cost is $20 for 2 bags and 1 boarding pass, plus whatever bag fees your airline charges. About 5pm Thursday night and envelope showed up with my boarding pass and 2 airline luggage tags. Put the luggage tags on the bags and put in the hall, we didn't see the bags again until Dallas. They were actually the 1st on the luggage pickup in Dallas, as you can tell the ship printed tags look different then all the others.

It made express walkoff so easy.

Luggage Valet, flight has to be after 11:30 am, and out of Seatac.

I think about Sunday or Monday, you will get a full sheet application, inserted in the daily schedule. Completely fill this out and return it ASAP to guest relations, you also need to take a copy of all your flight details, I took our complete receipt, they will make a copy. The application lists all airlines involved. If your airline ISN'T listed, you can still turn it, Southwest isn't listed but I still turned it in and it was accepted. Cost is $20 for 2 bags and 1 boarding pass, plus whatever bag fees your airline charges. About 5pm Thursday night and envelope showed up with my boarding pass and 2 airline luggage tags. Put the luggage tags on the bags and put in the hall, we didn't see the bags again until Dallas. They were actually the 1st on the luggage pickup in Dallas, as you can tell the ship printed tags look different then all the others.

It made express walkoff so easy.

Is this available with a disembark in Vancouver? Can you use OBC to pay for it?