Total Eclipse : A pictorial review of the Tradewinds Transatlantic crossing 2015

scubacruiserx2

Ok but if you say it 3 times quickly, with no mistakes - after 3 rounds , on our cruise . ;)

Would that be before or after you've warmed him up with a few drinks? :D :eek:

Great start to your review. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Celebrity because at some point I'm sure we will be looking to try a Celebrity cruise ourselves. Maybe even a transatlantic, but DH has assured me that he's not quite ready for that yet. I will win him over eventually, so I want to be prepared when I do! :p

Would that be before or after you've warmed him up with a few drinks? :D :eek:

Great start to your review. I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Celebrity because at some point I'm sure we will be looking to try a Celebrity cruise ourselves. Maybe even a transatlantic, but DH has assured me that he's not quite ready for that yet. I will win him over eventually, so I want to be prepared when I do! :p

Joe may confirm, but I feel they (Princess and Celebrity) are more alike than different.:D

Joe may confirm, but I feel they (Princess and Celebrity) are more alike than different.:D

Looking forward to your review. ;)

QUOTE=perfect match;46666254]Would that be before or after you've warmed him up with a few drinks? :D :eek:

Welcome aboard Julia and Nancy ! Mic makes a good point , and a reference point . With our 4 previous cruises ( and our next cruise ) on the Caribbean Princess , there will be some comparisons between the ships . A more accurate comparison should be the Constellation vs the Caribbean Princess , or the Eclipse vs the Regal . But since our last 2 cruises have been the Eclipse and the Caribbean , the reference point will be old vs new .

woo hooo!!! Joining in to read all about it!

We're going on NCL this summer to Alaska, but I did look at Celebrity as one of my options. I am just not familiar enough with Celebrity so I went with NCL in the end after looking at all the pros and cons that would work for my family. (We debated Princess too).

Good morning everyone - time to get this trip going again . This was our first trip on the Solstice class ship and we had some strong first impressions . It's a beautiful ship , with all the bells and whistles . Kinda reminds me of a new car . Our cars are old and reliable and we love them . But on this trip we got to ride in some brand new cars . Wow , amazing things in the new cars , but our learning curve is falling fast . And so the new ship is gonna take some time , but we had plenty . After lunch we had time for some exploring . We had wanted to sign up for the Persian Garden so went to find it and have a look . Being used to the 3 elevator / stairways in the Caribbean Princess ( CB) , required adjusting to the 2 elevator / stairway system used in the newer ships like the Eclipse or the Regal . I've gotta say I like 3 better . However , we like the all glass elevator of the Eclipse .

DSC02181_zpsxnubnzzm.jpg

And I love the deck plan model pointing fore and aft near the elevator .

DSC02222_zps0rnadnkk.jpg

And we found the Persian Garden hot seats . We thought that these would come in handy later when we reached cooler temps in Europe . The door at the far end lead to a warm aroma room and behind me was a HOT steam room .

DSC02199_zpsfzvazaze.jpg

$ 200 each (plus an 18% gratuity) . We said yes . Next order of business was the lifeboat drill . We were to report to the Tuscan Grill - without life jackets . My concerns with the 2 elevator system were realized when we hit gridlock all around the elevators . We like using the stairs on cruises so waiting for the elevator was not a problem . However getting to the stairs took some doing with the throng of people , encircling the elevators . After the life boat drill it was much worse with us being stuck totally aft and many people waiting for their ride on the elevators , between us and the stairs . We waited until the Tuscan Grill emptied and after about 15 minutes , tried to get to the stairs . But can I say , the elevator area still looked like a mosh pit at a Lawrence Welk Concert ! :eek:

Back in our cabin with life and limb spared , we watched the City of Miami Fire boat 1 .

IMG_4894-001_zpsclho672u.jpg

It was time to light this candle !

IMG_4899-001_zpsggzyyjwf.jpg

And the bubbles beneath our butts made it official - We were on the way !

Edited by scubacruiserx2

They do not offer the 1,2,3-promotions on Transatlantics, do they?

I was just wondering if they throw in the free Classic Beverage package.

I thought I had read before that 1,2,3 does not apply to Transatlantics.

At $49 per day, a beverage package would be quite expensive for 16 nights!

Saying goodbye to my hometown ( And hello to the rain clouds ) .

IMG_4890_zpsufoaiixw.jpg

It seem like we weren't the only thing on the move

IMG_4919_zpsu9fux17k.jpg

IMG_4903_zpsmwyg8epx.jpg

IMG_4914_zpsje1rzlwi.jpg

Was this guy doing donuts in the water , or was it time to eat again ?

IMG_4905_zps5nlfmcni.jpg

IMG_4923_zpsyzptz6lv.jpg

A video clip from the camcorder :

Enjoying your review. Our first Celebrity cruise is coming up soon -- the Baltic on the Eclipse. So thanks for bringing it across the pond for us!

I was interested in your comments on the elevator situation, especially in case of an emergency. I can see that could be problematic for those who are mobility impaired or have small children or others to look after.

A transatlantic cruise is on my bucket list but for now, I'll just live vicariously through yours.

JoAnn

Enjoying your review. Our first Celebrity cruise is coming up soon -- the Baltic on the Eclipse. So thanks for bringing it across the pond for us!

I was interested in your comments on the elevator situation, especially in case of an emergency. I can see that could be problematic for those who are mobility impaired or have small children or others to look after.

A transatlantic cruise is on my bucket list but for now, I'll just live vicariously through yours.

JoAnn

My first thought exactly ! As a career Firefighter/Paramedic I think safety first . I felt much better when we looked at the door evacuation instructions later , which showed an alternate route , and I also looked behind behind some opened crew doors . There are other stairs and elevators hidden from sight that will be deployed in the unlikely event of an emergency . But we did have many mobility impaired passengers on this trip .

woo hooo!!! Joining in to read all about it!

We're going on NCL this summer to Alaska, but I did look at Celebrity as one of my options. I am just not familiar enough with Celebrity so I went with NCL in the end after looking at all the pros and cons that would work for my family. (We debated Princess too).

Hi Jen , and welcome ! That sounds great . Alaska is on our to do list for sure . As we were leaving Miami we saw this sign and thought of you and Nancy . Enjoy ! :) :D

IMG_4927_zpszgtx0swz.jpg

They do not offer the 1,2,3-promotions on Transatlantics, do they?

I was just wondering if they throw in the free Classic Beverage package.

I thought I had read before that 1,2,3 does not apply to Transatlantics.

At $49 per day, a beverage package would be quite expensive for 16 nights!

Generally not included and as for value/cost, it really depends on how much and what you drink.:D

JoAnn

Just to note, in emergencies, the elevators are not supposed to be used. A scary thought if you have mobility issues and cannot use stairs.:eek:

Just to note, in emergencies, the elevators are not supposed to be used. A scary thought if you have mobility issues and cannot use stairs.:eek:

A great point Mic . Firefighters carry an override key for the elevators which will be used during a fire to move equipment for firefighting . It's a point for everybody to consider and another reason that we routinely use the stairs .

In this boring photograph , you can see Terminal Island . The low white bridge leads to Star Island . Home to Rosie O' Donnell , Lenny Kravitz , Gloria Estefan and Shaquille O Neal's former home .

IMG_4933_zpsug5kudry.jpg

You can also board the flat , blue striped boat to Fisher Island .

IMG_4944_zps635uqnhw.jpg

Fisher Island homeowners ( mostly condos ) include Mel Brooks , Boris Becker , Andre Agassi , Julia Roberts and Oprah Winfrey . The Island used to be owned by the Vanderbilts and their mansion is still there . This was home to the last fire station that I worked at before I retired .

Ocean facing condos on Fisher Island .

IMG_4951_zpszyqub7yx.jpg

Exiting Government Cut into the Atlantic Ocean . Facing North and looking at South Beach .

IMG_4957_zpsfb1mr37y.jpg

We had hoped for a beautiful sunset over the city , but we had an unusual rain for a couple of days just before we left . But the seas were calm as we headed North to Bermuda !

IMG_4967_zpsua6zstgp.jpg

Fisher Island on the left and South Beach on the right . Here's a Google star map of Miami :

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?gl=us&ll=25.772238,-80.2537&t=h&source=embed&ie=UTF8&*****=1&msa=0&spn=0.213377,0.247086&hl=en&mid=zjKawu9-U2GQ.kCNs6NcUB0RM

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Hi Jen , and welcome ! That sounds great . Alaska is on our to do list for sure . As we were leaving Miami we saw this sign and thought of you and Nancy . Enjoy ! :) :D

IMG_4927_zpszgtx0swz.jpg

I likey!!! ;)

Looks like a great start...except for the elevators. I do try to use the stairs as much as I can too. I have a rule that when going down we use the stairs....going up if it's more than 2-3 floors we can use the elevator....but it does me better if I take the stairs. :rolleyes: Claire doesn't always like my rule, but she'll live.

Your "boring" pictures are gorgeous!

I'm loving your review..thanks so much for sharing it along with great pictures. Like you the Eclipse will be my first trip on an S class ship and I can't wait to experience it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums