low sodium

Pete Wells

HAL does have low-sodium menus. Since HAL uses a lot of pre-made items, I'm not sure how "low" sodium these items would actually be. Unless you are willing to eat a lot of fruit and plain vegetables, you will be subject to a lot of salt.

I would call Ship Services and pose some questions about the low-sodium option and if they have any info to share with you pre-cruise.

Let the Maitre d' or Dining Room Manager know as soon as you get on the ship. They can get something together in time for the first night's dinner. After that, you will get the menu at your table in the Dining Room every night for the next night. You simply indicate your selections and it will be prepared for you low sodium or low fat or other dietary needs for the next night. Works a bit smoother for "fixed" seating but it does also work for "open" seating.

I'm just off the Maasdam where I requested low sodium meals. Each night in the MDR, I received the following evening's menu and chose my selections. These were prepared separately from the salted items. In fact, my mother and I often ordered the same thing. As a lark, we each tasted the other's item and, sure enough, mine had little to no salt whereas hers was obviously salted.

I was very happy with my selections.

Just make the arrangements through HAL or your TA, indicating that you would like a low sodium diet. Know that this really only occurs in the MDR at dinner time. The rest of the time, you will likely be subject to salted food. I didn't find it inedible although I did notice it from time to time.

Thanks. We will do that. We do eat fruits and vegetables and normally steer clear of obvious salt heavy dishes, but we were wondering if we could get listings of sodium content ahead of time.

No, I don't believe that the ship can provide the nutritional information for any food item.

I'm just off the Maasdam where I requested low sodium meals. Each night in the MDR, I received the following evening's menu and chose my selections. These were prepared separately from the salted items. In fact, my mother and I often ordered the same thing. As a lark, we each tasted the other's item and, sure enough, mine had little to no salt whereas hers was obviously salted.

I was very happy with my selections.

Just make the arrangements through HAL or your TA, indicating that you would like a low sodium diet. Know that this really only occurs in the MDR at dinner time. The rest of the time, you will likely be subject to salted food. I didn't find it inedible although I did notice it from time to time.

We also have contacted Ship Services & let them know & as the above poster stated, a low sodium menu was provided. I recall we even received one at breakfast on the Oosterdam to Alaska, but that was a few years ago.

Prior to my cruise in March I asked the same thing (for nutrition profiles) of meals thinking they MIGHT be available, as HAL prepares so many meals and that is becoming more available from the larger chain restaurants). I am on low sodium and choosey about carbs and protein and fat to manage wonkey blood sugar. I got an email back a few days after asking, saying they had checked with the culinary powers that be and profiles were not available. They did mark my profile and had me complete a menu order for the next night. The one night they didn't bring me the menu, I found one on my door with a request to return my selection to the desk at the MDR by 9:00a. I had open seating. They were fine with me "exchanging" items for others on the menu (ie: potatoe or rice for cauliflower or quinoa offered with a different main ).

The food was great - not salty- as when I have had dinner in the lido. Yes, for breakfast and lunch I had to guess (but that isn't that hard as I have been restricting sodium for the past 20 years. The carb control was a newer issue having received the matter as a New Years "gift"). (And on a personal note On exception of boarding day lunch my blood glucose was stellar. )

I suspect you are used to making some blind guesses on things and will do fine for the non MDR meals. Pinnacle will see it in your profile and may ask about allergies or food issues before you order. I have good reason to suspect the cherries jubilee I had there were no added sugar. :)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
Bad, bad iPhone!

1st thing I want to mention, do not order any of the soups as so very salty, even if you order low salt the evening before!

Secondly, you can get nutritional info from the chef's but they have to dig it out of the recipes they are provided and most are not complete. The menu can have a last minute change based on availability of food, so may not be a great idea. We have gotten recipes from them in the past and know it the info is spotty at best as they work in gallons (liters) or 'feeds 50' recipes. Best to ask HAL customer service about getting this ahead of your cruise. If the issue is limited to low sodium, it is easier to just pre-order, which you can do for lunch and dinner in the MDR.

I'm not surprised they couldn't give nutritional data. The chains that can supply that info get all of their food from the company. So much of it is pre-made in a central location that it's relatively easy for the company to know what's in a serving. On a cruise ship, there is less central control, so they're less sure. Plus, if nobody is making them (by law) provide such data, they won't bother to compile it.

FWIW, I find HAL's food to be pretty reasonable for sodium. If you're on a low-sodium diet, obviously that isn't good enough. But for me, I find that it isn't as salty as a lot of restaurant food. I can tell when I'm getting too much salt because my rings get tight. That doesn't happen to me on a HAL cruise.

1st thing I want to mention, do not order any of the soups as so very salty, even if you order low salt the evening before!

I had no issues with low sodium soups on my recent Maasdam cruise. And I do know they were low sodium because I tried my mother's soup that was not low sodium. And, believe me, it was obviously salty; it made me gasp in shock as to how salty it was! (She felt my soup had no taste!) I also tasted one of her entrees and it was so salty to me, I thought it inedible. She and others felt it was seasoned correctly.

A little off topic but I am amazed at how many labels I read that are down right wrong. One doesn't need a calculator to know that one serving of an item that contains 3 fat, 8 carbs and 2 protein doesn't contain 50 calories.

I mentioned it to a friend who is an RD for a large program and she said she found that also and has had to ask for labels to be corrected.

I have found the soups to be the most salty. I didn't know they had low salt soups, good to hear and I will try them next time. Their regular soups make my ankles swell; when I stopped eating soup every day at lunch my ankles were normal.

I order sauces and dressings on the side. m--

I have found the soups to be the most salty. I didn't know they had low salt soups, good to hear and I will try them next time. Their regular soups make my ankles swell; when I stopped eating soup every day at lunch my ankles were normal.

They will serve low salt soups IF one pre-orders them the day before. Basically, it's a special order each evening for the low sodium meals. I'm not sure one can just ask for a low sodium soup when ordering for that same meal. They might be able to accommodate you but I wouldn't count on it. Best to make the arrangements through HAL or the TA if you'd like low sodium meals.

I agree!

The only soups usually that aren't loaded with salt are the cold fruit soups. I find them spectacular so I just skip the hot soups now; unfortunately, since the hot soups used to be so good.

They will serve low salt soups IF one pre-orders them the day before. Basically, it's a special order each evening for the low sodium meals. I'm not sure one can just ask for a low sodium soup when ordering for that same meal. They might be able to accommodate you but I wouldn't count on it. Best to make the arrangements through HAL or the TA if you'd like low sodium meals.

IMO - they may tell you it is a low sodium soup but to a truly low sodium person, they are still too salty - so my hands and feet swell. Good to know the cold soups are not an issue.

IMO - they may tell you it is a low sodium soup but to a truly low sodium person, they are still too salty - so my hands and feet swell. Good to know the cold soups are not an issue.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but as I said in another post, my mother and I ordered the same soup. Mine was low sodium; hers was not. We each tried the other's soup. There was an enormous difference in the salt content of the two. And I consider myself a "truly low sodium person". I had no issues with swelling and no bags under my eyes like I have had on previous cruises. YMMV