Last minute cancellation for DH--what happens?

calteacher

We are scheduled to leave home June 9 for a flight to Amsterdam, spending a few days there prior to boarding the Rotterdam on June 13 for a two-week cruise. My DH's 85 year-old brother was just hospitalized with pneumonia and a newly discovered non-malignant heart tumor. Still to be decided is does he even qualify for heart surgery and will he choose to have the surgery to deal with the tumor.

So, it is very possible that we will need to cancel the cruise on June 8. We have insurance, but the problem is that a widowed friend is traveling with us. I don't think the insurance will reimburse her, but I know she will not travel alone. My DH and my DD think I should not cancel (unless death occurs) but that I should go with my friend.

Obviously we have paid in full. If I make a claim for him not going, can I just pay for the extra supplement for me as a single passenger, or do I just not make a claim and pay double for the cruise? or what???

Since today is a holiday, my TA is not in. I have sent an urgent e-mail for her to call me ASAP to get further info. But, since I've learned so much from CC, I thought someone might be able to give me some info today as I'm stressing!

Thanks.

If your friend has insurance, many policies will cover if the insured's travel companions cancel for a covered reason.

Before you make a decision whether to cancel or go, you likely will want information from your insurer as well as your friend's.... if she has insurance.

Very sorry to hear about this and hope your B-I-L makes a good recovery.

Edited by sail7seas

We are scheduled to leave home June 9 for a flight to Amsterdam, spending a few days there prior to boarding the Rotterdam on June 13 for a two-week cruise. My DH's 85 year-old brother was just hospitalized with pneumonia and a newly discovered non-malignant heart tumor. Still to be decided is does he even qualify for heart surgery and will he choose to have the surgery to deal with the tumor.

So, it is very possible that we will need to cancel the cruise on June 8. We have insurance, but the problem is that a widowed friend is traveling with us. I don't think the insurance will reimburse her, but I know she will not travel alone. My DH and my DD think I should not cancel (unless death occurs) but that I should go with my friend.

Obviously we have paid in full. If I make a claim for him not going, can I just pay for the extra supplement for me as a single passenger, or do I just not make a claim and pay double for the cruise? or what???

Since today is a holiday, my TA is not in. I have sent an urgent e-mail for her to call me ASAP to get further info. But, since I've learned so much from CC, I thought someone might be able to give me some info today as I'm stressing!

Thanks.

The only thing that they will refund is the Ports fees and Taxes . The rest you'll have to claim thru your insurance policy. Depends on what the policy covers for reasons.

Thanks for the quick responses and good wishes. I'm also interested in what happens if I choose to go ahead and cruise (what my DH and DDs think I should do.) Does the price change?

Check your policy but your insurance should reimburse for your husband's cancelled trip and also pay the single supplement for you.

It most likely depends on what type of insurance you all have. Ours is a "for any reason" policy. If you all have that, then maybe you could all rebook for a later more convenient time. BTW Best wishes for your BIL's recovery. If you decide to go ahead & cruise, perhaps you & your traveling companion could share a cabin- just a thought. You could cancel yours & DH's, get refund from insurance, then rebook as her cabin mate.

Yes, she has her own cabin and her own insurance policy--not connected with ours.

To go or not is a very individual decision only you can make, but I would give some weight to your DD and DDs urging you go since they know you and the full details of the circumstances.

The current declarations page from the travel insurance company I've used says they cover cancellation due to a traveling companion who is themselves sick/injured/fired/etc. So maybe not if the sick person is a family member of the traveling companion?

Good luck and peace to you and your family and your friend no matter what happens.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

Almost all travel insurance will cover if you need to cancel due to a travel companion not being able to cruise but you will have to supply proof of a medical issue from an immediate family member for her if you both cancel unless the insurance is a cancel for any reason. If you decide to go and the insurance is not with Hal I personally would not go through the hassle of filing the claim unless your insurance is covering more than the cruise such as air and other accommodations. Hal can cancel your husband but he is in 100% penalty then yours converts to single supplement but Hal will most likely require you pay the difference then will send you proof husband canceled and you had to pay more. You then have to file a claim to get the half of what you paid originally and the single supplement difference. You will need medical records and letter from Dr of BIL. I personally would call Hal and ask what would happen if you just checked in with out him. I have seen a couple of scenarios happen but usually nothing more is charged except you get husbands ports fees credited. Not saying credit insurance is not good but saying with half of a married couple files a canceled claim it really is not worth the hassle to file a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just call your insurance carrier...that's who will ultimately determine what is covered or not. Make sure to get whatever they say confirmed in an email. Sorry about your relative's situation...have had similar problems, so i understand the "iffiness" to your decision.

Talked to my TA who checked with insurance. The insurance will not cover my friend. At this point we are still waiting to see what the doctors say. At any rate we don't plan to cancel until the last possible time. My SIL is trying to convince my DH to go on the cruise. She lives 400 miles away but has offered to come and stay in our home if necessary. I will come back later to let you know our decision.

Thanks for your help.

Yes, but not "for any reason" and not with HAL. Our main reason was to protect ourselves in case we needed to be "brought" home while in Europe. Apparently there are many reasons we can claim insurance, but because of a travel companion cancelling for a "family" reason it doesn't cover. It would cover if one of the travel companions were unable to travel due to personal illness, etc.

Yes, but not "for any reason" and not with HAL. Our main reason was to protect ourselves in case we needed to be "brought" home while in Europe. Apparently there are many reasons we can claim insurance, but because of a travel companion cancelling for a "family" reason it doesn't cover. It would cover if one of the travel companions were unable to travel due to personal illness, etc.

Thanks for explaining. The policy language sometimes is less than 'crystal clear' as to under what conditions they will cover.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Best wishes to you & your family. Hope everything works out for you. We bought our insurance through an outside insurance company, I had our TA make sure it was "cancel for any reason." But not all policies are like that- sorry yours isn't. Good luck & again, best wishes to your BIL.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming back to give an update. My DH's brother passed away Friday. The funeral is Wednesday. Since our tickets were to travel early Tuesday morning, we needed to change our tickets. In checking with insurance, our agent put the wrong return dates on the insurance policy.

So, when I checked with the insurance company, I was told that I could either change the policy to include our entire trip, or I could claim the difference in ticket prices. The money really isn't the problem now, but I will need to pay an additional $250 to have the days after the cruise ends covered by the policy.

Interestingly, my friend who is traveling with us checked her policy and the TA (same one) did put the correct dates on her policy. So, a call to the TA Monday, and if no answer (she didn't return calls on Friday--had to call her supervisor), I may be getting a new TA.

Anyway, thought someone might like to know the solution. We have shortened our time in Amsterdam prior to boarding the Rotterdam on Saturday, but at least we will be able to go on the cruise.

Coming back to give an update. My DH's brother passed away Friday. The funeral is Wednesday. Since our tickets were to travel early Tuesday morning, we needed to change our tickets. In checking with insurance, our agent put the wrong return dates on the insurance policy.

So, when I checked with the insurance company, I was told that I could either change the policy to include our entire trip, or I could claim the difference in ticket prices. The money really isn't the problem now, but I will need to pay an additional $250 to have the days after the cruise ends covered by the policy.

Interestingly, my friend who is traveling with us checked her policy and the TA (same one) did put the correct dates on her policy. So, a call to the TA Monday, and if no answer (she didn't return calls on Friday--had to call her supervisor), I may be getting a new TA.

Anyway, thought someone might like to know the solution. We have shortened our time in Amsterdam prior to boarding the Rotterdam on Saturday, but at least we will be able to go on the cruise.

Well, that's good news that you can go on your cruise.

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

Not good though that the wrong dates were put on your insurance. grrrrr.

Well, that's good news that you can go on your cruise.

Thanks for coming back to let us know.

Not good though that the wrong dates were put on your insurance. grrrrr.

It is interesting how in these days of computerization, common mistakes are still frequently made in travel reservations (etc.). I do think it is better now than it used to be, but things still do get mixed up, so I am VERY conscious about checking and double checking dates and times. I am sure that in this case, the OP likely did not see the paperwork, so it was not their fault for not double checking.

Some of my friends think I am a bit crazy on this issue, but over many years of travel I have had some bad experiences with things going wrong (and it can be a mess).

Edited by DaveOKC

Interestingly, my friend who is traveling with us checked her policy and the

TA (same one) did put the correct dates on her policy. So, a call to the TA Monday, and if no answer (she didn't return calls on Friday--had to call her supervisor), I may be getting a new TA.

Bolding is mine. For me there would be no "may". I would definately be getting a new TA. Have a wonderful relaxing cruise.