Veendam Captain & Cruise Director

PCruzer

Does anyone know who the Captain and Cruise Director will be on the Veendam Voyage of the Vikings departing 7/25/2015?

Capt is scheduled to be Eric van der Wal

CD is scheduled to be Christina Purcell

Enjoy the VoV, one of the really nice itineraries

So here is a question (sincere) sometimes raised on various CC threads. To quote Hillary, What difference does it make who the Captain and CD happen to be? After all, one is just talking about the hired help :). When we go to a hotel, AI, or resort we really have little interest in the hotel manager or activity director. On a ship it is no different. There was a time that CDs were an important part of a cruise, but now they are relegated to being that "annoying voice" promoting clothing sales, BINGO, and other activities that generate onboard revenue.

Hank

So here is a question (sincere) sometimes raised on various CC threads. To quote Hillary, What difference does it make who the Captain and CD happen to be? After all, one is just talking about the hired help :). When we go to a hotel, AI, or resort we really have little interest in the hotel manager or activity director. On a ship it is no different. There was a time that CDs were an important part of a cruise, but now they are relegated to being that "annoying voice" promoting clothing sales, BINGO, and other activities that generate onboard revenue.

Hank

The Captain sets the tone for the crew. Good captain = happy crew.

The CD does do a number of events and has other general responsibilities that can affect passengers.

==========

And while we are at it. Who is the current Veendam captain?

Edited by shrimp56

The current captain is Chris Norman. I'm another person that doesn't really take notice or particularly care who the staff is. That said I found Christina to not want to mix with the passangers although she puts out the effort at shows. I was at a party where she and the show host talked to each other then left. I heard others making the same comments. The crew did seem happy on the ship.

Edited by cruz chic

Hank

Last year we went on a cruise (another line) where it was the fourth cruise on that ship. It did not meet the standards of all the other times. Two of the previous times we had a cruise director second to none. He personally performed in the specialty restaurants, gave the port talks/lectures, held holiday services he directed...I could go on and on. Without him and with a new hotel director, the ship seemed very ordinary.

I agree with those who say that the crew is a happy crew when there is good leadership. This applies to both the captain and hotel director positions. I am not sure how the staff captain fits in here but that position might also affect the crew. There is one hotel director who was so good that I would book a cruise just to be on his ship. He made a cruise on an older ship with Noro most of the time one of our best ever.

Thanks for the info on the VOV leadership.

...........................I am not sure how the staff captain fits in here but that position might also affect the crew. ........................................Thanks for the info on the VOV leadership.

The Staff Captain heads the Nautical or Deck Dept. which, besides the ship's navigating officers, the Bosun (supervisor of the sailors) + Asst. Bosun, Quartermasters (the ship/tender drivers + Bridge watch keepers), Life Saving Attendants (commonly known as Boatmen), sailors AB & OS, the deck storekeeper, deck machinist, the locksmith and the Fire Safety Attendants, also includes Medical and Security. Not quite as big as the Hotel Dept, but without Nautical/Deck the ship doesn't go anywhere. Security, also responsible for ship's discipline, reports to the staff captain ;)

The Captain sets the tone for the crew. Good captain = happy crew.

The CD does do a number of events and has other general responsibilities that can affect passengers.

==========

And while we are at it. Who is the current Veendam captain?

Have a great trip on VEDM, Shrimpie! :)

The Staff Captain heads the Nautical or Deck Dept. which, besides the ship's navigating officers, the Bosun (supervisor of the sailors) + Asst. Bosun, Quartermasters (the ship/tender drivers + Bridge watch keepers), Life Saving Attendants (commonly known as Boatmen), sailors AB & OS, the deck storekeeper, deck machinist, the locksmith and the Fire Safety Attendants, also includes Medical and Security. Not quite as big as the Hotel Dept, but without Nautical/Deck the ship doesn't go anywhere. Security, also responsible for ship's discipline, reports to the staff captain ;)

Good info. Security is, of course, a very important, nice bunch!

Edited by SilvertoGold

I don't usually pay much attention to the captain or remember his name, but my 2013 Voyage of the Vikings had such a wonderful captain, Peter Bos, that I'd sail almost anywhere to have him as captain. He tried so hard to get us into difficult ports in Greenland and reported what was happening at regular intervals, informing the passengers of what he and Seattle were trying to do and then apologized when things didn't work out. He was so personable and approachable that I rate him right up there with my other all-time favorite, Captain Eric on the old Orient Cruise Lines when they owned the Marco Polo.

4* HAL.....Princess, Elite.....42 ships....7 continents....800+days at sea

I don't usually pay much attention to the captain or remember his name, but my 2013 Voyage of the Vikings had such a wonderful captain, Peter Bos, that I'd sail almost anywhere to have him as captain. He tried so hard to get us into difficult ports in Greenland and reported what was happening at regular intervals, informing the passengers of what he and Seattle were trying to do and then apologized when things didn't work out. He was so personable and approachable that I rate him right up there with my other all-time favorite, Captain Eric on the old Orient Cruise Lines when they owned the Marco Polo.

We embarked Veendam the day you disembarked from VOV. Captain Bos was just as wonderful for our short little Canada/NE cruise as your exciting adventure. A truly wonderful Captain.

Capt. Bos is a true favorite among his crew; He just rejoined OSDM but is scheduled to rotate to NODM in the fall

Capt. Bos is a true favorite among his crew; He just rejoined OSDM but is scheduled to rotate to NODM in the fall

Copper, Is Captain Arjen Van der Loo going back to OSDM?

Copper, Is Captain Arjen Van der Loo going back to OSDM?

Capt. van der Loo is currently filling the role of Fleet Captain. He visits all ships from time to time however he is not, at the moment, assigned to a single ship

Copper, Thanks for the staff info on the 2015 VoV. Do you know where my 2 favorite Cd's are: JT Watters and Linda Minnikin?? Are they still with HAL?

Edited by PCruzer

Copper, Thanks for the staff info on the 2015 VoV. Do you know where my 2 favorite Cd's are: JT Watters and Linda Minnikin?? Are they still with HAL?

J.T. Watters just left EUDM and Linda Minnikin is currently on ZADM

Put me in the Peter Bos fan club too. Have only taken 5 cruises and 3 were on his ship. He was our captain for Antarctica. His enthusiasm for showing his pax the area during scenic cruising was fabulous- he is the ultimate sightseeing host. Our cruise was his second time to Antarctica (first was the previous cruise) and you could tell he and the crew were having a grand time. Many of the crew and officers, and off duty crew were on deck with us gawking and taking pictures. Captain Bos told us he had ordered lots of books from eBay and Amazon and set up a reference library in the crows nest and had charts hung up which cadets replotted our DR track on. During scenic cruising (most of the day) he pointed out wildlife along with the Naturalist who was on the bridge. I was able to record some of the commentary and used it as a voice over on some of my video.

Capt. van der Loo is currently filling the role of Fleet Captain. He visits all ships from time to time however he is not, at the moment, assigned to a single ship

Copper, how does the role of Fleet Captain compare with what Captain Albert is doing?

Copper, how does the role of Fleet Captain compare with what Captain Albert is doing?

Capt Albert Schoonderbeek is a Travelling Master and conducts training in a variety of (nautical) topics on the ships. The Fleet Captain has more of an investigative role

I find the personality of the ship's crew is often shaped (to at least some degree) by the Captain, Hotel Director, and Cruise Director. Some are more outgoing and fun, while others are more stoic. Some seem to work harder, and expect those around them to also work harder. Hard to prove, but it seems to happen.

By the way, where is Capt. Arno Jutten these days? I had the pleasure to meet and talk with him on the Amsterdam when he was Chief Officer back in December of 2005.

Also, any idea about who the Captain, Hotel Director, and Cruise Director might be on the Maasdam for the December 19 - 28, 2015 holiday cruise?

By the way, where is Capt. Arno Jutten these days? I had the pleasure to meet and talk with him on the Amsterdam when he was Chief Officer back in December of 2005.

Also, any idea about who the Captain, Hotel Director, and Cruise Director might be on the Maasdam for the December 19 - 28, 2015 holiday cruise?

Capt. Arno Jutten is one of two captains assigned to MADM; As of right now; he's scheduled to be MADM's captain for this year's holiday cruise. HD and CD for that voyage is still too far out at this time