Tipping on drinks with Premium plan

I have the premium drink plan purchased. I think that's the name. It's the one where almost all drinks are included. If I have this, do I need to think about tipping too or is that all included in the drink package?

I have the premium drink plan purchased. I think that's the name. It's the one where almost all drinks are included. If I have this, do I need to think about tipping too or is that all included in the drink package?

When you purchase the plan, they will add 18% to the price. That is all that you "must" tip. If you WISH to tip when you order a drink, you may, but you have already paid your tips.

Your choice.

Tips are paid at the time you purchase the package.

OK. So I paid my drink package up front ($400 or so?) and i already paid my tips up front since I did MTD. So with regards to future tipping, this is optional for drinks from what I am gathering. Correct? Thanks.

OK. So I paid my drink package up front ($400 or so?) and i already paid my tips up front since I did MTD. So with regards to future tipping, this is optional for drinks from what I am gathering. Correct? Thanks.

Correct

The $404 you paid included 18% gratuity. This is separate from the gratuity you pre-paid because of MTD.

So you can order (for instance) a $12 drink and the slip will come out showing $14+ because an 18% gratuity was already paid when you purchased the drink package. You can tip above and beyond the 18% you've already paid if you choose by writing in an additional tip on the receipt. For me, I can't ever think of a time on land when I've tipped a bartender more than 18%, so I doubt I will do that on my next the cruise.

The $404 you paid included 18% gratuity. This is separate from the gratuity you pre-paid because of MTD.

So you can order (for instance) a $12 drink and the slip will come out showing $14+ because an 18% gratuity was already paid when you purchased the drink package. You can tip above and beyond the 18% you've already paid if you choose by writing in an additional tip on the receipt. For me, I can't ever think of a time on land when I've tipped a bartender more than 18%, so I doubt I will do that on my next the cruise.

The way I look at it is that while I have already paid tips, if I am going to the same bar over and over again I will tip a little extra. I used to be a bartender and I can tell you it is amazing what a couple bucks for a tip would get you.

I can also think of plenty of times I tipped over 18% on drinks. I usually leave a $1 per drink plus whatever the change is whenever I order a drink, including beers so right there it is probably about a 25-30% tip. I'm not gonna give $0.81 on a $4.50 beer. If I am going to an event with an open bar I also throw the bartenders a $20 at the beginning of the night and then posibbly a little more if I go up a lot (not just for me). Yes their tips are already "paid" for, but that $20 makes it so that I never have to wait in line for a drink and they make good drinks. Same thing can go for the cruise. If you plan to be a regular for the week at a particular bar it could be beneficial for you to throw a $5-$10 tip out right away.

I drink mostly Diet Coke and buy the "Coke Card" but I always leave an extra $1 Presidential Coin.

Some cruisers poo-poo this idea but the coins work in the crew area vending machines and are note worthy. After they have gotten a second or third coin they remember me, keep and eye out for me, and have my Diet Coke ready when I arrive at the bar.

On 7 night cruises I usually give our 50 to 60 coins. The extra money doesn't hurt me but it does mean something to the crew and staff.

It is my way of saying "Thanks for taking good care of me!"

DSCN8452.jpg

I remember this annoyed me at the time, but I noticed that with my drink

package the receipt I signed did not include the cost of my drink.

It would list the name of the drink but the price was shown as $0.

I wanted to keep all my receipts and calculate how much I'd spent. Now I can still keep the receipts and get a reasonable estimate but it's a bit harder than if the receipt showed the actual cost for me.

Edited by ewenix

I wanted to keep all my receipts and calculate how much I'd spent. Now I can still keep the receipts and get a reasonable estimate but it's a bit harder than if the receipt showed the actual cost for me.

I misspoke. The receipt you'll get does show zero when you're purchasing thru the package. It's when you purchase a drink without the package that the 18% tip is already calculated in and you can tip extra if you want.

I misspoke. The receipt you'll get does show zero when you're purchasing thru the package. It's when you purchase a drink without the package that the 18% tip is already calculated in and you can tip extra if you want.

Depending on the ship and/or bartender, you may not get a slip.

Yes, already included. What I found on my May sailing, was that the bartenders didn't give me the receipt with $0, to save me from signing or having the paper. I actually had to ask, "How can I tip you without the receipt?" I don't bring cash or coins around while on board.

So you are fine tipping extra or not, we received excellent service regardless. I do have to add that with a good tip, my wine preference previously "unavailable", was quickly stocked and bought to me... however, the servers were so great that the tip may have had nothing to do with it. What an incredible cruise and staff it was:D

Wow, this is a really fun idea. I carry around a bunch of $1 bills in my pocket, but this is way more interesting. We don't do a drink package, but we get "free" drink coupons from our loyalty status. I usually tip a couple of dollars per drink. I figure they can't charge the 18% on the vouchers and they are still making a drink and the net-net is still a great deal for me.

You are right. The service, while not bad initially, really increases with even a small tip. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the bartender or server gets much of the 18% tip. They seem really happy with just a little cash.

We don't spend much time by the pool so I can't agree or disagree with people who say the service there is not good, but we've never waited more than a few minutes in any inside bar especially after being there a couple times.

Tom

I drink mostly Diet Coke and buy the "Coke Card" but I always leave an extra $1 Presidential Coin.

Some cruisers poo-poo this idea but the coins work in the crew area vending machines and are note worthy. After they have gotten a second or third coin they remember me, keep and eye out for me, and have my Diet Coke ready when I arrive at the bar.

On 7 night cruises I usually give our 50 to 60 coins. The extra money doesn't hurt me but it does mean something to the crew and staff.

It is my way of saying "Thanks for taking good care of me!"

DSCN8452.jpg

I gave two of these dollar coins to an employee at Labadee for taking our picture - which they try to do to get tips. He looked at them like they were worthless. I had to assure him that they were real dollars. I like them for tipping on Labadee because they don't get soggy.