Zeebrugge

Hi all - just back from a cruise on Explorer which called at Zeebrugge, discovered a couple of things that RCI conveniently didn't tell us, so thought we'd share for other people's benefit.

There are essentially 3 ways to get from Zeebrugge to Bruges - the official "Bruges on your own" excursion (around $60 per person), a taxi (which I've heard is approx 50 euro for a round trip) or the shuttle bus then train (bus - 12 euro pp, train 4 euro pp).

We opted for the shuttle bus and train, since it was the most cost-effective option. The shuttle bus left the port frequently and we were assured that it was a short train ride from where we were dropped off. That part was true - it was only a 15 minute journey - but what they failed to mention was that there was only 1 train per hour! Our journey was therefore a lot longer than expected due to the time we were waiting at the station (disclaimer: it was a Sunday - they may be more frequent during the rest of the week). Despite having bought return tickets, we considered getting a taxi back to the ship, but we actually saw very few in Bruges. So our advice for transport is either go by taxi but make sure you book, or if you're going by shuttle bus/train, check the times before you go.

The other thing we discovered is that the town where the shuttle drops you (Blankenberge) is very nice indeed - we actually preferred it to Bruges! It's a small town, but it has both independent and mainstream shops, plenty of chocolatiers, etc - and to our surprise, a gorgeous beach. This town was not mentioned by RCI at all (presumably because they wanted us to buy their excursions to other places), but we'd definitely pay it another visit if we stopped at Zeebrugge again in future.

If you are cruising on P&O, they operate a (so far) free shuttle to Blankenberge, which is indeed a lovely little seaside resort. :)

We have visited Bruges itself on many an occasion, so for us, Blankenberge was a refreshing change and far less hassle.

To OP--thank you very much for posting your experience! We are currently planning our stop there (also a Sunday), and have found it kind of confusing to figure out how to get into Brugges. All pre-book taxis that I emailed several months before the cruise were booked, so it looks like it's either the tram/train option, unless we can just find a cab waiting for passengers. A couple of questions--

--Did you see any non-pre-booked cabs waiting at the dock? I have seen some posters reference this, but others say there were few to none of these, so you're out of luck if you didn't pre-book.

--Just to clarify, to use public transportation, you take the shuttle bus (that is 12 euro?) from the dock to the train station in Blankenberge, then get a train to the Brugge Station, then how far is it into the Market Square of Brugge? Is that a reasonable walk into the main historic part of town? Or would that be another bus ride?

Thanks so much for your help!

The cost of the shuttle from the dock to Blankenberge might differ from cruise line to cruise line. It was free for us three years ago.

There is approximately a 15 minute walk from the train station in Bruges to the city centre. There is a pleasant park that you can walk through to get there.

Train information here:

http://www.belgianrail.be/en/Default.aspx

When we went: Leaves Blankenberge 11 minutes past the hour. Leaves Bruges 36 minutes past the hour

Thank you for the information, and the link--very helpful. Are the stations that I want just plain, "Blankenberge" and "Brugge" (there are a lot of related options). It does look like there's just 1 an hour on a Sunday.

Last year, knowing we would stop at Zeebrugge I comtacted the Harbour Master who confirmed that private / prebooked taxis are not allowed onto the harbour. They have to wait at the gates. Not sure if this has changed though. Also, you are not allowed to walk from the ship to the gates of the port but must use the free shuttle.

We have booked a taxi van for a party of 8 on our cruise in July, and we have been advised by the proprietor that the driver will be waiting just outside the gate as he will not be allowed to enter thru the port gates.

So does not seem to have changed from what roysmith99 experienced.

We will be in Bruges in Aug 2015 on a Sunday. We already have a taxi booked. What is a safe time for us to have a taxi return for us considering that we need to get the Celebrity shuttle once the taxi drops us off at the port gate.

What time do you sail?

Suggest 90 min prior in case of traffic problem on the way back

We have booked a taxi van for a party of 8 on our cruise in July, and we have been advised by the proprietor that the driver will be waiting just outside the gate as he will not be allowed to enter thru the port gates.

So does not seem to have changed from what roysmith99 experienced.

Hi Lara, what taxi company did you use, I am also trying to find a taxi for 8. Thanks Peck

We sail at 3 pm so I guess 1:15- 1:30 should be good.

I am also trying to find out if the Church of Our Lady housing the Madonna & Child is open early enough for us to see this . My husband really is interested in this. I have seen conflicting times for Sunday visiting from 12 noon-4:30 pm & also opening at 1:30 pm -4:30 pm.

Peck, I booked Rony's way back in December for our July cruise. One of our rollcallers tried booking about a month ago and was advised that they were all booked up. That was for a van of 8, so not sure if they have smaller capacity.

Thanks for your answer, I am also after a taxi for 8, we are in Zebrugge on the 23rd July, so hope its a different day. I have emailed Rony with my enquiry and await his reply.

We were just there in early May and did not prebook a taxi, we were going to do the train thing. There were six of us and at breakfast we decided timing would be more adventageous for the reason listed above. We walked off the ship and there was a taxi driver with a mini van there (50 steps from the gangway) and we asked how much to drop us in Bruges and he said 50E so we jumped in and on the way made arrangements for him to pick us up in the afternoon. I know we were lucky but, just saying, if you cannot prebook, look around. This guy was inside the gate. Also coming back, there were several taxis in town. This is definitely the way to go. I wish I would remember the company. Anyway, enjoy Bruges it was one of our favorite stops. If you are a beer drinker, make sure you hit the Bottle Shop.

Thanks Lara, have made a booking for 8 people with Ronys Taxis for 50 euro eachway, only a bit more expensive than the train and a lot more convient plus a better use of our short time there.:)