Turned away by customs and missed the cruise

wzhao6898

Hi there,

We are in a situation that we booked a Norwegian Alaska cruise from/back Seattle to avoid getting Canadian visa. But we still got turned away by customs since the ship would sail in Canadian border and stop at Victoria island. We understand that, and should have got the visa ahead of time.

Now, does anybody know if we can get our money, at least some of our money back? A voucher? and if I dispute the charge on my credit card, would it lead to anything.

Thanks for your help in advance, we just need to recoup some of the $2000 lost.

David

Unfortunately, having the proper documentation is on you. That is clearly stated in the cruise contract and that not having the proper documentation could result in being denied boarding with no refund.

Sorry you missed your cruise.

Hi there,

We are in a situation that we booked a Norwegian Alaska cruise from/back Seattle to avoid getting Canadian visa. But we still got turned away by customs since the ship would sail in Canadian border and stop at Victoria island. We understand that, and should have got the visa ahead of time.

Now, does anybody know if we can get our money, at least some of our money back? A voucher? and if I dispute the charge on my credit card, would it lead to anything.

David

Contact your travel agent or vacation planner, but you should be able to at least get back port charges and taxes. Probably not the rest, though. Good Luck!

Hi there,

David

I'm confused? Was this a round trip cruise out of Seattle? Why did you need a visa? What country are you from?

We've done this cruise a couple of times with nothing more than a drivers license and birth certificate.

I'm asking because we're sailing this Sunday and only have a passport..

I'm confused? Was this a round trip cruise out of Seattle? Why did you need a visa? What country are you from?

We've done this cruise a couple of times with nothing more than a drivers license and birth certificate.

United States citizens do not need a visa to visit Canada. Your USA passport is sufficient.

Hi there,

David

Not to sound Harsh but why would NCL give you money back when you yourself understand you should have gotten the visa? NCl and the Canadian government are 2 separate entities. You knew ahead and decided not to?

Should have bought insurance

I think this is where we realized how having a US passport can be such a huge privilege as we don't need a visa for a LOT of countries. Despite cruises do a round trip from whichever city in the US (be it Miami, Seattle, New Orleans, NYC etc), one will need a visa for all the countries the ship will stop at or be a citizen of a country that is exempted from having a visa for that particular country.

deleted wrong thread

Edited by Jancruz

This is very unfortunate. Even if you had insurance, I'm not sure you would be able to get any money back on this cruise because it truly is your fault that you did not get the required Visa. A closed loop cruise does not mean that you don't need a visa. When you visit a foreign country that requires a Visa from citizens of your country, then you would always need a visa regardless of being on a cruise ship or not and regardless of it being a closed loop cruise or not. Sorry this happened to you. Live and learn.

I'm confused too. Old postings by this person said they are from San Diego and there was chatter on a roll call about an Epic Mediterranean cruise in the past.

My Alaska cruise only required a passport and we sailed from Vancouver.

Not to be harsh on OP's question, they previously sailed Alaska on Princess so should be somewhat familiar with visa requirements for countries in the ports of calls, they also sailed the Epic in Europe, so don't know what else to say ;)

From the limited info given & other prior posts, it appeared they are not USA citizens & holding foreign passports, and their residency status required a valid visa even while in transit flying thru/connecting via a Canadian cities. CX airlines, for example, warned its flyers to check the requirements & to have valid visas for those flying via one of the key gateway cities - YVR - something we as USA passport holders don't have to worry about.

My best guess - OP or someone in his party is a Chinese national, ("zhao" is a common surname) they are required to have a valid visa and have been known to be turned back at the boarding gate out of JFK and/or HKG in the even of a WX or MX and other pax are easily re-routed, they would have to fly direct on the next available flight not connecting via YVR or YYR, etc. north of the border.

Edited by mking8288

Hi there,

David

Evidently you are not a US citizen so that is why you needed a Visa for Canada?

Sorry, but the only money you can get back from NCL is port fees.

Even insurance does not usually pay if no correct documentation.

Because of this, no use contesting it with credit card company since part of cruise contract is that it is passenger's responsibility to have correct documents.

From NCL.com

Visa Restrictions for Canada

Due to strict Canadian entry requirements, immigration officials have advised Norwegian Cruise Line that citizens from certain countries require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to visit or transit Canada. Passengers who are not U.S. or Canadian citizens should check the following web site for a listing of restricted nationalities to determine if a TRV is necessary: http://www.cic.gc.ca. Subsequently, passengers belonging to nationalities that require a visa will be denied boarding if they do not possess such a visa. Exceptions will be made for U.S. Alien Resident Card (ARC) and Canadian Residency Permit (CRP) holders.

If you're not a US citizen, but are one of another country that needs a Visa. It's totally on you to find out those requirements before a cruise that takes you to another country.

I don't think they're going to refund you, it's not much different that you being late and missing the cruise. It's your responsibility to have known you're not a US citizen and needed the proper documents to travel.

Edited by adjjb12

So if you are a citizen of the US, can you still do this cruise with just ID and birth certificate (since it's closed loop) or do you need to have the U.S. passport (for stopping in Canada)? :confused:

Not to be harsh on OP's question, they previously sailed Alaska on Princess so should be somewhat familiar with visa requirements for countries in the ports of calls, they also sailed the Epic in Europe, so don't know what else to say ;)

From the limited info given & other prior posts, it appeared they are not USA citizens & holding foreign passports, and their residency status required a valid visa even while in transit flying thru/connecting via a Canadian cities. CX airlines, for example, warned its flyers to check the requirements & to have valid visas for those flying via one of the key gateway cities - YVR - something we as USA passport holders don't have to worry about.

My best guess - OP or someone in his party is a Chinese national, ("zhao" is a common surname) they are required to have a valid visa and have been known to be turned back at the boarding gate out of JFK and/or HKG in the even of a WX or MX and other pax are easily re-routed, they would have to fly direct on the next available flight not connecting via YVR or YYR, etc. north of the border.

Right. I think OP knew Canada required a visa but thought by booking a cruise from Seattle he could avoid getting one. The first line sort of implies that. It's too bad, but a good lesson.

Sorry you missed the cruise. If you had insurance check the terms. Even my credit card offers some travel protection. Otherwise see what NCL will do for you. At this point you have nothing, anything you get back is a plus.

My mom was able to cruise to Bahamas with her Central American passport and US Permanent Resident Card .

We have been told that she can do the same for the Alaska cruise .

I'd double check on that if there's a stop in Canada. There are some Central American countries on the list of those that require visas for visiting Canada.

Hi there,

David

Yea...............that isn't going to happen. Your out of luck.

So if you are a citizen of the US, can you still do this cruise with just ID and birth certificate (since it's closed loop) or do you need to have the U.S. passport (for stopping in Canada)? :confused:

You need a passport because you are going to Canada..

Jancruz1

I'd double check on that if there's a stop in Canada. There are some Central American countries on the list of those that require visas for visiting Canada.

ImageUploadedByForums1432755774.214956.jpg.2e97b927d164fc0de218d4be0bcf2e52.jpg

This is what I found on the CIC website , she will be showing her passport as proof of ID and her Resident Card in place of the visa. Am I misunderstanding that she does not need that Visa since she holds a Green Card ?