Cruising with ONLY Carry On Luggage

Fogfog

Just so everyone knows, I don't care what someone feels they need to bring, but I do take a bit of offence when somebody finds out I like Travel on only and get told things like, (and it happens a lot), "you must look terrible", "Don't want to sit downwind from you", "hope you eat all you meals at the buffet", "Why do you go on cruises then"

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been subjected to such rude comments. I must be missing something here. Because you travel with only carryons why would someone make these assumptions? I generally change clothes 2X a day: casual in the day and we dress for dinner. Three times if we swim or work out. We pack cocktail dresses, formal shoes, dinner jacket, etc. Seriously, it's not that hard.

To each his own as far as how you measure a "good time". Apparently for some it's all about changing into incredible amounts of clothing, numerous times a day, and being burdened with the management of many large pieces of luggage.

Which is fine.

I'm glad the OP found a new, better way of traveling :) (for her of course)

Wow.... :eek:

Not once in all my travels has either myself nor my wife appeared anywhere less than appropriately dressed.

I did not intend to imply that you appeared less than appropriately dressed - as in shabbily dressed - my comment was meant to mean that with so few options for clothing - I'd rather stay home. So I apologize if that came across wrong.

I could not nor would I ever wish to be limited to what I see in those pictures, just not enough for me. I love dressing to the nines each night - as part of the cruise experience - I find it romantic. Wearing the same clothes over and over - well I'd rather just go camping then - but no tent - maybe a motor home. ;)

Just so everyone knows, I don't care what someone feels they need to bring, but I do take a bit of offence when somebody finds out I like Travel on only and get told things like, (and it happens a lot), "you must look terrible", "Don't want to sit downwind from you", "hope you eat all you meals at the buffet", "Why do you go on cruises then"

Relax, Celebrity loves Joni and me!

I feel the exact same way, I've never said everyone should travel this way, just given tips for people who are interested or ask questions. :)

Comments like, hope you spray air freshener as you walk down the hall, & well, wouldn't want to be seated near you after day 3, sheesh, how boring your outfits must be, not playing nicely IMO

BTW, like your luggage. :)

OK everyone has inspired me about packing only carryon. Assuming the airlines dont reduce the carry on limit much more, I plan to try it out next April when I am taking a river cruise through Holland and Belgium followed with 10 days in Paris. I dont want to be lugging a large suitcase by myself on the Train so this will be a good incentive.

Thank you everyone, for your valuable information.:D

OK everyone has inspired me about packing only carryon. Assuming the airlines dont reduce the carry on limit much more, I plan to try it out next April when I am taking a river cruise through Holland and Belgium followed with 10 days in Paris. I dont want to be lugging a large suitcase by myself on the Train so this will be a good incentive.

Thank you everyone, for your valuable information.:D

Hi Anne, I traveled through Europe by myself last year (land) & took a carry on & a small duffle, also my little leather backpack, it really worked out well for me, I even managed to bring along some comfort items

Air France & Air New Zealand both have good carry on amounts for premium economy & above, two carry on's & a personal item.

IMG_1753.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

Hi Debbie,

I read the link you posted with your review of what you took. I would go along the same lines but probably take less jackets and more sweaters. Very good ideas.

I had to laugh about what you said about taking hair rollers as your one indulgence. I know how you feel. I hate spending an hour blowdrying my hair so the one thing I do is to go to a salon every 5-6 days and have it washed and blowdried. Luckily my hair stays clean longer than most people but I still end up putting it in a pony tail towards the end, lol

I do not get manis, pedis, facials or massages so it is my one pampering on cruises and vacations. Plus I get to meet some interesting locals. The French hairdressers are always very friendly. It can get expensive, but so what? They always do a fantastic job wherever I go and I am extremely picky, so it is worth the cost.

I am flying business back from Paris but economy to Amsterdam. I would love to try ANZ but want to minimize the transfers so want to fly direct on one airline to Amsterdam. But I will try ANZ the next time I go to London and thanks for the advice.

I am glad you liked traveling alone. I have been doing it off and on since the 70s most of the time and love it.

Hi Debbie,

I read the link you posted with your review of what you took. I would go along the same lines but probably take less jackets and more sweaters. Very good ideas.

I had to laugh about what you said about taking hair rollers as your one indulgence. I know how you feel. I hate spending an hour blowdrying my hair so the one thing I do is to go to a salon every 5-6 days and have it washed and blowdried. Luckily my hair stays clean longer than most people but I still end up putting it in a pony tail towards the end, lol

I do not get manis, pedis, facials or massages so it is my one pampering on cruises and vacations. Plus I get to meet some interesting locals. The French hairdressers are always very friendly. It can get expensive, but so what? They always do a fantastic job wherever I go and I am extremely picky, so it is worth the cost.

I am flying business back from Paris but economy to Amsterdam. I would love to try ANZ but want to minimize the transfers so want to fly direct on one airline to Amsterdam. But I will try ANZ the next time I go to London and thanks for the advice.

I am glad you liked traveling alone. I have been doing it off and on since the 70s most of the time and love it.

This worked for me, (again, I know not for everyone) I never felt deprived, & I just used the hair dryers at the hotels I stayed at, I also brought my own pillow & small blanket, rolled up & tied with ribbon, it doesn't take much space. :) & I needed it as I stayed a few days with my daughter who was living in France at the time.

Have a great trip, & a French hair salon sounds wonderful :)

Maybe I missed something, but you packed all that in a carry on?! Wow that's motivational! :)

Hi, roll it up, & put it in a packing cube & you'd be amazed at what you can fit :) three pairs of skinny jeans & a pair of shorts & leggings fit in a gallon sized baggie for me. :)

& it's a carry on & duffle... I'd be hard pressed to make it in one carry on only. my carry on has wheels & padded backpack straps, very convenient

I did a carry-on rollerboard for 10 days in Europe with no issues. It was really great for the trains and the metro. I could probably do a Med or European cruise. But definitely not caribbean, I always pack my mask, snorkel, shorty wetsuit and booties.

We are taking an 11 day cruise in November. I have been reading this thread and watched a packing video of a person laying out the clothes on top of a carry on alternating top and bottom. He got a lot of stuff in it. I decided to experiment.

I have a very old Lands' End carry on, DH is 6'3" size 13 shoe ( for example purpose)

I packed one pair of sneakers, sock to fill shoes, 3 pair of pants, 8 undies, 10 shirts, polo and a couple of long sleeve and still had a little space left over! I was amazed!!

Edited by music

I see that many of you use packing cubes. I have been rolling my clothes for years, but wondered if there is a particular advantage to using cubes? Other than keeping like stuff together?

I've never had success rolling clothes. How do you roll men's nice cotton dress shirts and not wrinkle them? The best I can do is fold them like the laundry and use tissue paper.

We are taking an 11 day cruise in November.....

I packed one pair of sneakers, sock to fill shoes, 3 pair of pants......

Separated by a common language! I got as far as 3 pairs of pants for a 11 day trip and though Urrrgh. Then realized. You were referring to trousers!

I see that many of you use packing cubes. I have been rolling my clothes for years, but wondered if there is a particular advantage to using cubes? Other than keeping like stuff together?

This last cruise I used 2 gallon Ziploc plastic bags and separated clothes by category, shirts, shorts....rolled them then into the bags they went.

When we arrived in AMS and fully unpacked in our cabin I was amazed how everything was not wrinkled.

Also kept clothes in bags as they went in the drawers in our cabin, you never know what was in there before.

We are taking an 11 day cruise in November. I have been reading this thread and watched a packing video of a person laying out the clothes on top of a carry on alternating top and bottom. He got a lot of stuff in it. I decided to experiment.

I have a very old Lands' End carry on, DH is 6'3" size 13 shoe ( for example purpose)

I packed one pair of sneakers, sock to fill shoes, 3 pair of pants, 8 undies, 10 shirts, polo and a couple of long sleeve and still had a little space left over! I was amazed!!

I employed the "bundling" technique last cruise...and, like you, I was amazed at how many items this method will accommodate. I took the added precaution of using tissue paper...minimal wrinkling.

Patsy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What other interpretation is there for 'pairs of pants'? Underwear?

Yes. My MIL was British and called me out on this many a time!:rolleyes:

As in "Which pants should I wear tonight?", "I don't know but if you don't wear trousers over them you might get arrested.";)

Edited by cadburysmom