How do you pronounce Cay?

djhsolara

As the title implies, I'm looking to see how you pronounce Cay, as in Half Moon Cay?

Do you say Cay as it rhymes with way, or Cay as it rhymes with me?

I've been around long enough that I thought I knew how to pronounce, but something this week has me questioning it.

Thanks!!

Edited by djhsolara

You see, we've always said it like "key", and have always heard it pronounced like that on HAL, but this week we're on Carnival with a stop at HMC and they pronounce it like "way". At first, I thought it was just a difference in accent with the person at the Shore Excursions desk, but then the CD has been pronouncing it that way too in announcements.

Strange...

Depends on the usage.

For the private island, I pronounce it to rhyme with key. In the first syllable of the islands known for their intentional banking, I pronounce it to rhyme with bay.

But then I have the same issue with quay, as in Circular Quay in Sydney. I'm never sure if it's pronounced to rhyme with key or with bay.

Depends on the usage.

For the private island, I pronounce it to rhyme with key. In the first syllable of the islands known for their intentional banking, I pronounce it to rhyme with bay.

But then I have the same issue with quay, as in Circular Quay in Sydney. I'm never sure if it's pronounced to rhyme with key or with bay.

Circular Quay to rhyme with key.:)

Circular Quay to rhyme with key.:)

"Quay" not only rhymes with "key"; it's exactly how it's pronounced.

And in all the years I lived in Australia, I never heard anyone pronounce it any other way than "key".

I've heard native Australians say it both ways.

From the Australia Oxford Dictionary - Quay pronounced Key and that's the way I have always pronounced Quay in Australia but I'm from Adelaide and we are known for our 'plummy' accents. A Quay is a' solid stationary artificial landing place lying alongside or projecting into water for loading and unloading ships' comes from Middle English.

Whereas a Cay, which is pronounced like way (again from the Australian Oxford Dictionary), is a 'low insular bank or reef of coral, sand, etc' from the spanish word cayo meaning shoal.

Whereas a Key is a 'place that by its position gives control of a sea, territory, etc'.

Well that's my English lesson for the day :D

Depends on the usage.

The Sydney one is definitely Key.

It's pronounced "Ka-ah-hee" just like Hawaii.* No wonder we can't agree on what constitutes formal attire. We can't even agree on how to pronounce a 3 frigging letter word.

*Just kidding. It's "Kee."

im a Floridian and we have the Florida Keys, so if Cay wants to be Key, the Key word should have never been created.

So basically I say Cay like Kay, but frankly dont care either way, i still understand where we are if its a Cay or Key, we are on an Island.