Mobile phone usage in Europe

Does anyone have good idea how to use your cell phone in Europe? We're going on river cruise Istanbul to Amsterdam in Oct so traveling through lots of countries. Not sure whether to get s new SIM card or what to do.

Any advise? I use my data a lot here in New Zealand and will check with my carrier as well for advise.

Thanks

Does anyone have good idea how to use your cell phone in Europe? We're going on river cruise Istanbul to Amsterdam in Oct so traveling through lots of countries. Not sure whether to get s new SIM card or what to do.

Any advise? I use my data a lot here in New Zealand and will check with my carrier as well for advise.

Thanks

Whatever you do, do NOT use data roaming on your regular NZ sim. It will cost you a fortune.

Do some research into international travel sims to see what is available for Europe.

From what I've read online, DO NOT get an Australia Post prepaid TravelSIM. Lots of people seem to have problems with them.

That's funny I've got a friend who swears by them.

From what I've read online, DO NOT get an Australia Post prepaid TravelSIM. Lots of people seem to have problems with them.

That's funny I've got a friend who swears by them.

I don't have any personal experience but the reviews I've read online are not at all favourable.

I cruised in the western Mediterranean last year. I was in London pre-cruise, and bought a local prepaid SIM there. The roaming charges in the rest of Europe were really cheap compared to what my Australia network was charging. It was something like 10p per MB!

Edited by zxc

I cruised in the western Mediterranean last year. I was in London pre-cruise, and bought a local prepaid SIM there. The roaming charges in the rest of Europe were really cheap compared to what my Australia network was charging. It was something like 10p per MB!

I'd have to agree with that. We did the same in Europe a few years ago - best way to go.

I had Telstra, data included, when we went to South Africa - and it was the most expensive rip off I have ever encountered. Never again. :eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

Don't the river cruises include wifi?

Or do you want the data for the town visits?

Yes I was thinking the river cruises have wifi sometimes. I was thinking of texting family sometimes and posting on Facebook our pics.

We arrive in Instanbul. Will contact river cruise line to for info.

Thanks everyone. A bit to think about.

If you have wifi "WhatsApp" is a great way to keep in touch. It doesn't cost anything to text, I am not sure but I think you can even make a call for free. We use it all the time. As I said though you do need wifi.

We have a travelsim card and it has always been great.

We got ours when we went on the world cruise. we were visiting many different countries and we wanted it to cover all of them. Once you arrive in port it searches for a provider and it connects. To make calls it does it like a call back system... dial the number it connects then hangs up, then it automatically calls you back and connects you to the number you are dialling... just follow the instructions after a couple of times it is comes naturally, they may even have a app to help you by now...

On our Avalon River cruise we had free wifi throughout the cruise... well as my husband says .. not free , but included:)

We have a travelsim card and it has always been great.

We got ours when we went on the world cruise. we were visiting many different countries and we wanted it to cover all of them. Once you arrive in port it searches for a provider and it connects. To make calls it does it like a call back system... dial the number it connects then hangs up, then it automatically calls you back and connects you to the number you are dialling... just follow the instructions after a couple of times it is comes naturally, they may even have a app to help you by now...

On our Avalon River cruise we had free wifi throughout the cruise... well as my husband says .. not free , but included:)

Is that the Aus Post one?

Yes....I got my first one from the post office... I actually only just got mine changed to a nano sim from a micro to accom a new phone... Did it on line and got to keep my number

Hi, travel to Europe all the time!

First - get yourself a cheap mobile phone with a prepaid card. Telstra is fine (we use them never a problem) but don't see any drama with the others either. Make sure you turn on international roaming before you leave Australia - on either the prepaid card you buy ( or buy a cheap prepaid phone and leave your good phone at home!!!) turn off all your data roam options once you leave Australia, these are what chew the data. Try and Wait until you are somewhere like a McDonalds or a cafe with free wi-fi to use FB - use these as much as possible!! Not sure about River cruises - but onboard wi-fi usually costs? The thing about prepaid cards is you get notifications when they are low - you can reload them, and a prepaid phone won't break your heart if it's lost or stolen. Hope this helps.

Rose

APT had free wifi on the river cruise I did, the tv doubled as the computer monitor, pretty fancy. slow but it worked.

We dont bother buying new sim cards etc, we just text the family whenever we are away, and if in a wifi area which many hotels /restaurants have we will use viber. viber is free, easy to use, can be used for making and receiving calls and also we loved the fact we could take a picture of us and send to the grandkids through viber immediately.

In the case of a family emergency then I would never consider the cost of a phone call, an emergency is an emergency but for everyday use texting is fine.

I am on optus prepaid so a text costs something like 50 cents when overseas.

Two years ago I picked up an Orange SIM when our cruise ship docked in Malaga. It works fine in my iPhone, and I just recharge it in Spain when the balance gets low. I have a friend in Spain that can add money when I need it. Outside of Spain the rate is $1 per day for calls and $1 per day for 100mb of Internet. I keep reusing the SIM card when I travel to Europe.

Ha ha ha ... we also used to be the last to leave the dining room on the river cruise as that is when you got the free included wine... if you are nice to your waiters you can ensure that they will open a bottle with dessert LOL..

One of the other reasons I need a travel sim as opposed to viber was that I had booked a lot of private tours... so I wanted a real phone just incase I had to ring one of the companies if need be.... Everyone back home we used viber or facebook messenger .... and of course we had to use real phone to ring our elderly parents a few times ( they are not up on technology ) ... I think for 4 months we were lucky to use the $80 I prepaid on the card.

The wi-fi included on the river cruises is not a surprise and good to know😀 Kiwidebbie will however leave the cruise sometimes, so my original advice stands. Prepaid devices are so much easier to use than people think - cards and phones 😉