Do you need passport to get off boat and back on?

DimSum

We will be cruising in the Bahamas. We are US citizens and we travel with our passports all the time. Do we need a passport to re-board the ship? We were not sure what is the procedure for getting off and on the ship.

TIA

While I have never needed it in Nassau I always take my passport with me when visiting another country. I have nightmare visions of getting hurt or missing the ship for some reason and not having official documents to get back home.

I always photocopy our passports before we leave home and use this as our photo ID for re-boarding the ship. That way there is no risk of losing an official ID, be it a passport or driver's license. I would rather risk losing a piece of paper than our actual ID. A piece of paper is cheaper and much easier to replace than a government ID. We have never been questioned about the copy at any port we have visited.

We have a photocopy of our passports in our wallet, but never carry them ashore in a foreign land. They are prized by the thieves and Nassau (with all the violent crime there) is the last place I would carry it!

On our stops there, NCL required the ship card and a photo ID, but kids did not require anything other than their parent and their ship card.

We will be cruising in the Bahamas. We are US citizens and we travel with our passports all the time. Do we need a passport to re-board the ship? We were not sure what is the procedure for getting off and on the ship.

TIA

normally all you need is your cabin key card and a photo Id. If it would make you feel better, you might want to have a photocopy of your passport, but we never take our passports out of the safe while we are cruising.

Edited by newmexicoNita

My 18 yo DD doesn't have her drivers license yet. Would a school issued photo id be acceptable? I don't want her to have to carry her passport with her.

I believe that it will work as I have heard of others using them.

Edited by sparks1093