Wonderful Eastern Med cruise on the Reflection

vickykay

We just returned home from an 11 day Eastern Med cruise on the Reflection. The ship and itinerary were absolutely wonderful. We did a pre-cruise stay for five days in Rome as we had never been there before. We stayed at the Albergo Cesari, which is a charming small hotel about a block or two from the Pantheon. Wonderful hotel, great location ( walking distance to everything), great breakfast. We used Through Eternity Tours ( recommended by Rick Steves) for our tours of the Vatican and Roman Forum/Coluseum. Would highly recommend them. We also did a walking food tour one evening with fellow cruisers who were also staying at. The hotel. Lots of fun and lots of great food.

We shared a van with fellow cruisers ( love Connections) to the port and were on the ship by 11:15. Having been on other S shops, we felt like we were coming home. A couple of weeks before sailing, we were able to upgrade from our CC cabin to a Sky Suite at very little additional cost. Wow, we could not believe how big the cabin and bathroom were, with tons of storage. The only thing we did not like was the overhang on the balcony and therefor never had any sun. We did eat in Luminae ( will post a separate thread), which had outstanding service.

We enjoyed everything about the ship. Service was great, wonderful staff, etc. We enjoyed all the shows, except one comedian, and the singers were the best we have every heard on a ship. We usually spent an hour before dinner at the Martini Bar where the three bartenders put on a show form all sitting at the bar. We had the fastest internet speed we have ever experience on a ship. Also very mixed aged groups on the ship.

We were fortunate to have wonderful weather both pre-cruise and at all the ports. We had arranged small group tours wih fellow cruisers through these boards, with the exception of Santorini where we did a ship excursion, which worked out well. Just be prepared for a lot of walking.

I would be happy to answer any questions.

Vicky

Edited by vickykay

Vicky, glad you had such a great trip, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and information.

We stayed at the Albergo Cesari last fall, and loved it as well. You just can't beat that location, and breakfast on the rooftop terrace was such a great way to start the day.

One question: were there a lot of kids on board, or were you still too early for that?

Thanks for the info! We will be on the Reflection at the end of June! I love reading anything and everything about the ship and itinerary!

Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the ship tour for Santorini? I have heard that ships tours there get off the boat first and so don't tend to have much of a wait or hassle. Was that your experience?

Thanks!

Edited by lvssushi

Yes, that's exactly why we chose that tour. First tenders, right to where buses are waiting. Up to winery first, then to Oia and the to Fira. Also nice commentary about Santorini by the guide on our bus. Less hassle than trying on own. We had dinner in a wonderful restaurant in Fia overlooking the water.

Thanks for your comments, we will be taking the same cruise in August. With the ship did you just get off the tour and find a place to eat or was that arranged thru the tour .

Edited by hathaway42

We went on our own. The restaurant is called Naoussa and it was located on the Main Street close to where our tour guide left us. Great starters, Greek Salad and moussaka!

Was recommended by someone on the port of calls board. Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you so much for posting. We are doing this itinerary in the fall and love hearing about it.

As for ports of call did you do private tours or on your own?'Any must see or do or what you thought was not worthwhile, I would love to hear about.

Wendy

Where to start as these ports were amazing! We were a group of eight for most tours. We used Best of Ephesus for Istanbul and Ephesus, Private Greece Tours for Athens, and AP tours for Pompei, Positano amd Sorrento. Very happy with all tours. We did add a guide ( two hours) for Pompei. The other tours came with full day guides. Check your roll call to find others who are interested or forming groups..

Yes, that's exactly why we chose that tour. First tenders, right to where buses are waiting. Up to winery first, then to Oia and the to Fira. Also nice commentary about Santorini by the guide on our bus. Less hassle than trying on own. We had dinner in a wonderful restaurant in Fia overlooking the water.

Thanks so much for the review, I'm on this same cruise this Monday. This tour you're referring to isn't by chance the "Village of Oia and Santorini Island" tour is it?

We are taking this same cruise, but unfortunately not until summer 2016! We are also doing a pre-cruise stay in Rome but for three days. I have looked at Albergo Cesari and Albergo del Senato. Thanks for the information!

Hi Vicky, glad you had a great cruise:)....I am thinking back to my

cruise to the Med...it was back in May 2012 and I wonder where the

years have gone.:eek:....that was the best cruise I have ever taken,

by far.......one day I hope to go back.

We are going on this cruise on Monday, June 8. How were people dress for formal night?

I'm wondering if I should bring my tux or just a suit.

When you arrived back in Rome, what time were you required to disembark?

Thanks,

We were actually surprised at how dressy everyone was, even on non-formal nights. In our experience, people do dress up more on European cruises. My husband did wear his tux and was a.so worried that he would be the only one, but many others a.so had tuxes, even in Luminae. We Evan saw many with white dinner jackets. Dark suits as well so either will probably be fine.

We were asked to vacate our cabins by 8:00. Disembarkation was as late as 9 to 9:30. Very quick disembarkation. Suitcases waiting and no customs to go thru.

Have a wonderful time!

Hi Vicky, Thanks for your reply. You mentioned finding people on the Roll Call to join or plan excursions. How do you join the Roll Call? I see the Roll Call and some people are posting, but I don't see a place to join.

Thanks,

Hi Vicky, Thanks for your reply. You mentioned finding people on the Roll Call to join or plan excursions. How do you join the Roll Call? I see the Roll Call and some people are posting, but I don't see a place to join.

Thanks,

You just post onto that thread. :)

Thanks,

Go to top of page and hit"find Your Celebrity Roll Call". Enter ship and date. You will then see the roll call thread, just like this one. You just hit post reply and introduce yourself in your post and ask any question or comment in your post.

Thanks,

Hi,:) I am not Vicky but here is a link to the roll call....just click on it

and you can post on there just like you posted on here;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2030073