Scandinavia and Russia Cruise - Currency Questions

My husband and I are sailing on the Regal Princess in July. The cruise stops at 8 different ports, representing 5 different currencies (Danish Krone, Swedish Krona, Norwegian Krona, Russian Ruble, and the Euro). It would be difficult, if not unnecessary, to obtain each (all) of these currencies for our port days.

We will spend two nights in Copenhagen before the cruise exploring the city. While I recognize that we can use our credit cards for most things, I am trying to decide how much local currency (DKK) I should obtain for this part of our trip and where to find it. The AAA offers foreign currency with a $200 minimum order.

Can anyone who had visited Copenhagen, then sailed this itinerary, offer some advice on what I should do?

Sadie

This subject was covered pretty well in the thread entitled "Currency". Posting #14 by Spbstan has a lot of good information from a local.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2210333

The consensus seemed to be that buying currency before you arrive is not cost-effective (but I know a lot of people are uncomfortable arriving in a foreign country without cash).

I travel overseas a lot and never pre-purchase foreign currency. I wait until I arrive in country and use an ATM to get a little cash. I will be doing the same when I arrive in Copenhagen next month for our Baltic cruise.

My husband and I are sailing on the Regal Princess in July. The cruise stops at 8 different ports, representing 5 different currencies (Danish Krone, Swedish Krona, Norwegian Krona, Russian Ruble, and the Euro). It would be difficult, if not unnecessary, to obtain each (all) of these currencies for our port days.

We will spend two nights in Copenhagen before the cruise exploring the city. While I recognize that we can use our credit cards for most things, I am trying to decide how much local currency (DKK) I should obtain for this part of our trip and where to find it. The AAA offers foreign currency with a $200 minimum order.

Can anyone who had visited Copenhagen, then sailed this itinerary, offer some advice on what I should do?

Sadie

Hi, Sadie.

We haven't visited yet but our RCI Baltic cruise is right around the corner for us. We're also stopping in Iceland for 2 nights pre-cruise, then 3 nights in Copenhagen. My comments may or may not be of any help to you, but I like having local currency in hand when we land, so that we can purchase train/metro/bus tickets, buy a bottle of water or a coffee, etc., without having to find an ATM right off the bat.

I usually purchase foreign currency from our local bank, which charges a per-order service fee. I routinely get about $50 USD in the appropriate foreign currencies for our port days on the cruise, to cover souvenirs and a snack. At the end of the cruise, if I have leftover foreign currency and I'm not planning on returning in the near future, I'll incorporate that into extra tips to the crew (hopefully they'll be able to use it on the rare occasion they get off the ship!).

We plan on using our credit cards for the hotels and car rentals and for some meals, but otherwise I think I stuck with getting around $50 USD in the appropriate currency for each day of our pre-cruise stays. So I purchased probably $100 USD in ISK and $150 in DKK to have for the Metro, or taxi to the port.....or for a coffee or beer or three.....in Iceland and Denmark.

Best wishes, and enjoy your cruise!

This subject was covered pretty well in the thread entitled "Currency". Posting #14 by Spbstan has a lot of good information from a local.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2210333

The consensus seemed to be that buying currency before you arrive is not cost-effective (but I know a lot of people are uncomfortable arriving in a foreign country without cash).

I travel overseas a lot and never pre-purchase foreign currency. I wait until I arrive in country and use an ATM to get a little cash. I will be doing the same when I arrive in Copenhagen next month for our Baltic cruise.

I'm not the OP but thank you for the link, I'm off to read it. Yes, I'm one of those people who are uncomfortable arriving without cash, LOL.

Best wishes!

We did the same itinerary May 2-13. Before the trip, I ordered foreign currency online from my bank, Wells Fargo. I got $200 in Danish Krone, $200 in Euro's and $200 in Russian Rubles and $100 in Swedish Kroner. The only leftovers we had were in Danish and Euro's. The Danish was for Taxi's and the Russian for goodies. Found most places took Euro's and USD.

We always obtain local currency through ATM's once in port. We have a Schwab checking account we use solely for international travel that provides an ATM card with zero foreign transaction fees and refunds your account for all ATM fees. We fund the account prior to the trip and have even transferred money into the account electronically while overseas. It has really simplified the international currency dilemma for us.

Also, when cruising the Med a couple years ago our cruise line had 2 ATM's by guest relations. One dispensed USD the other Euros. We used both a couple of times. No big deal since the Schwab account paid all the fees.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by envirochick

Only got Danish knonas since we stayed tbere pre-and post cruise and. E UROS ftom aTM to pay guide in Tallinn. I hadn't realuzed that the countries take credit cards for even small purchases. Very helpful.

Just returned from Baltic cruise. We took $400 US,400Euro,MC(no chip) and Discover (chip). Between the 4 we had no problems at all.

Did you stay over in Copenhagen?

Were you able to use either Euros or USDollars in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Russia, where each one has its own currency?

Did you take Taxis? What did you use for those?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Sadie

Thank you Holly2. We have already scheduled transfers from the airport to hotel in Cooenhagen, from the hotel to the ship, and from the ship back to the airport but that was all in the cost of our trip so I can't round up. Should I get Danish Krone and give the driver a couple of Krone?

We did the same itinerary May 2-13. Before the trip, I ordered foreign currency online from my bank, Wells Fargo. I got $200 in Danish Krone, $200 in Euro's and $200 in Russian Rubles and $100 in Swedish Kroner. The only leftovers we had were in Danish and Euro's. The Danish was for Taxi's and the Russian for goodies. Found most places took Euro's and USD.

I agree. I would have some Euros since they are accepted everywhere. I did get some Danish Krone since we were spending several days in Copenhagen. We drove into Sweden for a day and I had not Swedish Kroner. We either used our credit card or Danish Krone or Euros.

Russian gift stores took everything even US dollars. If you use USDs, bring some smaller bills. Otherwise, credit cards were accepted everywhere.

The cruise stops at 8 different ports, representing 5 different currencies (Danish Krone, Swedish Krona, Norwegian Krona, Russian Ruble, and the Euro). It would be difficult, if not unnecessary, to obtain each (all) of these currencies for our port days.

I have followed this, and several other threads on the same subject with interest and, I must admit, disappointment and not a little anger at the attitude of some of the posters towards using currency other than that of the country which they are visiting.

I live in Germany (EUR) and travel extensively in the Netherlands (EUR), Belgium (EUR), France (EUR), Italy (EUR), Switzerland (CHF), Denmark (DKK), Sweden (SEK) and Great Britain (GBP). Every time I travel in one of the first five I bless the use of a common currency, it makes life easier. But when travelling in one of the other four I always use their own currency.

Why ?

Firstly, these countries have chosen to keep their own currencies, usually for economic reasons but also as a matter of pride and independence and this choice deserves respect. They have strong currencies and no need of any other to boost their economy, they only accept other currencies to oblige the tourists who do not have the courtesy to use the local currency and the locals from the countries with which they share a common border.

Secondly, travelling is not just a matter of seeing foreign places and sights, it is also an opportunity to learn about and interact with the local people and the culture and surely, using their money is part of that culture. It can also be a lot of fun!

Like the Australian dollar, the New Zealand dollar, the Canadian dollar, the Chinese yuan, the Indian rupee and many others the US dollar is a 'stand alone' currency, ie. it is the official currency of only one country. It is welcomed in some countries as 'hard currency' which helps to boost their economy but the European and Scandinavian countries do not fall into this category.

Using you own currency can also be a two edged sword. One example being menus written in English and priced in US dollars where the prices are 10% higher than those in the local language and currency. (Yes, I know it is illegal but it does happen. I have experienced it myself).

Would a taxi driver in New York accept Danish krone, a cafe in Dehli accept Swedish krona, a street vendor in Bejing accept Swiss francs, or an ice cream shop in Sydney accept Euros ? Somehow I can't see it happening ! They have no obligation to do so and there is no reason why they should.

We all spend a great deal of time planning and arranging every aspect of our journey; where and when to go, visas, passports, tickets, what to wear, what to see; so instead of worrying about which country will accept your own currency why not take that bit more time and plan to use the currency of each country you will visit (making the exchange in whatever way suits you - cash from the bank, exchange on the ship. ATM etc). You get interaction from the locals as you try to sort out the coins and it shows a respect for your hosts and their culture which is very much appreciated.

Everyone has their own way of enjoying their travels and this is just my personal opinion on this particular aspect of travelling, based on experience and local feedback. Maybe it will provide a little food for thought.

Happy cruising,

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
Spelling

Did you stay over in Copenhagen?

Were you able to use either Euros or USDollars in Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Russia, where each one has its own currency?

Did you take Taxis? What did you use for those?

Sorry to be asking so many questions.

Sadie

We were in Copenhagen overnight and did ships tour only. There were 6 of us so we did not use taxis at all. We used our cc's most of the time and for small purchases it seems like Euros were accepted anywhere. If you don't use local currency pay attention to exchange rate you get at purchase

... it seems like Euros were accepted anywhere. If you don't use local currency pay attention to exchange rate you get at purchase

Let me put this another way. There's nothing to pay attention to; you can be 100% confident that you will be getting a poor exchange rate.

You can either spend money buying foreign currencies in advance (and deal with the inevitable excess) or you can spend money in a poor exchange rate because you're paying in a non-local currency.

On a port call with a unique currency, I try to manage my money, but I basically accept that I'll have some left over. If I don't expect to visit again, I take the left-over money and hunt for a collection canister somewhere in the airport/cruise terminal. If I don't find a collection point, many airlines actually collect foreign currency for charity in flight.

Twelve airlines, including American, support UNICEF through their Change for Good money collection efforts.

http://www.unicefusa.org/supporters/organizations/businesses/partners/aa/change-good

British Airways has its own program called Flying Start.

Virgin Atlantic has a program called Change for Children.

Lufthansa and other airlines have joined together with a program called

Help Alliance.

Delta supports CARE, but I'm not certain they do this by collecting foreign currency.

Other than Delta, the airlines I've mentioned should have collection envelopes on board. If the airline doesn't make an announcement about their program, try asking a flight attendant. (In the months leading up to the conversion from local currencies to Euro, announcements were common. I can't recall the last time I've heard an announcement, but the collection programs exist.)

And finally, since we're on the Northern Europe & Baltics board, here's a program that's specific to Stockholm. The airport authority teamed up with another organization to create an arcade featuring older style games (e.g. PacMan). The machines are designed to accept coins in a variety of foreign currencies. The money generated by these machines gets turned over to the Red Cross.

http://creativity-online.com/work/swedish-airports-charity-arcade--play-for-the-red-cross/39721

I'm happy to contribute my money to charity and not stress about my personal waste. Great British Pounds and Euro go home and straight to the safe deposit box to wait until our next appropriate trip.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

If you are using $$ and Euros in countries where that is not the official currency several things are probably happening.

1. You are getting ripped off. (Actually this is a guarantee. The "conversion" rate that merchant is happily giving you is much higher then you would have gotten had you walked over to an ATM and withdrawn some local currency. Yes, he's happy you just paid a lot more the going rate for his cheap trinket LOL!)

2. You are continuing the stereotype of "ugly American" if you are from America by proving that you think "we rule the world with $$" Don't be surprised if you then think "the locals are rude".

3. You look to the local thief/con artist/etc... like an easy mark who is unprepared and gullible.

And Peter Nit Noy makes a good point about donations. I have also seen donation collection points in major European airports for reputable charities.

Well said Anni and Peter Nit Noy! Firstly, how many more threads do we have to see regarding currencies? This subject has been done to the death - why don't people bother to check for previous threads instead of posting the same questions over and over again?!

Secondly, if people are sophisticated and affluent enough to be in a position to travel internatioanally on holiday why is an individual country's currency such a difficult concept to grasp? It's the easiest thing in the world to just draw some money out of an ATM when you arrive in a country. They're in all airports, train stations and cruise terminals I've travelled to - which is extensive all over the world. Local guides, shops and restaurants in tourist areas will quite happily accept the $ as they know they're laughing by giving you a dire exchange rate!

If you end up with any over, give it to charity as Peter Nit Noy suggests, or cash it in at your bank or currency exchange when you get home.

I actually miss the time before the Euro when we had Dutch Gulden (or was it Gylden) German D-Mark, the Franc etc.

Now I'm only looking at the same Euro bill or coin and that is a little bit boring so I'm actually looking forward to see how a Thailand Bath looks like when I'm visiting Phuket for the Christmas holiday. :D

To go back to the topic I would say that in the store I work at we accept Pund Sterling, US Dollar, Euro and Swedish and Norwegian kroners but the exchange rate is horrible.

I had a costumer who wanted to buy something for 35 kroner in euro but the price came out at 42 or 43 kroner with the exchange rate.

I actually miss the time before the Euro when we had Dutch Gulden (or was it Gylden) German D-Mark, the Franc etc.

Now I'm only looking at the same Euro bill or coin and that is a little bit boring so I'm actually looking forward to see how a Thailand Bath looks like when I'm visiting Phuket for the Christmas holiday. :D

To go back to the topic I would say that in the store I work at we accept Pund Sterling, US Dollar, Euro and Swedish and Norwegian kroners but the exchange rate is horrible.

I had a costumer who wanted to buy something for 35 kroner in euro but the price came out at 42 or 43 kroner with the exchange rate.

But if you pay by CC in kroner, then the issuing bank exchanges it to dollars at a more favorable rate? I'm hoping to use my cc most places but don't want to get hosed on the exchange.

We just returned from that itinerary. Lots of different currency - - and time zones - for sure. We travel international quite a bit, and ATM is how we always obtain cash for incidentals- CC for purchases. It is too expensive to pay for international currency ahead through your bank, AAA, credit union......

But if you pay by CC in kroner, then the issuing bank exchanges it to dollars at a more favorable rate? I'm hoping to use my cc most places but don't want to get hosed on the exchange.

Yes, credit cards are the best way to make purchases in foreign currency. Here's why: There are two banks involved, the foreign bank that handles, let's say Visa, charges for the store/restaurant/tour/admissions in various countries and the US bank that administers your Visa card. When you purchase a meal, your individual charge gets bundled with all other purchases made by anyone using a Visa card from the same bank. Each day this group of charges gets submitted to the appropriate US bank. The exchange rate for such a large sum of money will always be better than the individual exchange rate for a single customer doing a single transaction.

Watch out for the following gimmick: If the store/restaurant etc asks if you want to charge the amount in dollars or in the local currency, ALWAYS say "local currency." The reality is that you're not going to be charged in dollars. The sales slip will read dollars, but the minute the bank authorizes your charge, the purchase will be converted to the local currency. And that conversion costs you.

Once your purchase is converted into the local currency, the bundling process that I described above takes and your bank converts your foreign purchase to US dollars. Now, you're paying two conversion fees!

The offer to charge in dollars takes advantage of travelers' timidity about local currency. You'll pay for the privilege of seeing your receipt expressed in dollars, but you haven't saved a conversion step. You've added one and lost money in the process.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy