Triumph/passengers left in Cozumel

brtls5

We had a big time watching 3 runners winding down the concrete sidewalk to the pier at Roatan (Coxen Hole) while sitting in our balcony. A flip-flop flew off of the female runner and she stopped to retrieve then continued to run. The ship was pulling away and they reached the dock when the Carnival Glory was about 30 feet out. They waved and jumped around and still looked like they were having a good time. Lucky for them, they were allowed to ride the harbor pilot boat out to the ship and get onboard.

We have observed pier runners on at least 6 different occassions (and left behind some on one cruise).

We had a big time watching 3 runners winding down the concrete sidewalk to the pier at Roatan (Coxen Hole) while sitting in our balcony. A flip-flop flew off of the female runner and she stopped to retrieve then continued to run. The ship was pulling away and they reached the dock when the Carnival Glory was about 30 feet out. They waved and jumped around and still looked like they were having a good time. Lucky for them, they were allowed to ride the harbor pilot boat out to the ship and get onboard.

those darn flip flops will get ya every time:D

Not quite correct. Mexico proper does observe daylight savings time but at different calendar period than the US. (April 5 to Oct 25 vs Mar 8-Nov 1)

What Cozumel did in February 2015 was to shift from Central Standard time to Eastern Standard Time. Thus the hour earlier (or 2 hours earlier from Galveston/NOLA) At the time of this post (11:20 EDT) it's 10:20EST in Cozumel.

So they should have been back to the ship early.

I remember a few years ago, the ship had already left Cozumel and was already sailed well out past the harbor. Heard an announcement from the captain that there was a late passenger and he had to come up the ladder of shame. I looked down from my balcony and this old guy was on a pilot and was able to get back on the ship while everyone was waving and cheering him on.

I remember a few years ago, the ship had already left Cozumel and was already sailed well out past the harbor. Heard an announcement from the captain that there was a late passenger and he had to come up the ladder of shame. I looked down from my balcony and this old guy was on a pilot and was able to get back on the ship while everyone was waving and cheering him on.

We've seen that happen as well, but it was in St. Thomas. In that case it was a young couple. They DID have to pay the pilot a hefty price to take them out and stop the ship, not to mention the crew having to help them onboard, but that was about 15 years ago, so I didn't know if they would do that now, or not.

I used to love the Carnival Celebration out of Galveston about 10 years ago. It would stop at Cozumel and leave at 11pm. Starting about 10:45, people were poured out of cabs right at the ship before the pier was rebuilt. It was fun to watch from the deck. For the less wild, you could have dinner in town or do a night dive. It was great. I guess the ship felt the loss of one night of liquor sales and quit that.

Im still a big fan of Carnival out of Galveston.

Just off the triumph this am. We were in Cozumel on Saturday. It was clear that a passenger was missing some of his party. He looked very distressed on the pier. Does anyone know what happened? Did some passengers get left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It happens quite often in Cozumel because they are all drunk.

I've never missed the ship, and have never came close, nor will I ever, but after reading this thread right before bed, with a few glasses of wine in me, I bet I have a dream about missing the ship.:D I just hope there's a beautiful woman on my arm in the dream. LOL

I am not suggesting by any means that Carnival should do this, but at a port like Cozumel; I wonder if it would not be a good idea to have a team of staff go down to the port area/Puerta Maya, and make some announcements, blow a horn or two or three, scout out those three amigo places, to "remind" some people that they are about to be left behind. Again...I know..not Carnival's responsibility, but I am thinking about the poor distraught guy on the pier, and how he must have felt knowing that some of his buddies or family were going to be left behind in a foreign country, and to have to make their own way back home. Often the ship blows a horn a few times too...I just feel bad for that poor guy standing on the pier looking for his buddies/family.:o

So the crew doesn't have enough to do already without having to go look for irresponsible drinkers? :rolleyes:

Nah, let those not responsible enough to get back to the ship on time walk home. ;)

Just off the triumph this am. We were in Cozumel on Saturday. It was clear that a passenger was missing some of his party. He looked very distressed on the pier. Does anyone know what happened? Did some passengers get left?

We're just off the Triumph. The last 7 passengers were slow to board; one was a family of 6 and the last one was a woman by herself. We were on deck 3, outside watching for last minute stragglers. Once all were accounted for we sailed away on time. We listened to the ships officers communicate on their radios for the last 20 minutes prior to sailing, the 7 were the only ones. They also knew when they were in the shop along the pier as we were the only ship in port. No one was left behind in Cozumel.

We did have a passenger claim to have seen a small raft or boat the night we left Progreso. They waited 45 min before telling anyone. We slowed and circled for a while, they used the searchlights and then we went on.

Edited by BallFour4

In my experience, it's not the people drinking near port that are the pier runners. Usually ones who have gone off on their to enjoy the port. And not always those who are partying too much. On our cruise last week in Cozumel, they called 2 names to please call guest services desk. About 3 mins later, 2 elderly persons came riding up on the bike taxis and boarded the ship. Responsibility comes in all shapes, sizes & ages. Just my opinion.

Edited by LSUcajunmom

So the crew doesn't have enough to do already without having to go look for irresponsible drinkers? :rolleyes:

Nah, let those not responsible enough to get back to the ship on time walk home. ;)

I agree with you. I know that the crew already have more than enough responsibities, and should not have to do this. Given my own professional background, I have little if any tolerance for lateness. I just felt bad for the guy on the pier who was panicking about missing friends or family. I was not feeling bad, nor do I ever feel bad for pier runners who are heading back from Senor Frog's Type places.

Did we actually ever find out if some one was left behind or not? edit; oh I see it now, back a few posts. Thanks for the info.

Edited by SMSACE6

I agree with you. I know that the crew already have more than enough responsibities, and should not have to do this. Given my own professional background, I have little if any tolerance for lateness. I just felt bad for the guy on the pier who was panicking about missing friends or family. I was not feeling bad, nor do I ever feel bad for pier runners who are heading back from Senor Frog's.

Did we actually ever find out if some one was left behind or not?

There is not a Senior Frogs where the Triumph docks, it' Fat Tuesdays.

We didn't leave anyone in Cozumel. We watched the last twenty minutes of boarding prior to sail away. We could hear the crew and officers counting down the numbers of passengers left as well as the names by voice and radio communication.

No announcements or passengers names were called over the PA, or none was heard on deck 3 outside under the life boats.

Pier runner watching is a favorite, and the Triumph is rarely disappointing.

Edited by BallFour4

There is not a Senior Frogs where the Triumph docks, it' Fat Tuesdays.

We didn't leave anyone in Cozumel. We watched the last twenty minutes of boarding prior to sail away. We could hear the crew and officers counting down the numbers of passengers left as well as the names by voice and radio communication.

No announcements or passengers names were called over the PA, or none was heard on deck 3 outside under the life boats.

Sorry...I edited my post to Senor Frog type places, meaning fat Tuesday, 3 amigos, margaritaville, poncho's, Im sure there are more. I just meant those types of places. edit edit again....and had also previously edited that post to say I did see the earlier one that said no one was left behind. ok last word on this topic.

Edited by SMSACE6

Sorry...I edited my post to Senor Frog type places, meaning fat Tuesday, 3 amigos, margaritaville, poncho's, Im sure there are more. I just meant those types of places. edit edit again....and had also previously edited that post to say I did see the earlier one that said no one was left behind. ok last word on this topic.

Sounds like we both enjoyed the days of watching at Senor Frogs (sp) as they came down the escalator. That made crossing the street worth the hassle!

Edited by BallFour4

Bah. I was so disappointed by Triumph pier running.

We didn't leave for over an hour and a half after we were scheduled to because there were SO many late people. No one ran because there were so many people behind.

We finally had to give up on watching so we wouldn't miss Super Duper Trivia (ships on sticks don't win themselves), well after we were already scheduled to leave.

Lots and lots of drunk people being carried or held because they were in no condition to walk. But no runners.

Bah. I was so disappointed by Triumph pier running.

We didn't leave for over an hour and a half after we were scheduled to because there were SO many late people. No one ran because there were so many people behind.

We finally had to give up on watching so we wouldn't miss Super Duper Trivia (ships on sticks don't win themselves), well after we were already scheduled to leave.

Lots and lots of drunk people being carried or held because they were in no condition to walk. But no runners.

What cruise were you on? We left at the scheduled time for both ports. A few wobblers and a couple wheeled on in Progreso but no drunks in Cozumel. We had prime seats to watch both ports.