Triumph/passengers left in Cozumel

brtls5

I have often wondered, do the bars in the cruise terminal make any attempt to chase out cruise passengers? Is there a last call, announcement or anything?

Don't the cruise lines control the cruise terminals? I can't imagine they would be very happy with a bar that makes a habit of creating pier runners or even worse, people missing the ship.

It may not be Carnival's fault, but you still don't want a bunch of people going home complaining about missing the ship because they were at a bar 200 feet away.

Often multiple ships in port and its really hard to not hear the ship blow its horn. Amazingly enough for such a tiny island and close proximity, folks miss it.

I am sitting here trying to figure out how the bars could even begin to try to get cruisers back to their respective ships when there are multiple ships in port.

The staff remind you before debarking about what time you need to return to the ship. Funny thing is, there are so many times that even when they say the ship is due to leave at a certain time, it is usually 30 minutes later that it pulls away.

I believe that as passengers we are responsible for boarding the ship on time, after all, we are adults.

Are the bars supposed to keep a list of which ships are in port on any given day and to know the times of departures?

If they did I guess you want them to keep making announcements all afternoon?

No the bars are not owned or controlled by the cruise lines.

Like the above [poster said, take responsibility for your actions.:)

Bill

Everyone on the island knows which ships are coming and what time. You better believe the bars in the cruise terminal know.

I also like how this is turning into me not being responsible. This was a simple question I had. Something I was curious about. We walked through Margaritaville at Grand Turk on our way back to the ship. It was absolutely packed and a thought that ran through my mind. It is amazing how I am not a responsible person now.

Everyone on the island knows which ships are coming and what time. You better believe the bars in the cruise terminal know.

I also like how this is turning into me not being responsible. This was a simple question I had. Something I was curious about. We walked through Margaritaville at Grand Turk on our way back to the ship. It was absolutely packed and a thought that ran through my mind. It is amazing how I am not a responsible person now.

Your question made sense to me; especially since you specifically mentioned bars at the cruise terminal. Margaritaville at Grand Turk is right at the ship as well as the bars on Puerta Maya in Cozumel and many other Carnival cruise ports.

I am not suggesting by any means that Carnival should do this, but at a port like Cozumel; I wonder if it would not be a good idea to have a team of staff go down to the port area/Puerta Maya, and make some announcements, blow a horn or two or three, scout out those three amigo places, to "remind" some people that they are about to be left behind. Again...I know..not Carnival's responsibility, but I am thinking about the poor distraught guy on the pier, and how he must have felt knowing that some of his buddies or family were going to be left behind in a foreign country, and to have to make their own way back home. Often the ship blows a horn a few times too...I just feel bad for that poor guy standing on the pier looking for his buddies/family.:o

By your post I think you must be a kind and thoughtful person. But not everyone is like you.

I can see it now. The board will be full of people complaining that Carnival didn't come into the bar they were in to remind people it was time to leave. And then of course there would be an abundance of misinformation on the board about where Staff make the announcements. Next would come all the people wanting compensation because they missed the ship because Carnival didn't come get them from their hangout.

Some times trying to make the situation better actually makes it worse.

Your question made sense to me; especially since you specifically mentioned bars at the cruise terminal. Margaritaville at Grand Turk is right at the ship as well as the bars on Puerta Maya in Cozumel and many other Carnival cruise ports.

Exactly. Most of these bars exist to serve tourists, not the locals. If your livelihood depends upon ships dropping off thousands of tourists at certain times, you are going to know exactly when that is. The port authority in every port publishes a list of which ships are to arrive and when. Also, even when a ship is rerouted, they find out. I recall on the Liberty when Costa Maya was substituted for Grand Cayman due to a tropical storm, everyone was there to meet us. Yes, they were scrambling as they hadn't expected a ship until a day before, but they knew what time we'd be there.

Were it me, while the revenue is great, I wouldn't want a bar full of people who just missed their ship. It certainly isn't going to help your reputation and there may well be some angry drunks in there.

Exactly. Most of these bars exist to serve tourists, not the locals. If your livelihood depends upon ships dropping off thousands of tourists at certain times, you are going to know exactly when that is. The port authority in every port publishes a list of which ships are to arrive and when. Also, even when a ship is rerouted, they find out. I recall on the Liberty when Costa Maya was substituted for Grand Cayman due to a tropical storm, everyone was there to meet us. Yes, they were scrambling as they hadn't expected a ship until a day before, but they knew what time we'd be there.

Were it me, while the revenue is great, I wouldn't want a bar full of people who just missed their ship. It certainly isn't going to help your reputation and there may well be some angry drunks in there.

I don't know why you seem to be stuck on this but yeah, the bars know when the ships are coming in. I really doubt they care when they leave, but anyway, it is in no way their responsibility to make sure you get back on the ship.

I don't know why you seem to be stuck on this but yeah, the bars know when the ships are coming in. I really doubt they care when they leave, but anyway, it is in no way their responsibility to make sure you get back on the ship.

Perhaps I wanted to ask a question and instead got a multitude of people telling me to be responsible? I'm as welcome to my opinion here as everyone else.

What is wrong with being curious?

I have often wondered, do the bars in the cruise terminal make any attempt to chase out cruise passengers? Is there a last call, announcement or anything?

Don't the cruise lines control the cruise terminals? I can't imagine they would be very happy with a bar that makes a habit of creating pier runners or even worse, people missing the ship.

It may not be Carnival's fault, but you still don't want a bunch of people going home complaining about missing the ship because they were at a bar 200 feet away.

The cruise terminal is controlled by the port authority which is associated with the host government. It may be that they do make announcements, I've never stayed long enough to find out and don't intend to. But even with announcements some will obviously not get the message and run late, taking the chance of missing the ship.

Perhaps I wanted to ask a question and instead got a multitude of people telling me to be responsible? I'm as welcome to my opinion here as everyone else.

What is wrong with being curious?

You have been given the answer several times in various ways but you can't or don't want to accept it.

The bars are not responsible for making sure people get back on the ship in time. That would be a slippery slope to even start as has been pointed out.

I don't know what you are wanting except maybe people to start agreeing with you.

If it is your opinion the bars should be telling adult people when it is time to go back to the ship, that is fine, but it is not going to happen.

The cruise terminal is controlled by the port authority which is associated with the host government. It may be that they do make announcements, I've never stayed long enough to find out and don't intend to. But even with announcements some will obviously not get the message and run late, taking the chance of missing the ship.

Thank you.

Like yourself, I don't plan on hanging around long enough to find out. It was something I was simply curious about.

You have been given the answer several times in various ways but you can't or don't want to accept it.

The bars are not responsible for making sure people get back on the ship in time. That would be a slippery slope to even start as has been pointed out.

I don't know what you are wanting except maybe people to start agreeing with you.

If it is your opinion the bars should be telling adult people when it is time to go back to the ship, that is fine, but it is not going to happen.

Telling me the bars are not responsible is not answering the question. If you told me the bars don't make an announcement, that would be answering my question.

I'm not looking for any particular answer here as I don't intend to put myself in a situation where it matters. It is something I was simply curious about, but you and others want to lecture me about responsibility. Other than satisifying my curiosity, the answer doesn't mean a thing to me. You could tell me the bars close the doors at 5pm sharp and if you are inside, tough you miss the ship.

I don't know why you seem to have trouble with such a simple question? You need to stop assuming and take the question at face value. Instead, you seem much more interested in trying to take a moral high ground.

Telling me the bars are not responsible is not answering the question. If you told me the bars don't make an announcement, that would be answering my question.

I'm not looking for any particular answer here as I don't intend to put myself in a situation where it matters. It is something I was simply curious about, but you and others want to lecture me about responsibility. Other than satisifying my curiosity, the answer doesn't mean a thing to me. You could tell me the bars close the doors at 5pm sharp and if you are inside, tough you miss the ship.

I don't know why you seem to have trouble with such a simple question? You need to stop assuming and take the question at face value. Instead, you seem much more interested in trying to take a moral high ground.

The answer to your question is no, they do not make announcements, but I was in one of the bars in Cozumel one evening around ship leaving time and there was a table full of guys and I did here them ask them if they were from some ship and the guys said yeah, and they said well it is pulling out and the guys got up and ran.

So I guess occasionally they do tell customers.

We also had a young couple staying at our hotel that had fallen asleep on the beach and missed their ship. They were being put on the ship that was coming the next day. We didn't see them anymore so I guess they got on.

The answer to your question is no, they do not make announcements, but I was in one of the bars in Cozumel one evening around ship leaving time and there was a table full of guys and I did here them ask them if they were from some ship and the guys said yeah, and they said well it is pulling out and the guys got up and ran.

So I guess occasionally they do tell customers.

We also had a young couple staying at our hotel that had fallen asleep on the beach and missed their ship. They were being put on the ship that was coming the next day. We didn't see them anymore so I guess they got on.

Thank you for the answer. As I said all along, I was just curious if they did anything.

I didn't really watch for pier runners, but I don't recall any announcements either, so I guess everyone made it on board.

We did have a 1am call for security that was made shipwide, cabins included. It was funny watching Dr. E dissemble during the Q&A when asked what it was about.

The bars at the pier in Cozumel usually close well before the ship leaves (for evening sails anyway) to eliminate this very problem (at least in my experience of having been to Cozumel many times on a cruise).

I was not saying that you weren't a responsible person.

I am saying as an adult anyone that misses the ship because they had a few too many and didn't make it back to the ship aren't being responsible.

Sorry if you were offended as that was ot my intention.:)

Bill

Ahhh, pier runners. LOVE EM! Have never been one, but I do know that most ships will blow their horns prior to leaving, and if you hear your ships horn blow.....you'd better haul bootie down the pier.

Nothing worse than a pier "stroller" when it's time to go!!!

FYI, we are those people who like to stay in port until the very last minute having a few drinks at the foot of the pier. Even at that, we are always aware of how long it will take us to get back on board and what time we need to start heading that way.

If people are in a bar (which I love to do), they still need to be responsible for themselves. Especially if you are at a pier with more than one ship. You need to know what time all-aboard is and be there on time.

The ONLY excuse for missing a ship should be illness/injury, or a non-ship sponsored excursion gone awry. I don't wish that on anyone, of course, but "didn't know of the time difference, didn't know what ship/pier was mine, didn't pay attention to the time" is just pure stupidity......drunk or not.

Edited by mrsfuzzmo

Maybe there was another ship at PM that day and the perplexed pedestrian was curious as to why the Triumph was docked where the other ship should have been.:eek::rolleyes:

Until we see the U-tube on this one, we're going to have to just hang on for the ride with our Jurassic sized tub of popcorn.;)

Per JH facebook page:

Name: Lee______

Message: John. Just off the triumph this am. We were in Cozumel on Saturday. It was clear that a passenger was missing some of his party. He looked very distressed on the pier. Do you know what happened? Did some passengers get left?

Name: Olina______

Message: Reading that passengers missed the Triumph and were left stranded on the pier I wanted to ask what happens to them if they do not have their passports. How do they get back to the ship or home. I am a worry wart so this kind of thing scares me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, two posts about the same thing and one good question. Firstly let me show you the quote from the Guest Services Manager on the Carnival Triumph who I just checked with about this., she says:

“ Good Afternoon,

No we did not leave anyone behind this Cozumel, all made it on board and we were not made aware of anyone that was worried of a friend that may have returned later than normal”

Secondly, I am not sure where this report came from but it is not true. The passport question is a good one because we do have the occasionally person who, sponsored by Carlos,his Frogs and his Three Friends fail through Tequila filled eyes, the big white thing pulling away from the pier and sailing into the sodding sunset.

Obviously we have a guest count based on our A Pass security system or the “ping “ machine on the gangway. If we are missing guests close to sailing time they are paged through the emergency system just in case their sail and sign card failed to “ping” and register when they put it in the slot. This is though a rare occurrence and if they are showing as not on board…………..it’s because , they are not on board.

If we are now a few minutes away from sailing a ship’s security guard accompanied by housekeeping will collect and sign for the safe master key, go into the guest cabin and collect the passport. The passports are then given to the ship’s agent. We have a company in every port who handles the ship’s affairs during the time it is docked there. The agent will then wait on the pier for the guests to come and then help the guests through the immigration process and assist with hotels and an airline ticket hopefully to the next port rather than home.

This is one of the reasons we do recommend passports and also as a Cruise Director I always advised guests to take ashore a copy of the Funtimes as it contains not only the time all guests must be on board …………….but the agents name and telephone number should you require assistance.

People do miss the ship now and then.

Watching people run down the pier at the last minute can be entertaining for guests but it causes all sorts of extra work for the crew.

So please……………..don’t be one of those people.

cheers

[quote name=bruadhin;46722089

It may not be Carnival's fault' date=' but you still don't want a bunch of people going home complaining about missing the ship because they were at a bar 200 feet away.[/quote]

CCL may be part of the problem by keeping on SHIPS time there might be a 1 or 2 hour difference people look at the bar clock and think they have time

CCL may be part of the problem by keeping on SHIPS time there might be a 1 or 2 hour difference people look at the bar clock and think they have time

They tell passengers repeatedly to stay on ships time and dont use your cell to see the time.

People who screw up by not knowing the time have nobody to blame but themselves

I'm not going to blame Carnival on that one. They repeatedly say to stay on ship's time.

Now, while in St. Kitts I asked a port security guard what the local time was, I was curious as to their time zone. He was wearing a nice watch, but instead he pulled out his cell phone to look. He never exactly said, but I wonder if he sets his watch to ship's time in order to help the tourists.

What people have said, ultimately it is each passengers' responsibility to get back on time. My question was simply do the bars and cruise terminal do anything to help the passengers. Short of requiring passengers do a ship excursion, Carnival does everything in its power to help passengers know when to be back on board.

Several years ago on the Spirit in Skagway, they were repeatedly calling 3 folks names. We had to be at least 45 minutes late leaving port waiting for them. Shortly after casting off, those 3 folks came running down the pier, arms waving. The ship was already 50 yards or so from the pier. And, lo and behold, the Captain returned the ship to the dock, extended the service gangway, and got the folks back on board.

I do remember a good round of applause from those manning the rail...