Friends of Bill W

KrystaGali

Does anyone have suggestions on how to help a (relatively new) Friend of Bill W have a successful cruise? I know there is one gathering a day on the schedule of events, but I'm looking for other suggestions. THANKS!

The Friends group and the support it can provide will vary with the group involved. My experience is that the leadership will be long sober, older folks who have been involved for many years and know the ropes. I would advise your friend to depend on them as needed, not on you.

Could be your friend will not need much support (our case was like this), but all Friends know this can be fragile and having support nearby is a good thing. You need to keep in mind that the membership of the group is confidential and you need to respect that both regarding your friend and the other attenders.

Given your friend is currently active with a local group, he/she should get some pre-guidance there. I have never known a local group that was not in touch with ways to get support. You might want to attend an open meeting before your cruise to get some insight into your role.

Could be your friend will not need much support (our case was like this), but all Friends know this can be fragile and having support nearby is a good thing. You need to keep in mind that the membership of the group is confidential and you need to respect that both regarding your friend and the other attenders.

Given your friend is currently active with a local group, he/she should get some pre-guidance there. I have never known a local group that was not in touch with ways to get support. You might want to attend an open meeting before your cruise to get some insight into your role.

Thank you for your insight. I am very aware of the confidentiality of the groups and wholeheartedly respect their anonymity. I am hopeful that my friend will seek pre-guidance from their regular, local and home groups.

My parents were just off another X cruise and asked about the programs and were informed that, unfortunately, the meetings are often cancelled on board as either no-one or only 1 person shows up.

Thank you for your insight. I am very aware of the confidentiality of the groups and wholeheartedly respect their anonymity. I am hopeful that my friend will seek pre-guidance from their regular, local and home groups.

My parents were just off another X cruise and asked about the programs and were informed that, unfortunately, the meetings are often cancelled on board as either no-one or only 1 person shows up.

a scheduled meeting each day in the daily program...usually at the same time (4:00 PM or 5:00 PM) and in the same location. It is the "luck of the draw" how many...if any show up! Help from their "home group" and their sponsor before sailing is a great idea...also taking along literature like "The Big Book". Good luck to your friend!! LuAnn

Members will be glad to give cabin phone number.This is part of the program of giving away that which was given.Go to the designated area every day.A good time for Big Book study even if you are the only one present.

• 2 weeks later...

It only takes two to have a meeting........

Your itinerary may also play a role. I find a lot less party crowds on Alaskan or Asian cruises...that may provide less triggers than expected. Your ports of call may be long enough to find a meeting in port as well. Keeping busy with positive activities and practicing a lot of self care will definitely help. Best of luck to all!

Alcoholics Anonymous

Could someone please explain to me why this "focus" group gets special attention and consideration?

"Diabetics" or "Heart attack survivors" for example dont get special treatment or don't they count?

Could someone please explain to me why this "focus" group gets special attention and consideration?

"Diabetics" or "Heart attack survivors" for example dont get special treatment or don't they count?

There are several groups that get consideration across the cruise lines.

If you wish to expand that list, explain your concern to guest services pre-cruise or while on board. Good luck with your endeavor.

Probably because they don't ask, AA concerns a medical condition which cruise lines for decades have accommodated. In all my years, never heard of a heart attack or diabetes group asking for a special meeting.

Practically any group can request a time/place for a special meeting. If you want to have a Diabetes Support group meeting, simply ask at Guest Relations, and they will post a notice on the "community bulletin board"

Whether or not the Friends of Bill W gets listed in the program is often dependent on how many other activities the cruise line has scheduled on a different day. The program is only so long, and they can only make the type so small. If they have too many activities, that is one that might get left off the program. But the Community Bulletin board, located near Guest Relations, will still have the information on it.

Also there you might find announcements for crafters, bridge players, mahjong players, Veterans's Get Togethers, and other interest groups.

Possibly because alcohol is one of the/if not the most plentiful resource on a cruise? And someone who struggled with alcoholism might need a little support while in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by all that alcohol. And I'm pretty sure that the cruise line can provide meals for Diabetics, Vegetarians, Kosher observers, etc. Would you consider those "Special Considerations"?

Stay classy.

+1 for this. Well said, lol.

Practically any group can request a time/place for a special meeting. If you want to have a Diabetes Support group meeting, simply ask at Guest Relations, and they will post a notice on the "community bulletin board"

Whether or not the Friends of Bill W gets listed in the program is often dependent on how many other activities the cruise line has scheduled on a different day. The program is only so long, and they can only make the type so small. If they have too many activities, that is one that might get left off the program. But the Community Bulletin board, located near Guest Relations, will still have the information on it.

Also there you might find announcements for crafters, bridge players, mahjong players, Veterans's Get Togethers, and other interest groups.

It also goes back to a few years ago when they eliminated all the groups from being in the dailies and they were then placed on the Community Bulletin Board. They said at the time that AA was for medical purposes and that other groups were just affinity groups. Most complaints came at the time from Friends of Dorothy.

It also goes back to a few years ago when they eliminated all the groups from being in the dailies and they were then placed on the Community Bulletin Board. They said at the time that AA was for medical purposes and that other groups were just affinity groups. Most complaints came at the time from Friends of Dorothy.[/QUOT}

Friends of Dorothy, the Bridge/Canasta group, etc. I see those as activities. If there is room in the dailies then great. If not, there is not a lot lost (and I am A Friend of Dorothy). Friends of Bill W is an entirely different matter. I also assume NA folks are welcome at the Friends of Bill W meetings on a ctuise.

It also goes back to a few years ago when they eliminated all the groups from being in the dailies and they were then placed on the Community Bulletin Board. They said at the time that AA was for medical purposes and that other groups were just affinity groups. Most complaints came at the time from Friends of Dorothy.

Friends of Dorothy?