Oasis "Cats" show

We are going on Oasis next month with our family of 8 adults and 6 children. I have heard that the Cats show is not very good and people were leaving at intermission. Also that it was 2 1/2 hours long - huh?

Can't imagine the kids (ages 8-13) sitting through that. We already have our reservations, but should we just skip it?

We are going on Oasis next month with our family of 8 adults and 6 children. I have heard that the Cats show is not very good and people were leaving at intermission. Also that it was 2 1/2 hours long - huh?

Can't imagine the kids (ages 8-13) sitting through that. We already have our reservations, but should we just skip it?

It's a full Broadway production so it is 2.5 hours long (first act is about one hour, 10 minutes, then a 15 minute intermission). That being said, it is an excellent production with great costumes, design, and the performances are Broadway caliber.

The second act is also worth coming back for. I suppose some kids would not want to sit for that long, but there was a 10 year old sitting there entranced for the entire show! Just remember that you're seeing a full Broadway production.

I would recommend seeing it! And sit close to the front if you can!

It has been said before, but Cats is a very eclectic show that has a number of smaller stories embedded in a generally simple story and can become somewhat hard to follow. It has also been suggested that reading TS Elliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" beforehand would help with the understanding and following the various storylines. And this is the root of most claims of it not being very good (eclectic, hard to follow story).

If you have seen the play before, you will likely enjoy it here. The music, performance, and (given the smaller stage) the sets are very representative of the broadway performance, and just as, if not more interactive (the smaller venue allows the performers more access to the audience). And IMO from this view, it is actually quite good.

If you have not seen it before, and would like to, this would be a good way to see it. However, make sure to stay through the entire performance. Most people who enjoy the play believe the second act is the stronger act, and leaving at intermission you are missing the best parts.

If you haven't seen it and are looking for random entertainment, you may or may not like it, and might really consider skipping it. Doing a little online research into the play and book beforehand will help in deciding if you should go.

If you haven't seen it and don't want to research or sit through 2-1/2 hours of eclectic performance, definitely skip it, as unless you leave in the middle of the first act, will consume over an hour of your time that will likely be better used elsewhere.

Note, BTW, that age doesn't seem to make a difference in enjoyment. I've seen kids enthralled with the performance, but adults board out of their minds (and vice-versa). You might also find out that some of your party might like it and others won't, so you should also consider that only those that would really like to see it go, and the rest find a different option.

It has been said before, but Cats is a very eclectic show that has a number of smaller stories embedded in a generally simple story and can become somewhat hard to follow. It has also been suggested that reading TS Elliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" beforehand would help with the understanding and following the various storylines. And this is the root of most claims of it not being very good (eclectic, hard to follow story).

If you have seen the play before, you will likely enjoy it here. The music, performance, and (given the smaller stage) the sets are very representative of the broadway performance, and just as, if not more interactive (the smaller venue allows the performers more access to the audience). And IMO from this view, it is actually quite good.

If you have not seen it before, and would like to, this would be a good way to see it. However, make sure to stay through the entire performance. Most people who enjoy the play believe the second act is the stronger act, and leaving at intermission you are missing the best parts.

If you haven't seen it and are looking for random entertainment, you may or may not like it, and might really consider skipping it. Doing a little online research into the play and book beforehand will help in deciding if you should go.

If you haven't seen it and don't want to research or sit through 2-1/2 hours of eclectic performance, definitely skip it, as unless you leave in the middle of the first act, will consume over an hour of your time that will likely be better used elsewhere.

Note, BTW, that age doesn't seem to make a difference in enjoyment. I've seen kids enthralled with the performance, but adults board out of their minds (and vice-versa). You might also find out that some of your party might like it and others won't, so you should also consider that only those that would really like to see it go, and the rest find a different option.

I agree with this opinion. I have seen Cats several times on Broadway and touring companies. I never read the TS Elliot stories, but I did listen to the music before going to the first show on Broadway a long long time ago. I think familiarity with the music would be the most helpful thing. That said the production was very very good, and I left the play with misty eyes.

It is a full production which is great if you like Broadway musicals in general and Cats in particular, but if that is not your thing, then yes, the first act is more of a general introduction to the show, and is not as good as the second act which has most of the drama and sadness.

jc

So you were on the Oasis of the Seas, did you enjoy Cats? No we skipped it, everyone said that it was too long and boring.

Would that be your answer when people asked what you did on the ship?

Read a synopsis of the play, go and enjoy it, judge for yourself if it is worth it. You have paid for it. This may be your one chance to see it, don't regret later that you didn't go, you don't have another chance to see Cats on the ship after you get off. No bragging rights except that you skipped it.

Go and enjoy, it is really good.

I just saw the show on Oasis and all of my group except me left at intermission. Many others did too. The bottom line is that if you leave at intermission you will probably think the show is not very good. I stayed to the end and thought it was a great show. The best parts were in the second half. The first half sets up the second. If I had left at intermission it would not have come together.

Edited by Charles4515

I just saw the show on Oasis and all of my group except me left at intermission. Many others did too. The bottom line is that if you leave at intermission you will probably think the show is not very good. I stayed to the end and thought it was a great show. The best parts were in the second half. The first half sets up the second. If I had left at intermission it would not have come together.

This.

I've not seen Cats on Oasis, but have seen it 3 or 4 times. The first act is somewhat slow, leading to the signature song (Memory) at intermission. The second act is much more active to the final conclusion.

I want to see Cats when we were on Oasis back in January but I did not know the story line and I heard that is helpful prior to watching. So I found a synopsis to read before the musical and found it made a difference.

Thanks, Bill, for posting the link to the summary of CATS! The first time I saw the stage play I absolutely loved it, unlike many in the group I saw it with. Loved it so much, I ordered the DVD Broadway version and enjoyed that too (more than once or twice). Now that I have read the synopsis I will have to watch it again, now knowing what most of the songs actually mean (is there an icon for something whizzing right past your head?).

Thanks again.

Ellen

I am the OP and still wondering if this show would interest my grandchildren ages 8-13.

With so many options on the Oasis, I would hate for them to be bored by a show, but wouldn't want them to miss it if the majority opinion is that they would enjoy it.

I am the OP and still wondering if this show would interest my grandchildren ages 8-13.

With so many options on the Oasis, I would hate for them to be bored by a show, but wouldn't want them to miss it if the majority opinion is that they would enjoy it.

I would read to them some of the story and show them a few videos of parts of it that you can probably find on Youtube.

If they are interested after that book it, if they get too antsy you can always leave early as many seem to be doing.

You've paid for it. Might as well try it. Other stuff onboard will still be there later. If you go in expecting it to be horrible it will probably live up to your expectations. Just don't be the people who lose interest, refuse to leave, and start talking or break out the phones/tablets.

I've never seen it and have never had any interest ... but I'd check it out because it's a heck of a lot "cheaper" to see it on Oasis than buy a theater ticket elsewhere.

We went to CATS on the Oasis TA and it was not well received by many people. I did not care for it and I believe that the children will be of the same mind. If you take them be prepared to have a few want to bail very quickly. The reasons for my statement,

*lots of singing that most children may/will not appreciate and, depending on their age, understand

*a very thin story line makes it difficult to follow

*the length of time is almost 2 1/2 hours for the entire show.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Have they ever been to a full length musical ever and if so, did they enjoy it?

If yes to both questions, might as well give it a shot. If they saw for instance, Wicked and didn't like it, Cats will be an even tougher sell.

Edited by sr4mjc

Have they ever been to a full length musical ever and if so, did they enjoy it?

If yes to both questions, might as well give it a shot. If they saw for instance, Wicked and didn't like it, Cats will be an even tougher sell.

Also consider that Cats ran on Broadway for 18 years. The third longest running show in Broadway history. A bad show is not going to run like that on Broadway. I can see though how a long Broadway show on a cruise ship with everything else that is going on might be too much to keep passengers attention. It is different than going to New York to take in a musical or play. Cats might not have been the best choice of musical to put on a cruise ship. So I advise that if people don't think they can sit through the whole show to skip it.

Growing up in Toronto in the 80's during the theatre comeback, Cats (and Phantom) was all people ever talked about, and advertising was everywhere. Plus playing in various musical ensembles, I have done the music over and over (and over) again. However I finally saw the actual production of Cats not too long ago at a smaller theatre. Probably much like Oasis in size. We enjoyed it very much and are looking forward to seeing it on Oasis.

It's a show that some will love and some will not. The lighting is very dim through the entire show, as the story takes place at night under moonlight. The backdrop remains the same, since the entire story takes place in the junkyard. The music is not always upbeat, but neither is the story. The costumes, dancing, singing, and overall talent is superior to many shows I've seen on cruise ships. I personally, enjoyed it….MY DH struggled to stay awake. You'll either love it, or hate it.

Yes, the audience thins out greatly by the second half. It is a much longer show than most people have experienced on cruises and that may be a factor.

Perhaps, you can look up some clips of the broadway play on Youtube to see if it sparks any interest in your grandchildren? Maybe pull up some of the music online? It's a free show, so there's nothing to lose by booking it. If they don't like it, you can simply leave and find other fun things to do around the ship. It's really hard to say whether you and your grandchildren will enjoy it.