Oasis "Cats" show

My DW and I saw this in San Francisco, and while we didn't see much of a story because we didn't read the synopsis, we loved the costumes and the music. Sit near the front to get the full effect of the play and to see the faces of the players. Leave the theater humming "Memories". Kids may be fascinated by the costumes and music also.

Try, you might be giving raise to a lifelong love of musical theater.

As a talent professional and someone who grew up in musical theater, I get that Cats is indeed not for everyone. As much as I enjoy its beauty and power, I did think it an odd choice for a cruise. Kind of makes me sad to hear people diss it and sad for the performers that so many people leave. But I think it's just not a good fit for a cruise environment. People want upbeat and fun - not thought provoking and melancholy! I love the show but I won't see it on my cruise - other than I might peer in and stand at the back every once in awhile without disturbing anyone!

OP - ask yourself this. Are your g-kids interested in musicals, especially song and dance. Cats is a pretty "deep" show and not really one geared for kids. However, if they love musicals and have been exposed to theater, they would probably enjoy it. It's a very visual show with some amazing dancing. For every kid that would sit there entranced, there's another one that would be bored out of their minds! Heck - same thing applies to adults.

It has been said before, but Cats is a very eclectic show that has a number of smaller stories embedded in a generally simple story and can become somewhat hard to follow. It has also been suggested that reading TS Elliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats" beforehand would help with the understanding and following the various storylines. And this is the root of most claims of it not being very good (eclectic, hard to follow story).

No idea what show you are talking about! I've seen it. There is hardly a story to follow, never mind it being hard to follow. There is what amounts to a terrible overall story, and then a pile of "I'm a cat and this is what I do as a cat" songs, which have little relevance to anything. Only song that was any good is Memories, and I would say that is because it is the only song that actually does have a story and feeling to it. Loved that song and performance, but the rest of it was an irrelevant mess of nothingness. Wish I had been on the boat seeing it, to be honest, cause I could have left and done something else! The other half hated it as well, for the same reasons, which she is gutted about because she had been waiting years to see it. At least Wicked (the other half of her birthday present) was brilliant.

Read the poems first to understand the personalities of the cats, you'll appreciate the show more that way; I did not and I was a bit bored. I don't recommend bringing fidgety youngsters, but my 12 and 15 year old boys seemed to enjoy it. If you like Broadway, you'll like the show. For me, been there, done that. Have fun!

Read the poems first to understand the personalities of the cats, you'll appreciate the show more that way; I did not and I was a bit bored. I don't recommend bringing fidgety youngsters, but my 12 and 15 year old boys seemed to enjoy it. If you like Broadway, you'll like the show. For me, been there, done that. Have fun!

I love Broadway....hated Cats!

Bring back HAIRSPRAY

Have they ever been to a full length musical ever and if so, did they enjoy it?

If yes to both questions, might as well give it a shot. If they saw for instance, Wicked and didn't like it, Cats will be an even tougher sell.

Here is your answer. If your kids have never sat through a full musical - either in person or on dvd - they are not going to want to do this on vacation.

But if musicals (and cats in particular) are to their interest, then they will enjoy it.

I take my kids to see pretty much every major musical that comes to Toronto. But they haven't seen cats. My daughter and i will go, I'm sure my hubby and son won't be interested. {Wicked and Wizard of Oz were both big hits with our family}

I love Broadway....hated Cats!

Bring back HAIRSPRAY

Agree!!!! Well sort of. We've seen Hairspray in Toronto and seen it on Oasis. It would be nice to see a new musical, but I'd rather see Hairspray again than Cats.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

Have they ever been to a full length musical ever and if so, did they enjoy it?

If yes to both questions, might as well give it a shot. If they saw for instance, Wicked and didn't like it, Cats will be an even tougher sell.

I agree with this statement. Only you know your kids. Have they seen broadway shows before? Did they enjoy them? Then go.

Personally, I skipped Cats on the Oasis. Family members that I was with saw it on Broadway some years ago and didn't like it then, and weren't going to like it now. It also wasn't of interest to me. I did feel bad for the performers though... It was referenced once or twice in the comedy show. Also, talking to one of the ships officers, she really did try to be nice about it, but basically said that it is a tough show to watch, especially if you don't have any idea about the storyline.

I am a big fan of cats, but yea... It is 'hit or miss'. In my own opinion if the kids you are bringing with you have trouble sitting through a movie in a movie theater then don't bring them to see a musical. If the kinds your are bringing don't like musicals (even if they only musicals they have been exposed to are Disney) then they probably, also, won't like this. I loved musicals when I was a kid, and my parents took me to all sorts of them. By the time they had started doing that, though, we'd watched all sorts of musicals on TV, and my parents knew I'd be impressed with live theater. The thing is that most musicals aren't geared toward children, and Cats is not the least among those. If you don't like Andrew Lloyd Weber this also definitely won't be for you.

• 7 months later...

I am booked on Oasis and actually looking at switching to Allure because Mamma Mia is so much MORE fun than Cats ! Sorry, the Cats may be quality show, but on vacation i want a more light and fun theater experience.

And i still think "Sister Act" should replace Cats

I want to see Cats when we were on Oasis back in January but I did not know the story line and I heard that is helpful prior to watching. So I found a synopsis to read before the musical and found it made a difference. I have included it here as a pdf attachment.

What he posted

I saw Cats on Oasis last year and loved it. The characters were superb and there is a storyline that is delicate but obvious if you are truly paying attention. The costumes and movements of the cats was unbelievably well done. Children are all different. I believe a child that likes musicals and dancing and CATS would love it and those who do not enjoy that kind of entertainment would probably be bored. So I guess some of your party would enjoy it and some not. Does everyone have to do the same thing?

Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead anyway, I'll add since my post last year that we did see it. Best advice I could give is the second act is much better than the first. It has more catchy tunes and connection with the story. So don't leave during the break.

Since this thread has been resurrected from the dead anyway, I'll add since my post last year that we did see it. Best advice I could give is the second act is much better than the first. It has more catchy tunes and connection with the story. So don't leave during the break.

Since we went on embarkation day we were already tired . We couldn't make it to the intermission as both my wife and i feel asleep.

Maybe if we weren't tired we would have stayed the whole show.

We are on Allure this year and Mama Mia is on that ship.

I am going to make sure we don't book embarkation day again.:eek:

Bill

I am looking forward to Cats! I have seen it a few times. I also took my kids to see Cats years ago when it was touring.

Boy 14, Boy 11, Girl 8. All 3 loved it. They had already seen the video of the show many times and knew all the songs. They watched the Cats video until they wore it out. I suggest you read the story and you will know exactly what is going on. The music is fantastic... Give it a chance.

Since replying to old threads is a sin just above murder, I checked to make sure others had posted. I've read several posts on the matter and I can't wait to include it on my review when I get back. You only have about 115 days to wait! My wife is anxiously awaiting this show. I can probably find something to occupy my mind through the first intermission.

I love Broadway shows, but Cats left me cold. I loved the sets, costumes and makeup but there wasn't enough plot. Now I'm ready to see it again. Armed with the plot to make it more interesting.

I think the costumes would fascinate children, but 2 1/2 hours is a long time for kids to sit.

Most Broadway musicals run at about 2 1/2hrs with intermission. CATS is the full length production, while Chicago and Hairspray were edited 90ish minute versions. I think the issue here is that many typical cruise ship passengers are not regular theatre goes and sitting through a 2 1/2hr show on vacation is not of interest to many. Heck even the typical 45-60 minute production shows featured on most ships fail to hold peoples attention. I think it's less about the show itself and more about the time invested and the typical attention span of most people.