Would you stay an extra day to save $600?

xcell

My cruise is sat to sat but the flights home is quite high. If I stay an extra day, I could save $600 for my family of 4, minus the hotel, cab rides to and from the port-hotel-airport and meals.

What's to do in fort lauderdale or miami for day??

My cruise is sat to sat but the flights home is quite high. If I stay an extra day, I could save $600 for my family of 4, minus the hotel, cab rides to and from the port-hotel-airport and meals.

You are kidding right???

Coming from Canada, I always have to fly into Fort Lauderdale or Miami for my cruises. Last November this is exactly what I did. I arrived back into Port Everglades on a Sunday, and Sunday flights back to Canada were both very expensive (300.00 more than Monday) plus the flight times were late in the day, would have meant hanging around all day in the airport, and paying all that extra, so I booked a hotel, stayed an extra day, did some sightseeing, had a nice meal, flew home on Monday, much cheaper flight fare, but also at a decent flight time, both departing and arriving home. Did I save much? in the long run, no, maybe 100.00 bucks, but I had an extra day vacation, nice hotel, nice meal, plus a more agreeable flight and flight time.

To do in Fort lauderdale..is the beach of course, las olas blvd, water taxi, everglades park if you are interested in that. Miami, has South Beach, Brickell area, Bayside, hop on hop off bus tour among many other tours, and much more, also cheaper hotels near Miami airport, and you can arrange tours from most of those hotels.

I would just add up what it would cost for an extra day (hotel, meals, tours, car rental etc) vs, flying home on the day before at a higher airline fare. Also if you need to take an extra day off to stay one more day...all that, then make a decision. I love Florida, and always find something to do there, even if it is just hanging around the hotel pool, and dinner out that night.

Seems like a no brainer to me - you get an extra day of vacation for less than $600 (much, much less if it is low season). There is plenty to do in Fort Lauderdale, just check out these websites:

Edited by capriccio

I extended my flight home until Monday following my next cruise (returns on Saturday). Even staying two night in Miami at the InterContinental, I'm saving about $200! And what's to do?! Heck, I'll be happy to just sit by the pool!;)

I don't know the ages of your kids, but an airboat tour through the Everglades or Jungle Island in Miami. I'm pretty sure there has to be a zoo there as well! Hang tight though!! I'm sure some of the local CCers will give you some great ideas!!

PS...the kids would probably love to go to South Beach and hang out on the beaches, too!!

We have also been in this dilemma before. It's a no brainer. Stay the extra day and even if you end up spending $600.00 (what it would have cost you to fly home on a Sunday) I'd much rather spend it somewhere in Florida relaxing for the extra day and not fighting the crowds and wasted time at the airport on the Sunday. Life is short, stay in Florida l o n g e r !:D

Rent a car and you can stay wherever and avoid the higher cost areas. Plus you can go and do everything you want. A little research will help you a ton. You don't have to spend a ton on tours.

Where are you catching your flight? Which port do you disembark?

Edited by eandj

ship ports in miami but flights better in fort lauderdale.

direct flights back to canada are still pricey but the 1 stop over ones are decent ($250 one way).

Since it's a sunday, I think I'll stay and enjoy an extra day.