Worth Paying to Print Luggage Tags in Color?

Always print in color. I am on the same $19 Color ribbion in my printer for the last 3 years. Seems like I only use my printer to print my luggage tags or cruise stuff .

But honestly it probably doesn't matter

I have a colour printer, so I print them in colour.

With a lot of modern printers it's cheaper to print in colour than it is to print in black & white - with black cartridges (in a four colour CYMK printer) costing the same as colour ones. Spread the load over the four cartridges.

(TBH I don't spend time dwelling on that because colour pages cost like 5 pence - so who cares)

Obviously, you should print how ever you can, b&w or color.

But think about it: the tags wouldn't be color-coded without a reason. It's just as those paper files in your doctor's office have color-coded edges. It's so they can be more quickly put where they belong, and misfiles will instantly stand out by breaking the color pattern.

(I used to work with color-coded systems. :))

The porters are handling thousands of bags, and the work goes faster grouping by color because it takes no thought. Otherwise, they have to stop and read a tag and think for a nanosecond.

All those nanoseconds add up, and any misplaced bags don't stand out. I always print my tags in color because I can. If you have the capability, why be a bottleneck in the process?

But think about it: the tags wouldn't be color-coded without a reason. It's just as those paper files in your doctor's office have color-coded edges. It's so they can be more quickly put where they belong, and misfiles will instantly stand out by breaking the color pattern.

The porters are handling thousands of bags, and the work goes faster grouping by color because it takes no thought. Otherwise, they have to stop and read a tag and think for a nanosecond.

All those nanoseconds add up, and any misplaced bags don't stand out. I always print my tags in color because I can. If you have the capability, why be a bottleneck in the process?

If they were essential, wouldn't the tags the porters have be color coded? Since it's been reported that the tags the porters have are NOT color coded, it seems that the color is not as necessary as you'd like to believe.

If color was really that important and lack of color was costing RCI money due to inefficiencies, then they'd still be providing colored luggage tags to guests and they'd be providing colored luggage tags to porters.

I haven't owned a color printer since my last inkjet died 15 years ago. I realized I didn't actually need color enough to warrant it. The black laser printer has much better TCO.

Black and white all the way!

I'm not going to waste MY money on color ink for absolutely no reason.

Same with the SetSail Pass.

:)

Hi Merion mom how are you dixiesue here remember the cruise we was on together

If color was really that important and lack of color was costing RCI money due to inefficiencies, then they'd still be providing colored luggage tags to guests and they'd be providing colored luggage tags to porters.

I haven't owned a color printer since my last inkjet died 15 years ago. I realized I didn't actually need color enough to warrant it. The black laser printer has much better TCO.

Not really. All it takes is the money saved by emailing tags > money lost due to inefficiencies.

Giving colored luggage tags to porters would just slow things down because they need to make sure they put the correct ones on.

I don't think the colored tags are necessary but to say they aren't helpful is incorrect, IMO.

I didn't say they weren't helpful. Just that in the grand scheme of things, the need for color isn't that high on the cost/benefit analysis.

So a handful of people printing in color doesn't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

The real cost of RCI printing and mailing Cruise Docs and luggage tags isn't $35/reservation. They set the price that high to limit, and more or less eliminate, demand, as the price discourages people from actually following through with ordering printed copies.

I LOVE to fuss over the cruise details. I scan the tags then use Publisher to add our name. I print them in color and will either use the luggage tag holders or laminate them.

WHY? Because I enjoy doing it! It cost pennies to do and takes very little time. Even if that was not the case, it wouldn't matter because I ENJOY DOING IT! For me it's part of the pre-cruise process.

Overkill? Nope - Just how I roll. :D

1753885789_Luggagetag.jpg.876d7808cc8c8b2ee53af85baea306a6.jpg

After 20 plus cruises we never bother with luggage tags.

We get to the port (and have our cabin number handy) and fill out the tags prior to boarding the ship. That is if we are not simply going carry on. It takes all of 30 seconds. No need to spend money or make a project out of it.

I agree with you!:D The porters quickly slap a tag with cabin number on it and we always seem to have our luggage unpacked before muster drill.

Sherri:)

I have a colour printer, so I print them in colour.

With a lot of modern printers it's cheaper to print in colour than it is to print in black & white - with black cartridges (in a four colour CYMK printer) costing the same as colour ones. Spread the load over the four cartridges.

(TBH I don't spend time dwelling on that because colour pages cost like 5 pence - so who cares)

COLOUR here as Well

Royal discontinued free mailed luggage tags for all guests a few years ago. The only guests that can get free mailed luggage tags are in Grand Suites or better, and Pinnacle Club C&A level.

We are not normally is that high of a room but we are our June cruise. We requested tags and never received them. There is a statement on our online checkin page that says we exceeded our number so they aren't sending them. I guess I could have called but it's not worth the effort with the less this press that to get to someone live with RC.

So color it is because i print them on our laser printer and I don't know what they cost but we print a ton and rarely replace the cartridges so it can't be too much.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I was always a bit concerned about the printed paper tags ripping off. (I never thought about b/w or color, as b/w seemed to work to get them to the cabin). However, I bought something like these to keep tags from ripping. http://www.amazon.com/Cruisetags-Cruise-Ship-Luggage-5-Pack/dp/B00T5P48UO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1433381909&sr=8-7&keywords=cruise+luggage+tag+holder+royal+caribbean

I am sure clear packing tape would work too over the paper, but these are nice and reuseable for cruises. Plus, if you fly in, it's easy to put these on post-flight, pre-cruise without tape, staples, etc.