Enclosed Balcony Assistance on the Pearl

GrumpyGoose

I recently posted here asking questions about an upsell offer by Norwegian. My wife and I decided to take advantage of it and were placed in cabin 9514. Of course, when booking I was not notified it was an "enclosed balcony" and didn't realize this until I looked at the updated confirmation email sent.

Upon researching these balconies both on the pearl and other Norwegian ships, I've discovered there seem to be two types - a glass underneath the railing or a metal bulkhead type thing underneath the railing which obstructs your view. Clearly neither of those is what I signed up for, but I would make less of a fuss if it's at least glass underneath which doesn't obstruct a view of the sea.

I would like assistance in determining which "enclosed balcony" I have, and possibly determine other alternatives I can ask for tomorrow when calling. In the past, it looks like reps were not well versed in what this was or couldn't even see the type of room, perhaps that's different these days. I was told today only aft and fore ship balconies are available, with mid ships having been taken. Perhaps there are some balconies aft of 9514 (as I understand it this room is in the front of the ship) which are available.

The rep I spoke with this morning wasn't especially helpful, perhaps I'll luck out tomorrow, although now that I've already upgraded I suppose there's no real incentive to help out. Either way, I'll call and see what they can do. Hopefully I'll be armed with a little more knowledge.

Edited by GrumpyGoose

All of the balconies in that area of deck 9 have glass in the lower half. We have had one of those before and it really was not bad at all. We had the forward facing Haven suite but the side balcony is the same configuration. We didn't feel that it impeded the sight line at all.

*In fact, I don't think any of the balconies on the Pearl have the solid steel railings so no worries there.

Edited by tarps14

I found this picture of the Pearl. Unsure what side of the Pearl it is, but I'm assuming both sides are the same.

Looking at the Pearl deck plan, 9514 is the 5th room from the Haven Suite w/ balcony. Looks like one side is "enclosed", one side is not, and it does have the glass area like the rest of them.

I've attached a picture pointing to what I think is my room.

All of the balconies in that area of deck 9 have glass in the lower half. We have had one of those before and it really was not bad at all. We had the forward facing Haven suite but the side balcony is the same configuration. We didn't feel that it impeded the sight line at all.

*In fact, I don't think any of the balconies on the Pearl have the solid steel railings so no worries there.

I appreciate your words of encouragement. Looking at the picture I posted though, it looks like there are some cabins that do have the solid steel railing , unless I'm looking at the wrong part entirely.

NCL's deck plan for the pearl stated balconies are on 8, 9, and 10 so I'm looking at the middle deck. Cabins more forward of where I am look to be impeded with the steel railing.

1063378120_IMG_3625(1).jpg.6526979b6e57685f817c42a6e744e908.jpg

1515_NCL_NorwegianPearl_1000.jpg.a915c519d8de11e0cab7f95c98da0506.jpg

Edited by GrumpyGoose

ANY balcony is better than none....you will have a view, no matter what the railing is made of....you are worrying overly much about nothing.

You are absolutely right! Just trying to make sure I get the best value for my money.

You have marked deck 10. Go down a deck and forward one balcony. You will have the first open balcony in that long line of open balconies that stretches the length of the ship. Yay!! No worries at all!

*Another way to figure it is deck 11 is the bridge deck. Count down from there.

Edited by tarps14

OP: we were recently on the Gem, sister ship of the Pearl. I cropped this photo for you of the starboard side (your port side will be the mirror image) so that you'd have a good sense of what the various balconies look like. (For purposes of orientation: Deck 8 is the lowest deck with cabins shown here, the one with all the enclosed balconies.) If folks are correct that on Deck 9 the first two of the six enclosed balconies are the Owners Suite, then that would make 9014/9514 the first non-enclosed balcony (just a bit of rounded enclosure, as you can see).

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your cruise!

Gem%20starboard_zpsufsuquvf.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

You have marked deck 10. Go down a deck and forward one balcony. You will have the first open balcony in that long line of open balconies that stretches the length of the ship. Yay!! No worries at all!

*Another way to figure it is deck 11 is the bridge deck. Count down from there.

Thank you for correcting my marking. It was a first try and based on incorrect information. I mistakenly thought only decks 8, 9, and 10 had balconies. Looks like 11 has some as well. Everything makes more sense now. I really appreciate the reassurance and feel much better.

OP: we were recently on the Gem, sister ship of the Pearl. I cropped this photo for you of the starboard side (your port side will be the mirror image) so that you'd have a good sense of what the various balconies look like. (For purposes of orientation: Deck 8 is the lowest deck with cabins shown here, the one with all the enclosed balconies.) If folks are correct that on Deck 9 the first two of the six enclosed balconies are the Owners Suite, then that would make 9014/9514 the first non-enclosed balcony (just a bit of rounded enclosure, as you can see).

Hope this is helpful. Enjoy your cruise!

Gem%20starboard_zpsufsuquvf.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

This is an awesome picture that really helped to explain it. I appreciate it. I've done a few more searches and have found at least two more posts indicating the owners suite occupies the first two balconies I see, so that information seems correct. And if it is, then you're right and we're exactly where I would want to be.

I cannot thank everyone enough. When starting this night I felt some anxiety at having been placed in a "bad" room, but I feel a little more confident in this choice now.

I'll be sure to take some pictures from the inside of the ship and try to get some from the outside to show everyone when I return. I'm sure this issue will arise again.

I cannot thank everyone enough. When starting this night I felt some anxiety at having been placed in a "bad" room, but I feel a little more confident in this choice now.

I'll be sure to take some pictures from the inside of the ship and try to get some from the outside to show everyone when I return. I'm sure this issue will arise again.

Happy to have been able to help. The topic comes up on here periodically (see the thread linked below, for example.). It's unfortunate that NCL's deck plans don't show which balconies are enclosed (or even that some are). Plus, as I discovered several years ago, the PCCs don't even have that info (at least they didn't then). Mine went to great lengths to find out for me.

I hope you have a great trip!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1900898&highlight=10514

Plus, as I discovered several years ago, the PCCs don't even have that info (at least they didn't then). Mine went to great lengths to find out for me.

While I understand the spirit of what you're saying, let's remember that all anyone really has to do is look at a deck plan and count cabins then find a decent pic of the ship and count the windows... :cool: While a new cruiser might not realize this (and that's perfectly okay), I'd hope a PCC could put it together.

Edited by triptolemus

While I understand the spirit of what you're saying, let's remember that all anyone really has to do is look at a deck plan and count cabins then find a decent pic of the ship and count the windows... :cool: While a new cruiser might not realize this (and that's perfectly okay), I'd hope a PCC could put it together.

You are assuming too much in terms of the info and training that NCL gives the PCCs. My PCC worked out of NCL's landlocked office in Arizona. He'd never seen nor been on one of NCL's ships. THE ONLY info he had was the deck plan, which does not even reveal the existence of the enclosed balconies let alone where they are. He had no photos of the outside of the ship, let alone any info telling him how many side balconies were taken up by the Owners Suites (and I certainly had no idea of that either). Those informational deficiencies were NCL's fault, not that of the PCCs.

My PCC was virtually certain that the cabin we were considering (10514 on the Jewel) had a totally open balcony, but had nothing from NCL to verify this. So he then emailed someone on the Jewel and had them go up to the cabin and confirm the open balcony. That was great service! We booked it, and I later sent him an exterior photo as I'd promised. (I've posted it here on CC as well in threads where people are asking about which balconies are enclosed.)

I realize experienced cruisers may think it's so simple to figure out certain things, but it's not when you are missing critical information. NCL could and should do a much better job than it does in terms of making important information like this readily available.

Thank you for posting. It made me get on the phone and call NCL. The 'enclosed balconies' are built into the bulkhead of the ship. That's why there is the metal around them.

I was able to call and upgrade from my deck 8 balcony to a deck 11 mini-suite for $20. Best $20 ever!

Thank you for correcting my marking. It was a first try and based on incorrect information. I mistakenly thought only decks 8, 9, and 10 had balconies. Looks like 11 has some as well. Everything makes more sense now. I really appreciate the reassurance and feel much better.

This is an awesome picture that really helped to explain it. I appreciate it. I've done a few more searches and have found at least two more posts indicating the owners suite occupies the first two balconies I see, so that information seems correct. And if it is, then you're right and we're exactly where I would want to be.

Your cabin is the 8th one back. It appears to be a regular balcony.

Your cabin is the 8th one back. It appears to be a regular balcony.

I know you like to chime in with implied authoirty but you got this one wrong. 9514 is NOT the "eighth" back. Once in in a while, it would be great if you'd just admit you made a mistake. But you won't...

9514-7th-back.jpg

Counting! We did that back in the Sesame Street days... :rolleyes:

Here, count.

9514-again2.jpg

Seven... seven cabin balconies... ha ha ha!

count7.jpeg

Edited by triptolemus