No Bags Policy at Pearl Harbor

cruise.mode

Perhaps the ladies can help me on this one ---

How did you handle the "no bags" policy at Pearl Harbor? I don't typically carry around a ton of stuff but will obviously need ID, some $$, camera, cell phone.

Any problems getting a locker? Not a fan of cargo pants myself, but maybe it's time to invest?

Are these restrictions in place just at the Arizona Memorial, or also at Missouri, Bowfin, and Aviation Museum?

check out website for pearl harbor...no bags allowed includes camera bags and purses...cameras are allowed. there are lockers but if busy you may not get one.....you go through security so stuff in your pockets that is not a weapon should be ok...notice I say should as all security is now theater not for real

When we went to Pearl Harbor, my camera was over my neck, mobile phone was in my pocket and instead of carrying a pocketbook that would qualify as carry-on luggage, I transferred needed items from my folio wallet to a smaller wallet - the size of my palm. It fit into another pocket in my dockers. Driver's license, one credit card, a few dollars.......this worked out fine for the entire day we spent at Pearl Harbor. I wasn't about to hunt down a locker.

Given the dire warnings about tourist's cars being broken into, I kept my usual collection of credit cards, excess cash, etc. in the hotel safe instead of the car's trunk. We did 6 nights pre-cruise on Oahu.

Darcy

You can rent a small locker for like, three dollars for the whole day. They aren't hard to find, just off to the right before you go through the main entrance, and just past some restrooms. They aren't huge, but will fit your purse. Or you can lock it in the trunk if you have a rental car; that's what I did. Just do it before you leave your hotel so no one sees you put anything in there.

Make sure you have your photo id with you!:)

Edited by greatlakesgirl

Security Measures

Strict security measures prohibit purses, handbags, fanny packs, backpacks, camera bags, diaper bags, luggage and/or other items that offer concealment. Visitors may bring cameras, cell phones, and wallets, although since no bags are allowed, you are encouraged to pack lightly.

A storage facility operated by the USS Bowfin Submarine Museum & Park is available in the immediate area of the entrance to the Pearl Harbor Visitor Center. There is a nominal storage fee of $3 per bag. The storage facility is in operation daily 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Visitors may use the same bag storage and parking stall for visits to all Pearl Harbor Historic Sites.

These security measures are strictly enforced at all visitor destinations on Pearl Harbor. Although federal law enforcement officers and security bike patrols monitor the parking lots, please do not leave items of value in your car.

http://www.nps.gov/valr/planyourvisit/index.htm

Edited by Astro Flyer

When we went to Pearl Harbor, my camera was over my neck, mobile phone was in my pocket and instead of carrying a pocketbook that would qualify as carry-on luggage, I transferred needed items from my folio wallet to a smaller wallet - the size of my palm. It fit into another pocket in my dockers. Driver's license, one credit card, a few dollars.......this worked out fine for the entire day we spent at Pearl Harbor. I wasn't about to hunt down a locker.

Thanks to all of you for the info and advice. Since we won't have a rental car, it sounds like we will follow this lead!

The chances of someone breaking into your car in the busy Pearl Harbor parking lot is pretty slim, unless you leave something of value right out in the open. You have a much better chance of your car being broken into at one of the more remote beaches. That said, this couple isn't renting a vehicle so this information doesn't apply to them. :)

The chances of someone breaking into your car in the busy Pearl Harbor parking lot is pretty slim, unless you leave something of value right out in the open. You have a much better chance of your car being broken into at one of the more remote beaches. That said, this couple isn't renting a vehicle so this information doesn't apply to them. :)

I agree & if someone has items of value then put them in the trunk long before arriving at any parking lot & then do not go into the trunk in the parking lot.

There is a popular spot on the north end of Maui to view a blowhole but parking is not within sight of it. The gravel parking lot is directly next to the road but quite often there is broken window glass on the ground. Unfortunately naïve tourists leave items of value in plain sight in their car. Once I saw panicked foreign tourists screaming after returning to find their rental car window smashed. Gone was their camera bag, wallets and passports...a terrible situation but that can happen anywhere in the world particularly where tourists gather.

I've never had a car (rental or personal) broken into by not leaving valuable items in plain sight. Obviously a hotel safe would be best but that isn't always a possibility.

As you posted this does not apply to the OP but since the subject was brought up like you I decided to comment. Here in Hawaii rental cars are NOT routinely broken into unless the passengers foolishly leave valuable items in plain sight.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Perhaps the ladies can help me on this one ---

How did you handle the "no bags" policy at Pearl Harbor? I don't typically carry around a ton of stuff but will obviously need ID, some $$, camera, cell phone.

Any problems getting a locker? Not a fan of cargo pants myself, but maybe it's time to invest?

Are these restrictions in place just at the Arizona Memorial, or also at Missouri, Bowfin, and Aviation Museum?

I was allowed to have my camera, a point & shoot, in a case that clipped onto the belt loops on my capris. Cell phone, tissues, ID & money went in the pockets. I was with a tour group and we were told we could put our stuff in a plastic shopping bag, the kind you get at the grocery store or Walmart. There were a lot of people using the plastic bag that came from the ABC stores and some ladies had a small cross body purse, very small.

Edited by Lorey2007

I left my purse with the lockers folks at Pearl Harbor and had some stuff in our trunk in the parking lot right out front. As mentioned, the stuff in our trunk was in place when we pulled in. I took out my CC, DL and some $$ in the car before leaving the rest at the lockers. Everything was in my purse when I picked it up just as I left it.

I agree that someone would have to be brazen to break into a car that is parked right in the parking lot in front of the Visitors's Center. There are military security personnel right at the turnstiles within full view. Absolutely agree that one should always use good judgement and never, ever leave valuables in sight in their car. And if you had to park further away, use more good judgement in how you handle your belongings.

We have spent a lot of time in Hawaii, and use pretty much the same rules for safety of our belongings we would anywhere. We have never, ever had any problems.

Btw, phones can ONLY be taken to the USS Arizona Memorial if they are turned silent and ONLY used as a camera. Cell phone use otherwise is strictly forbidden and understandably so. Visiting the memorial was profoundly sobering, and all on our tour boat showed great respect accordingly.