Elbe water levels

rundent

I'm to start an Elbe cruise at the end of this coming week and am concerned that the water levels are continuing in a downward trend. Does anyone know if the Viking ships [the new ones] are being affected? Or are soon to be. I've monitored sites that show the water levels but that doesn't really explain what it means for our navigation.

Of course asking Viking is a waste of time.......it's doubtful that the agents are informed, and if they are they may not be forthcoming.

There are some afternoon showers possible but even if they materialize do they help much?

I assume you have followed Franski's posts and seen that last week she floated most of the way downstream to Berlin.

My understanding is that there are no locks to regulate the flow downstream of the Czech/German border and Czech Republic controls the locks at the border and upstream. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Early July 2014, the Elbe was close to the top of its banks in Czech Republic upstream from the border lock but, on the German side, just below the loch, people were walking dry shod in the river bed.

Like you I was monitoring the river level sites, June was unusually hot and dry, so we were not surprised when the "no cruise" was announced. We moored three days in Dresden, bussed to the sister ship for two nights in Wittenburg, then cruised to Magdeburg for Berlin. If one must moor, the centre of Dresden is an outstanding mooring.

Viking were very inflexible, running the same excursion program but with much longer bus trips, program and program time changes announced only the evening before. Apart from one additional excursion for those who refused to bus back to Terezin (for a very short time at the prison and a long time on the bus and in the town's tourist centre) the company did nothing to help us enjoy our extra time in Dresden. Some information about Dresden appeared the day before we left. By then it was too late to make bookings. Franski was smart to book her excursions independently and ahead of the cruise.

I hope you have rain in the catchment and a full river.

Edited by HDS

The one meter depth is good news but does conflict with what the agent at Viking told me ...... 5 feet. I doubt the knowledge of the agent.

I have been following Fanski's reports with eager attention. She writes well and does interesting things.

On the positive side, I read that there is rain in the near future so might float my boat.

Last spring I was on the lower Danube with Uniworld and was afraid of the monumental floods but wasn't affected.

Thanks for your interest

The weather forecast for Dresden is for slightly lower temperatures with a bit of rain:

http://www.wetteronline.de/wettertrend/dresden

Levels are not falling generally speaking in the East of Germany much right now and rain is due, but the river levels are lower than average.

Even more difficult to predict what will be in four days than it always is, I am afraid.

If you are getting worried why not phone the help line just before you leave:

http://www.vikingrivercruises.com/my-trip/about-my-cruise/current-sailings.html

Have a great time in Germany.

notamermaid

My understanding is that the only lock on the Elbe is close to Melnick (Prague end of the trip) - which is why we had to be bused to Dechin the first day (ie: above the lock).

We were kept apprised of the changes as they happened. We were told the day before we boarded the Fontane that we would not be boarding in Melnick. Originally they said we would board in Bad Shandau - but made arrangements for Dechin which (apparently) was better for the planned excursions.

On the day of the Terezin tour, there was the option of Terezin (which DH & I did), a visit to Literomice - or another slightly closer option. Sorry - can't remember now what it was - but it was set up for people who didn't want to travel to Literomice (since we were supposed to be docked there, and weren't).

I found that our cruise was quite flexible - but, this may be attributed to the organization of Daniel - our cruise director. I have often said that the CD can make or break your experience - and you have no control over who that is.

The forecast called for rain before we left - but we had very little along the way. It was cooler - temperature wise - than expected - but the rain held off.

Hopefully the water levels will be high enough and you will be able to cruise.

Fran

I´m sorry to say but right now it doesn´t look good. The Dresden steamboats have announced that they have to quit service by today due to the low water. There will be more information in the afternoon. If the steamboats can´t run the river cruise ship can´t run either. The steamboats draw less water than any of the river cruise ships.

steamboats

Hello steamboats,

Thank you for the info. I have just read the news report online (in German). That looks bleak.

I was a little hopeful when I posted yesterday as the news reports from the evening before had not reported trouble yet, then.

Franski,

good to hear the CD has done a great job of keeping things running as smoothly as possible.

notamermaid

Here´s a detailed river level for Dresden.

According to the local newspaper the river level was down to 69 cm when the steamboats stopped their service. The regular river level by this time of the year is 2 m.

Currently the river is rising a bit.

steamboats

Edited by steamboats