AA/US Airways/BA Sale to Europe

MSMcDuffy

Hi,

A couple days ago I booked a Princess Flex Fare (totally refundable up to 45 days before flight) on Delta non-stop from MSP to LHR in Aug (not a great price but bearable and cheaper than going through Delta's site). Last night a sale started on the above mentioned carriers with prices starting as low as $850! (haven't seen fares that low for summer travel to Europe in over a decade). I'm debating whether I should switch our flights now but I do have a concern about flying with one of these carriers.

With AA & US Airways in the middle of their merger I'm wondering if they might cancel/combine flights. This happened to me once when Northwest & Delta merged--fortunately it was the first/domestic leg of my trip to Europe and the new flight they put me on worked out okay (was living in CA at the time).

Right now the connection times and locations are good and the savings would be $1000 for us combined, which is a lot for us (a few shore excursions). However, I loved the idea of non-stop and less travel time, especially for my elderly mother.

I'm pretty much 50/50 on this. Can someone push me over on one side of the fence? - maybe there's something I'm not thinking of

Thank you :)

Hi,

A couple days ago I booked a Princess Flex Fare (totally refundable up to 45 days before flight) on Delta non-stop from MSP to LHR in Aug (not a great price but bearable and cheaper than going through Delta's site). Last night a sale started on the above mentioned carriers with prices starting as low as $850! (haven't seen fares that low for summer travel to Europe in over a decade). I'm debating whether I should switch our flights now but I do have a concern about flying with one of these carriers.

With AA & US Airways in the middle of their merger I'm wondering if they might cancel/combine flights. This happened to me once when Northwest & Delta merged--fortunately it was the first/domestic leg of my trip to Europe and the new flight they put me on worked out okay (was living in CA at the time).

Right now the connection times and locations are good and the savings would be $1000 for us combined, which is a lot for us (a few shore excursions). However, I loved the idea of non-stop and less travel time, especially for my elderly mother.

I'm pretty much 50/50 on this. Can someone push me over on one side of the fence? - maybe there's something I'm not thinking of

Thank you :)

The US/AA merger is for all intents and purposes done. The last steps (from the public's point of view) will be that US flight numbers will vanish and be replaced by AA numbers and that any remaining US ticket counters will be rebranded or closed in favor of existing AA facilities.

Any changes or reductions in routes or frequencies will be preceded by ample notice, and passengers booked on flights will be re-accommodated. But they're not going to cancel flights this summer or anytime soon.

Don't worry about the merger. That shouldn't affect you.

But I can relate to the issue of price vs ease of itinerary. I'm going through that myself now and I wish there WAS and easy way to push me one way or the other .....:confused:

Thank you for the replies!

I have one more question - What would you say are the minimum connection times needed for the return flight to the US at the following airports?

Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Charlotte, NC (CLT) - looking at this option since we're not thrilled about the smaller jets used between MSP & ORD

Thanks again :)

Thank you for the replies!

I have one more question - What would you say are the minimum connection times needed for the return flight to the US at the following airports?

Chicago O'Hare (ORD)

Charlotte, NC (CLT) - looking at this option since we're not thrilled about the smaller jets used between MSP & ORD

Thanks again :)

AA's published international to domestic MCTs are 1h 30m at ORD and 1h at CLT. Personally I'd give it an extra 30 min. at both.

I would re book in a heartbeat to realize the savings. Not much difference between your choices.

We would prefer Charlotte to O'Hare any time-despite having to travel on a smaller aircraft to get to your connection point.

We were on a transatlantic BA flight last fall-economy seats. No issue...just like other airlines. Much better service/food than on the United flight we took over two months earlier.

Edited by iancal

Some flights on that sale are under $800 rt Lax to CDG which is almost half of what other carriers are charging. I found some with decent connections for $765. Makes you wonder how long it will last and if other carriers will match. Plus AA still awards miles based on mileage flown not $$ spent like the other US carriers. A fantastic deal!

Some flights on that sale are under $800 rt Lax to CDG which is almost half of what other carriers are charging. I found some with decent connections for $765. Makes you wonder how long it will last and if other carriers will match. Plus AA still awards miles based on mileage flown not $$ spent like the other US carriers. A fantastic deal!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Looks like the sale ended earlier today but I'm wondering if it could return and/or other carriers might go on sale. The Princess eZ Fares are now showing drops in prices for United & Air Canada as well as the AA group. Not nearly as low as the sale they just had but a couple hundred less than what they were last week before the sale ($1300's vs $1500's).

It doesn't matter whether you book through Choice Air or directly with an airline....the schedule could change. As others have commented, this is pretty unlikely over the summer travel season, but it's always possible. (Over the past year I've flown AA a lot and never had a schedule change. But I flew DL last month to burn up some SkyPesos and there was a schedule change a few weeks prior to travel.)

A very broad-brush generalization....airlines have a rebooking "pecking order" when a schedule change happens. Choice Air passengers will be rebooked but the severity of the change may be worse than passengers who booked directly through the airline.