Russia, Safe to go in August?

RJB

Hearing a lot on the news lately about new political problems. Any thoughts if it is O.K. to go to St. Petersburg? Thanks, Richie :confused::confused::confused:

Hearing a lot on the news lately about new political problems. Any thoughts if it is O.K. to go to St. Petersburg? Thanks, Richie :confused::confused::confused:

Russia is intractable, provocative, ruled by an egomaniac but not a rogue state. They will follow established international protocols. Even if something outrageous happened, like invading Ukraine, proper diplomatic rules would guarantee the safety of in country visitors (on both sides). Russia is also not stupid, they are suffering especially difficult economic times and will not risk damaging a superstar tourist attraction like St. Petersburg. As for the street, everywhere in the world it is dangerous.

Exactly. Politics is politics; tourism is business.

Maybe they do have a bit of a pickpocket problem. But awareness, alertness and reasonable precaution pretty much neutralize the danger of losing your goods to nimble hands.

At least ordinary citizens there don't walk around the streets and in stores and Starbucks carrying guns as is done in some other countries which shall remain nameless.

I agree. I'm not interested in going to Russia, partly because my father's family came from Ukraine ... partly because we've already been there (well, to St. Pete anyway) ... and partly because I don't like Putin or what he is doing. So I vote with my wallet.

But I wouldn't be worried about going there in terms of personal safety. They need that tourist's dollar (or Euro or whatever currency you want to mention).

Mura

Russia is intractable, provocative, ruled by an egomaniac but not a rogue state. They will follow established international protocols. Even if something outrageous happened, like invading Ukraine, proper diplomatic rules would guarantee the safety of in country visitors (on both sides). Russia is also not stupid, they are suffering especially difficult economic times and will not risk damaging a superstar tourist attraction like St. Petersburg. As for the street, everywhere in the world it is dangerous.

Hi

I agree with the above poster! Go to St.Petersburg enjoy the wonderful city.

Do book a guide to get the most out of your visit. We chose Dancing Bear tours,but all the guides offer a brilliant service and are so proud of the city and its history.

Josie

We have been to St. Petersburg, three times, and Vladivostok once. It is impossible to insure perfect safety anywhere, and just a bit more difficult in places where dishonest behavior is common. If you are familiar with Barcelona, and get along there without incident, you already know what to do. Certainly leave valuables behind and limit the number of credit cards you carry to one. I carry one that has the shortest credit line, since I am unlikely to buy anything expensive there anyway. Have the port agent's phone number. Considering that Russia and China seem to like hacking, I avoid ATMs. We spent most of our time on Nefsky Prospekt. There are wonderful sites there, and pickpockets too. After all, they go where they hope the money is. Enjoy yourself.

Mary