Floatplane tours in Ketchikan

CruisingSince2012

After I told my mom to book the Misty Fjords boat tour because it will sell out if she doesn't hurry up, she went to Trip Adviser and decided it is better to take a floatplane at least one direction. She agreed a cruise and fly would be perfect if it was not overpriced, but hates thinking about paying $100 more for cruising in one direction. So I am looking at flightseeing tours and wondering if it is a good idea to pay too much for what could be our only opportunity to see Misty Fjords and Ketchikan.

If we don't take the CAF tour, what is the best flightseeing option? So far, I have found 10, 20, and 30 minute landings; 1.5 and 2 total hours; a 10 seater and 6 seat planes; and the times 12:00, 2:00, and 4:00. Prices are $230-$250. There also is a shortened version of one tour (75 minutes) for only $190, but to book it there must be a four-person minimum.

If we do the CAF tour, it would be a 2.5 hour cruise and 30 minute flight.

Edited by CruisingSince2012

We did a 2 hour floatplane trip in Ketchikan with Michelle of Island Wings. It was FANTASTIC!!!!!! So serene and beautiful.

She is the only female owner of her own company in Ketchikan and has been flying for over 35 years. We landed on a lake (didn't even know we were down) and taxied to shore where we spent about 30 minutes taking photos and admiring the spectacular scenery.

There were 6 passengers on our flight. One fellow had flown with Michelle 3 times previously. Hubby was a bit apprehensive when I booked this flight but he admitted it was one of the top highlights of our trip.

Michelle does book up quickly. Communication with her office was very prompt.

I 2nd the Island Wings suggestion:D I used them last month (it was

my 2nd time with them). Michelle is awesome:D

I 3rd the Island Wings suggestion.

Here are a couple of videos that I did last month.

1st one the flight starts about 20 seconds in.

This one has take off and landing.

After I told my mom to book the Misty Fjords boat tour because it will sell out if she doesn't hurry up, she went to Trip Adviser and decided it is better to take a floatplane at least one direction. She agreed a cruise and fly would be perfect if it was not overpriced, but hates thinking about paying $100 more for cruising in one direction. So I am looking at flightseeing tours and wondering if it is a good idea to pay too much for what could be our only opportunity to see Misty Fjords and Ketchikan.

If we don't take the CAF tour, what is the best flightseeing option? So far, I have found 10, 20, and 30 minute landings; 1.5 and 2 total hours; a 10 seater and 6 seat planes; and the times 12:00, 2:00, and 4:00. Prices are $230-$250. There also is a shortened version of one tour (75 minutes) for only $190, but to book it there must be a four-person minimum.

If we do the CAF tour, it would be a 2.5 hour cruise and 30 minute flight.

Longer/more is usually "better". I would not make choices on landing times. Total time is superior in my opinion. The vendor I use, makes landing choices sometimes, more randomly, with multiple different routings I have experienced. The landings have been varied in location and time. I do not want any "fixed" route flying, which some have more of, this is especially a possibility with the ship contractor- Taquan. I'm delighted to rely entirely on the pilot's choice in my case. I have flown this area over 20 times.

Twice you mention price- a significant concern- if that is going to impact the enjoyment of the tour?

I'll 4th Michelle. Besides- she sent me a Chrismas card! :D

We did Misty Fjord last time we were there, and this time we are off to see the bears and salmon. The first trip was just wonderful and I expect this one to be as good.

I am not at all sure what float plane one way and cruise the other is- what would that be? I know what it seems to mean but didn't know that was an option.

We did Misty Fjord last time we were there, and this time we are off to see the bears and salmon. The first trip was just wonderful and I expect this one to be as good.

I am not at all sure what float plane one way and cruise the other is- what would that be? I know what it seems to mean but didn't know that was an option.

There is a floating dock in Misty Fjords where the boat tours pick up or drop off passengers. You do the other direction in a floatplane.

Just did the 2 hours float plane with Michelle and Island Wings this past week. It was amazing! Felt it was well worth the dollars spent. The lake where we set down was absolutely gorgeous and so, so peaceful. Michelle has exceptionally high standards and we always felt we were in good hands. I was very, very hesitant to do a small plane after a bad experience years ago, and this flight was smooth and comfortable. You won't regret doing the float plane. Oh...and the views are amazing!!!

I am penciled in for next July on this same tour... would you please come back and give us a review of this tour... with the dollars spent on this tour, I would like to know it is totally worth every penny! For the record, have heard nothing but good about Michelle and her company! thanks in advance!

Although I'm sure Island Wings is a top-notch operation based on all of the favorable reviews, I would also like to recommend Family Air. We chose to do a tour with the owner, Dave, last summer rather than Island Wings because with his smaller Cessna plane, it would just be the four of us on the tour.

Family Air Tour Website

For our group of 4 it was like having a private charter, but without the hefty price. In fact, by booking early, we were able to take advantage of a special offer of paying for 3 and getting the 4th person free...a nice savings. Dave gave us a great flight and also landed and let us do some exploring for about 30 minutes.

Dave's location couldn't have been any closer to our ship either! His plane took off right next to the Coral Princess!!

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

Here is a link to a blog post I wrote about our Misty Fjords tour if you would like to see more photos or read about our wonderful day!

Misty Fjords Tour with Family Air

:)

Edited by AryMay

Although I'm sure Island Wings is a top-notch operation based on all of the favorable reviews, I would also like to recommend Family Air. We chose to do a tour with the owner, Dave, last summer rather than Island Wings because with his smaller Cessna plane, it would just be the four of us on the tour.

Family Air Tour Website

For our group of 4 it was like having a private charter, but without the hefty price. In fact, by booking early, we were able to take advantage of a special offer of paying for 3 and getting the 4th person free...a nice savings. Dave gave us a great flight and also landed and let us do some exploring for about 30 minutes.

Dave's location couldn't have been any closer to our ship either! His plane took off right next to the Coral Princess!!

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

Here is a link to a blog post I wrote about our Misty Fjords tour if you would like to see more photos or read about our wonderful day!

deleted

Edited by Budget Queen

Longer/more is usually "better." I would not make choices on landing times. Total time is superior in my opinion. The vendor I use, makes landing choices sometimes, more randomly, with multiple different routings I have experienced. The landings have been varied in location and time. I do not want any "fixed" route flying, which some have more of, this is especially a possibility with the ship contractor- Taquan. I'm delighted to rely entirely on the pilot's choice in my case. I have flown this area over 20 times.

Twice you mention price - a significant concern - if that is going to impact the enjoyment of the tour?

Of course the price will not impact Mom's enjoyment of the tour. The problem is during the planning stage, she is unable to get money out of her head. That is just the way she is, especially after spending thousands of dollars on the cruise itself, two one-way flights, and travel insurance. She also reserved a hotel room and will buy wine on the ship. So all she can think about is the cost of the whole trip piling up. And no, I can't help her out. I can only afford souvenirs and meals at HAL's 2 specialty restaurants (Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill).

Can you see wildlife from the floatplane or only during the landing? The main reason I always thought a cruise would be better than a flight is proximity to animals. This will be our only chance to see whales off the ship.

Ary May, that would be awesome for a family or group of four but there are just two of us.

I think Family Air would still be a good choice for just the two of you. Who knows...you might get lucky and be the only ones for your flight. If you read the excellent reviews on trip advisor you will see this sometimes does happen!

Have a great trip!

So far I have found nine companies. They do not all list the times their tours start. Also, when they say 2 hours, does that include transportation to and from their planes?

that is total time. it is just a few minutes to the planes from pickup.

Of course the price will not impact Mom's enjoyment of the tour. The problem is during the planning stage, she is unable to get money out of her head. That is just the way she is, especially after spending thousands of dollars on the cruise itself, two one-way flights, and travel insurance. She also reserved a hotel room and will buy wine on the ship. So all she can think about is the cost of the whole trip piling up. And no, I can't help her out. I can only afford souvenirs and meals at HAL's 2 specialty restaurants (Canaletto and Pinnacle Grill).

Can you see wildlife from the floatplane or only during the landing? The main reason I always thought a cruise would be better than a flight is proximity to animals. This will be our only chance to see whales off the ship.

Do not expect to see any wildlife and especially not whales. Very rare event.

I've seen the most- mountain goats, lucky to get a 1 minute view. Bears only a few time, flying over from a distance.

Were you considering a bear tour? Totally different area than Misty Fiords. Not the same type of tour, and the choice that should be made if you want to see bears.

Do not expect to see any wildlife and especially not whales. Very rare event.

I've seen the most - mountain goats, lucky to get a 1 minute view. Bears only a few times, flying over from a distance.

Were you considering a bear tour? Totally different area than Misty Fiords. Not the same type of tour, and the choice that should be made if you want to see bears.

I knew from the beginning I wanted to see Misty Fjords so I did not think about bear tours. What I really wanted to do was take a boat tour and see the glacier.

Family Air Tour Website

IMG_1409.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1371.JPG

We booked Family Air based on your excellent 2014 review! Misty Fjords in 13 days! Here we come!

I emailed this thread to Mom so she could read Island Wings recommendations. She checked it out and saw a red flag: One plane and one pilot means there will be no backup plan if something happens to Michelle or her Beaver.

Many independents have only one plane. the vendor I use as well. Assumptions are being made, based on no knowledge on what strict maintenance guidelines are in place. It isn't like a car- where you fix it when it breaks. Every so many hours, certain elements HAVE to be verified, serviced, replaced etc. Check out what is involved in the maintenance. Preformed by licensed A&P mechanics. (which my husband is one- very valuable with the private plane ownership he had)

There is no "perfect" trip, and people expecting those are setting themselves up for disappointment.

If the case is firm, no single plane vendors, then book with Taquan or Pro mech.

Edited by Budget Queen