Diamonds International

Are the prices similar in San Juan, St Maarten, and St Kitts? Or are some islands more expensive than others? How do prices compare to those on the ship? I'm thinking of purchasing a nice ladies' watch. Any tips?

I honestly would never buy any jewelry on vacation. I use a jeweler at home whom I trust, and where I can go if any problems or situations arise. On vacation, the bright lights, sparkly gems, and air-conditioned stores are enticing... but like I said, I would not do it.

I wouldnt shop there. They have a big mark up. You can talk them down but the other traders in St Maarten will do you the best deals.

We have bought several pieces of diamond jewelry there over the years. For insurance purposes, I take them to a certified gemologist for appraisal. I haven't had a piece appraised at less than 40% more than I paid for it. We have also taken of their "trade up" program. We just bring our receipt of the piece that we want to upgraded, that number is subtracted from the price of the new price, and we pay the difference.

I'm thinking of purchasing a nice ladies' watch. Any tips?

What do you mean by "nice ladies' watch"? That's a phrase that can vary from a few hundred to tens of thousand of dollars, and changes the calculus quite a bit. Are you talking a nice Tissot or Victorinox, a TAG Heur, Rolex, or an Audemars Piguet?

I've not been to St Kitts. I find the pricing and selection for timepieces to generally be worst in San Juan, and OK to good in Saint Maarten. The best deals are typically for watches that are least likely to be discounted in the U.S., primarily Rolex and Panerai; you can typically get a 10-15% discount in the Caribbean for either, and rarely receive a discount in the U.S. Rolex carries its own burden, as by law you can only import one Rolex on your person when entering the U.S. You can't ship them, or carry more than one. That's a very long story, but Rolex USA is the licensed trademark holder of the name and emblems of Rolex in North America, and beyond the single watch exception, any watch bearing the Rolex name imported into the U.S., whether new or used, whether made by Rolex SA or not, is considered "counterfeit".

The typical Caribbean discount for a watch is 15-20%, which is also the typical discount at most authorized dealers in the U.S. outside of department stores and the like. So, again, it depends on what you're looking to buy and what price point you're shopping...

Be educated about what you are buying before you walk in the door. I tried on a silver ring at a DI and the sales lady was trying to convince me it was white gold. It was clearly lighter than gold and the 925 stamp inside gave it away even further...just know what you are buying.

Just google them for reviews and you will read an eyeful. :eek:

Yes, please do that. In our experience, it was poor workmanship on more than one piece. (Stones falling out)

There is an emerald ring on my finger as I type this that we bought on the ship 18 years ago and it has never lost a stone.

I've had the same situation as GrandGeezer. I bought unset 1+ carat diamonds on cruises between 10-15 years ago and put them away for each of my kids. I'd buy a diamond and then pay it off before the next cruise. I figured the kids could use them as-is, trade them in on something else, etc., but the diamonds would be good engagement presents someday. Now that the kids are in their 20's, I have had the diamonds appraised. They have all appraised 80-140% higher than the prices I paid at DI, with the certified diamonds appraising the highest. While part of that increase is a function of time and inflation, I'm obviously not disappointed in the quality of the diamonds I purchased from DI.

Having said that, you do need to Buyer Beware in Caribbean jewelry stores. I have had salespeople who I felt were less than honest, and I've had experiences with DI and other stores where I felt stones were much lower quality than marked. It's ok to try to bargain, and it's ok to walk away. If getting a cash discount, consider that you are losing the benefit of your credit card company if there's a problem (and don't forget to alert your credit card company that you're traveling, so there isn't a delay or problem with putting through credit card charges).

The biggest saving might be in sales tax. And in the fact that the Caribbean has a huge assortment of jewelry. Of the ports you mentioned, I've had the best luck with jewelry in St. Maarten.

When I bought a Rolex, I paid the duties on it (seemed like customs was surprised I declared it...). Don't remember how much the duties were, but it did seem to make up for sales tax. The Rolex prices seemed the same as in the U.S., with the only benefit being that the selection in the Caribbean is larger than jewelers seem to carry here.

I honestly would never buy any jewelry on vacation. I use a jeweler at home whom I trust, and where I can go if any problems or situations arise. On vacation, the bright lights, sparkly gems, and air-conditioned stores are enticing... but like I said, I would not do it.

Most places in the States don't have anywhere near the selection you can find at most DI stores in the Caribbean.

This New Yorker begs to differ.

So you beg to differ that "most places" (as I stated) do not have the selection that is available in the Caribbean? Do you assume that such towns Raleigh, NC, Nashville, TN, or even Albany, NY have the same selection that NYC has? Or did you just miss the word "most" in my post???

Be educated about what you are buying before you walk in the door.

THIS! Learn about the 4Cs and get up to speed with pricing. Decide what it is you want and can afford.

I have made several lovely purchases from DI in the last few years. Pricing and selection often can't be beat. You have the opportunity to bargain and purchase tax free depending on your nationality. RC also offers product guarantees should you be dissatisfied.

I'm always amused by the posts that relate how their local jeweler has appraised their Caribbean jewelry at "40%" more etc. Of course they do, they don't want to insult you!:D

That said we've bought lots of jewelry in the Caribbean and don't regret it and feel it was a fair purchase. We just don't fool ourselves that we got some incredible 40-100% off deal.:rolleyes: Of course if we did that's great and it may have happened sometimes, my wife is very tough when it comes to bargaining........ :)

Please people, stop believing your home jewelers ridiculous inflated "appraised values". They are doing that for two reasons, to make you feel good and happy, and give you something to put on your insurance policy if you choose to do so. Stop and think about it, if they didn't give you that high appraised value you'd be unhappy and less likely to shop with them at home........:D:rolleyes:

Edited by bouhunter

Bouhunter: I have used more than one certified Gemologist for my appraisals - also have a jewelery store owner in the family. My insurance company also sends me to someone for appraisals, since my jewlery rider is so substantial. You can't assume that everyone on the board is clueless.

Bouhunter: I have used more than one certified Gemologist for my appraisals - also have a jewelery store owner in the family. My insurance company also sends me to someone for appraisals, since my jewlery rider is so substantial. You can't assume that everyone on the board is clueless.

The higher your "jewelry rider", the higher the premium they collect from you each year...........:D

I never said anyone was "clueless". Just that it has gotten old over the years seeing posts about "appraisals" back home being so much higher than what people paid. Lets think about this: I can go to the Caribbean and buy jewelry for HALF THE APPRAISED VALUE!!! WOW! I might as well just do that 4-5 five times per year and come home and sell it for twice what I paid!!!! It will pay for my vacations and/or even better, profit! Hmmmm, there must be a reason this isn't happening.................. :) Maybe because the guys in the Caribbean are NOT selling stuff for half it's value and/or the guys in the US are appraising things at inflated values..... :)

Edited by bouhunter

I'm always amused by the posts that relate how their local jeweler has appraised their Caribbean jewelry at "40%" more etc. Of course they do, they don't want to insult you!:D

That said we've bought lots of jewelry in the Caribbean and don't regret it and feel it was a fair purchase. We just don't fool ourselves that we got some incredible 40-100% off deal.:rolleyes: Of course if we did that's great and it may have happened sometimes, my wife is very tough when it comes to bargaining........ :)

Please people, stop believing your home jewelers ridiculous inflated "appraised values". They are doing that for two reasons, to make you feel good and happy, and give you something to put on your insurance policy if you choose to do so. Stop and think about it, if they didn't give you that high appraised value you'd be unhappy and less likely to shop with them at home........:D:rolleyes:

The certified gemologist I use is an independent, not affiliated with any jewelry store, so he has no reason to inflate the value. My insurance agent accepts the appraisal as accurate so I think it's time for me to rolleyes.

The certified gemologist I use is an independent, not affiliated with any jewelry store, so he has no reason to inflate the value. My insurance agent accepts the appraisal as accurate so I think it's time for me to rolleyes.

Your insurance agent is happy to accept the appraisal and base their premium on that value................They could care less what the stuff is actually worth as long as there is an "appraisal" on file. It could actually be worth NOTHING and they wouldn't care as long as they got their premium.......:rolleyes: You obviously have comprehension how the insurance industry operates.

As I said in a previous post, we have bought a LOT of jewelry in the Caribbean and feel there are good values there. But the ongoing never ending posts about "appraisals" reflecting that people got stuff for half it's value are ridiculous, period. But people who get those appraisals sure do feel good so I guess that's all that matters.

Edited by bouhunter