Viking payment in full

3red7s

Raising questions re: Viking's financial structure is nothing new on this forum and appears too regularly.

And the desire to criticize Viking, particularly by those who have never cruised with the line and by those who assert they never will, is "interesting" .

We have cruised twice with Viking and would certainly do so again.

But let me propose a general rule:

Description of Viking's pricing and payment policy, and comparisons with that of other lines, perfectly fair.

Leaping from that description to an assessment of Viking's financial condition, perfectly unfair. Unless, of course, one of us has direct access to the financials of the company or is an officer of same.

Jazz, is a moderator different from a host? is a host required to be impartial?…i think it is a fair question to ask….and a simple yes or no would be appreciated. Is Cruise Critic ok with your pontifications as a host or moderator vs. a poster?

Just for the record and to avoid any misunderstandings, while I would prefer that those posting with the 'Host' title were impartial in their posts I gave up on that some time ago with regard to Jazz :)

It is necessary though that they moderate their own posts in the same way that others would and should be moderated.

Any one suggesting that any of the cruise lines was behaving in a fraudulent manner without clear proof should be subject to moderation to protect the Cruise Critic brand, so it is specifically the lack of self-moderation that is the key point here.

• Administrators

Hello everyone:

I'm jumping in here to share with you our official policy regarding participation of our community "Hosts" here on Cruise Critic.

Their opinions are their own. They are free to post those opinions -- as long as they align within our posted Community Guidelines we have set forth here for everyone.

Hosts are free to contribute as they see fit; we do not regulate, censor or even make suggestions as to their participation. Again, all posts by hosts should conform to our community guidelines (see link on nav above for Guidelines).

The above said, our hosts are volunteers who are drawn from a wide circle of daily life. Most of them are experienced travelers -- either realtime or "armchair." All are outside the travel field in their professional lives. You should not believe that our hosts have any additional insight or information simply because they have a "Host" prefix to their name. Cruise Critic hosts are not representatives nor employees of Cruise Critic.

Thanks for dropping in Laura and for the policy statement.

Looks like there has been some 'clean up' in this thread but still some quoted remnants around that might be better removed as well I guess.

We're going on Viking's Grand European Tour on 13th. September 2015. We paid a 25% deposit last year. We pay the remaining 75% on 5th. July. There seems to be different procedures in the UK to the USA. The Viking staff here are very helpful.

We're going on Viking's Grand European Tour on 13th. September 2015. We paid a 25% deposit last year. We pay the remaining 75% on 5th. July. There seems to be different procedures in the UK to the USA. The Viking staff here are very helpful.

Yes, very different in the UK.

Viking seems to approach each market with a different strategy.

Viking and Oceania are the only two cruise lines I'm aware of that do this. Most river cruise and ocean cruise lines have launch fares (which many people pay) and then adjust up or down based on demand. So on the one hand, there is no such thing as a "real" price of a cruise -- but, there are "real" sales and fake constant 2-for-1 sales.

I just got a Vantage catalog today. Guess what? Prominent on the cover "new for 2016! 2-for-1cruises..." Then all the pricing grids show the, dare I say, bogus high price then halved.

Hoping this does not become the industry standard. :eek:

Edited by CPT Trips

I just got a Vantage catalog today. Guess what? Promenant on the cover "new for 2016! 2-for-1cruises..." Then all the pricing grids show the, dare I say, bogus high price then halved.

Uniworld also recently offered a 2 for 1 for past customers--someone posted they had booked a trip through that promotion. I didn't follow up to see if the original prices had been inflated, but with brochures in hand, it would be easy to tell.

keeping old catalogs or procures is kind of essential to suss out so called deals.

From the sound of the pp, the Viking invasion is succeeding on rivers that the earlier Vikings did not invade . . .

Edited by CPT Trips

As I said earlier, people love sales. Sears vowed to never have another sale several years ago. :rolleyes: The Saturn automobile company has vanished along with their claim that the sticker price was the price.;) Burger King and McDonalds do have 2 for 1 pricing, however. But if your lunch partner does not want a Big Mac or a Whopper you won't get just one for half the price they list for 2 (and the price for 2 is less than 2 individual sandwiches but more than the price of one).:o

Sad part is it used to be the industry standard and slowly it had been dieing off.

If this nonsense is making a come back I will not be happy about it.

Hello everyone:

I'm jumping in here to share with you our official policy regarding participation of our community "Hosts" here on Cruise Critic.

Their opinions are their own. They are free to post those opinions -- as long as they align within our posted Community Guidelines we have set forth here for everyone.

Hosts are free to contribute as they see fit; we do not regulate, censor or even make suggestions as to their participation. Again, all posts by hosts should conform to our community guidelines (see link on nav above for Guidelines).

The above said, our hosts are volunteers who are drawn from a wide circle of daily life. Most of them are experienced travelers -- either realtime or "armchair." All are outside the travel field in their professional lives. You should not believe that our hosts have any additional insight or information simply because they have a "Host" prefix to their name. Cruise Critic hosts are not representatives nor employees of Cruise Critic.

While I appreciate your input on this and understand your policy, I just can't help but say I believe posts like this tarnish your "Cruise Critic" brand. I have been following posts on these boards for many years and have enjoyed the experience and have gained a lot of useful information.

That said, I think the river cruise forum is the worst. I have never seen such biased posts by the host and so much sniping over one cruiseline that many of the snipers have never even been on.

I think it would be nice if people would only speak to what they know about. They should only post questions or post information they have first hand from prior experiences. This would make it a much more useful forum. As for me, I am about done.

Never taken a Viking river cruise as I mentioned. Our booked ocean cruise for 2016 was indeed 100% of the price due and payable within 90 days of booking--not sailing-- but all but $100pp is refundable if cancelled 120 days or more before sailing. Guess Viking Oceans has different rules from V. Rivers.

The reason I wouldnt cruise with them is the requirement to pay when booking--I clearly undersatnd 90 days prior but not 1 year prior--

I really hate that I'm contributing to keeping this thread open; and I ask this with all due respect. Do you refuse to fly airlines that demand payment when you make a reservation?

Frank

Never taken a Viking river cruise as I mentioned. Our booked ocean cruise for 2016 was indeed 100% of the price due and payable within 90 days of booking--not sailing-- but all but $100pp is refundable if cancelled 120 days or more before sailing. Guess Viking Oceans has different rules from V. Rivers.

The Viking river cruise contract is exactly the same. Cancel 121 days prior for a $100 penalty. Graded scale of refunds down to 29 days prior.

Frank

While I appreciate your input on this and understand your policy, I just can't help but say I believe posts like this tarnish your "Cruise Critic" brand. I have been following posts on these boards for many years and have enjoyed the experience and have gained a lot of useful information.

That said, I think the river cruise forum is the worst. I have never seen such biased posts by the host and so much sniping over one cruiseline that many of the snipers have never even been on.

I think it would be nice if people would only speak to what they know about. They should only post questions or post information they have first hand from prior experiences. This would make it a much more useful forum. As for me, I am about done.

As many have noted before - wish CC had a "like" button.

Frank

I really hate that I'm contributing to keeping this thread open; and I ask this with all due respect. Do you refuse to fly airlines that demand payment when you make a reservation?

Frank

Frank, the difference is that in river cruising, it is not the norm to have to pay in full at the time of making a reservation. If every river cruise line had the same policy on payment as Viking, like all airlines do, then this thread would not exist. (And I'm speaking from a US based perspective.)

And to QueenofEverything, I agree that if a poster is commenting on service, comfort, excursions, food, etc regarding a specific cruise or cruise line, then its only in the forums best interest to hear from people with specific experiences to add to share with everyone. However, in my humble opinion, commenting on a booking policy does not require anything other than a posters ability to read and understand the fine print and should be fair game in a thread, even if it does offend those who are loyal to the cruise line being discussed. It is those kinds of threads that help people make informed decisions.

That's just my two cents...

Edited by CarlyDawwg's Ma

I would agree that this practice of Viking requiring payments a year or more in advance goes completely against the policies of the "majority" of the Ocean/River Cruise industry. This policy is what first made me decide that Viking was not the line for me. Since then of course there are other reasons...... Enough said!

Frank' date=' the difference is that in river cruising, it is not the norm to have to pay in full at the time of making a reservation. If every river cruise line had the same policy on payment as Viking, like all airlines do, then this thread would not exist. (And I'm speaking from a US based perspective.)

And to QueenofEverything, I agree that if a poster is commenting on service, comfort, excursions, food, etc regarding a specific cruise or cruise line, then its only in the forums best interest to hear from people with specific experiences to add to share with everyone. However, in my humble opinion, commenting on a booking policy does not require anything other than a posters ability to read and understand the fine print and should be fair game in a thread, even if it does offend those who are loyal to the cruise line being discussed. It is those kinds of threads that help people make informed decisions.

That's just my two cents...[/quote']

Ok, I will agree with you to a point. I don't think the host commenting on a line's booking policy as a "ponzi scheme" is either helpful or appropriate.

The Viking river cruise contract is exactly the same. Cancel 121 days prior for a $100 penalty. Graded scale of refunds down to 29 days prior.

Frank

Options---

So you can pay 100% when booking (or up to 90 days later depending on arrangements made with Viking) and it is 100% REFUNDABLE minus $100 if cancelled up to 121 days before sailing..after that, sliding scale up to 29 days pre sailing.

vs pay a deposit that may or may not be refundable depending on various cruise lines then pay the rest 90- 120 days before sailing.

First scenario the cruise line has your money to 'invest' ..and yes maybe builds or borrows to build some boats with it.

The second scenario, YOU have your money to invest at maybe 0.5 - 4.0% return.

Not a huge difference in my opinion...it is more the 'principle' of the thing I suspect.

Edited by remydiva

I have been trying to stay out of this after the clean-up and allow the thread to focus on its original topic, but I do feel compelled to speak in defense of my role as Host. In that light, I just went back and reread every post I have made in any of the River Cruise threads since January of this year. I found quite a number of posts that mention Viking (although approximately equal numbers dealing with several other major lines), and every one consisted of statements of facts. [i encourage anyone else to do the same -- just click on my name in this post and select "Find All Posts by Host Jazzbeau" -- and if I have missed something please bring it to my attention.] I do mention AMA more frequently that any other cruise line -- because that is the line that I "know about ... first hand from prior experience."

I apologize for using the "P" word earlier in this thread, which seems to have upset many people. But as Laura noted above Hosts are not barred from expressing their opinions, and when I explained to Laura what I meant by that term in the context of several Viking business practices she agreed that my explanation would be "more than appropriate." But since I have already caused too much commotion here, I am dropping out of this thread.

Jazz,

I personally want to thank you for volunteering as a Host. Personally I find the River Cruise forum much less combative and antagonistic then the several ocean forums I follow. I am surprised how offended and defensive we can get over our personal lines of choice. I even find myself doing it which really annoys me. I truly enjoy reading your opinions and thoughts on the different threads even when I don't agree with you or you with me.

Thanks again!!

For me once I book, I then start "saving" and planning..... Viking wanting to be paid up front does not allow for that. JMHO

Oh but wait, I got Banned so I don't really care any more.... I voted with my money and booked with Avalon, in fact final pmt was today!

Edited by JVilleGal

Raising questions re: Viking's financial structure is nothing new on this forum and appears too regularly.

I don't think so. I think it is fair game and I find their practice disconcerting.

But let me propose a general rule:

Description of Viking's pricing and payment policy, and comparisons with that of other lines, perfectly fair.

Leaping from that description to an assessment of Viking's financial condition, perfectly unfair. Unless, of course, one of us has direct access to the financials of the company or is an officer of same.

I am a shareholder in RCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.) and make comments about financial stuff regarding RCL whenever I feel like it, as I did today on the Azamara forum.

Does Viking trade on the US Stock Exchange? If so (or even if not), does it trade as a public corporation in Norway, either as Viking or as something else (eg a parent company)? Do you know their stock symbol?

I think it is fair to consider that there may be a cash flow "situation" inherent in the requirement to pay so far in advance.

Edited by Oceans&Rivers