Solstice Sky suite or Celebrity Suite?

JennJohnNYC

Hi all,

We are going on the Solstice in a few months to Alaska and although we've never been on the Solstice, we did travel on the Silhouette a few years ago.

The cruise itself is quite pricey and the excursions in Alaska are also quite pricey, so we were thinking of a Sky suite or Celebrity suite. I've looked at loads of pics and both look nice, but of course different. We can do an aft sky suite for about $800 additional from the "normal" sky suite or the celebrity suite is substantially higher at about $2000 more.

I know this is subjective and the $$ question is really our personal decision, but I'd love to hear from anyone who had stayed in both or either of these suites for feedback. Particularly, is the aft sky suite better than the "normal" sky suites?

I know we will not get access to Michael's with the sky suite, but that is ok since we are travelling with another couple who won't have access either.

Thank you!!

We have had the pleasure of traveling in sky suite aft and not aft. We have also traveled in a royal suite and had friends in a celebrity suite which we visited often.

The views on the aft suite in Alaska would be my first choice based on the suite itself but the view is the winner! Alaska is all about the views especially on sea days and we feel aft is the best view in town. Well worth $800 if the balcony space will be well utlizied for the trip.

No, michaels club is not included but that has no value to us. Be aware.

If your looking for some separation in space then perhaps the celebrity might work out better. For the price I'd save it for other expenses.

Enjoy!

We have been in an S CS and were disappointed by the layout. The bedroom felt very enclosed and in the living area there is no dining table. The benefit is, I guess, two separate rooms but if I am honest I would not choose again. If you are not going to use Michael's then I think it is a no brainer to go for a sky suite.

In terms of aft balconies, I love them. Our favourite room on any boat ever is the M PH, at the back of the ship. You do feel that you can see for miles in all directions. Watching the wake in the moonlight, glass of wine in your hand, priceless..........

We have been in an S CS and were disappointed by the layout. The bedroom felt very enclosed and in the living area there is no dining table. The benefit is, I guess, two separate rooms but if I am honest I would not choose again. If you are not going to use Michael's then I think it is a no brainer to go for a sky suite.

Totally agree. The Celebrity Suite would be so much better as a one room unit. The bedroom creates too many narrow spaces that only one person can get through. Only one of you can get near the wardrobe at a time.

The sky Suite is much more open and has better usable and accessible storage. We did a CS in March. We had one of the ones with the wider balcony and that was really the only thing that was really good. The rest didn't work. Michael's was good but not worth £2,000 extra particularly if you have a drink package thrown in.

If you decide on the aft sky suite (S2). Try not to get one on the resort deck (deck 12) on Solstice. That aft outdoor balcony has a large overhang (great if it rains [emoji4]) due to the buffet upstairs. People have commented about the noise from scraping of chairs. Also makes it difficult look up high. I had the same dilemma for my upcoming cruise (, 12 floor )and ended up in a celebrity suite.

We did Alaska on Solstice in May 2014, in an aft corner S1 on Resort deck (deck 12). It has a fairly large balcony that offers about a 270 degree view. And no window washing machine as there is on the lower deck 10 or 11. It's the only deck that offers privacy on the aft and protection from the elements. In addition there is a very large porthole style window in the cabin that offers some great viewing. The noise from the chairs above is minimal. Also the aft S2s on Deck 12 are also quite nice and actually have more storage space than the S1 (two closets where as the S1 only has one closet).

Click on the link, if you would like to see the balcony.

http://wv4891.smugmug.com/Vacation/Cruise-vacations/Alaska-Solstice-May-07-May-16/i-wf52HkS

Edited by wv4891

OK just to clear up the difference in the sky suites:

There are S1 suites and S2 suites. The aft corners are the S1s. The others, which you are calling "normal." are the S2s.

We've been in both. We prefer the S1s because of the wraparound view. We also like the long walk to the back. It's quiet there. We prefer the penthouse deck - there are cabins above and below. That's as high as we will go. We've been one and two decks below as well and had that window washing equipment thing and it's absolutely and totally not a big deal at all. The S1s, as they are corner, have a big window on the side, so they're perhaps a bit brighter during the day.

Both sky suites are open and airy and we love them.

On our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise we got a pretty good deal on a Celebrity Suite so we're trying that. I think the two rooms, albeit a closed-in bedroom, will appeal, with the two couches we can stretch out on. It may be our last time to get the CS, but we're going to see how it goes with Michael's Club, Luminae, and our first-ever drinks package. We have a whole lot of OBC too, so this will be a different "feel" for us I'm sure.

However, I have a feeling we'll return once again to our much-loved S1 suites.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please report back on your cruise.

Well just to give a different point of view.... we would ALWAYS pick a CS over an S1 or S2....

We love the private bedroom, the two entrances to the bath from the bedroom and living area., the walk in closet....the big living room, the huge balcony(especially the ones on the side of the hump)...

No there's no dining table IN the room, but a large table on the balcony that you can have dinner on....also a large coffee table in the room you can use for the same purpose...

You have access to Michael's Club, which is a really nice perk...

We were just in one for a 16 night TA and it was marvelous.....

Whatever you pick, hope you have a wonderful cruise!:)

Edited by Gracie115

I have already posted my thoughts on the CS but if you are going to use Michael's Club it does add a whole perspective.

We love the atmosphere of Michael's, the special events and the conceirge service (not to mention free drinks).

If you are going to use Michael's then having a CS makes sense financially and in terms of holiday pleasure. If you are not going to be accessing Michael's you are paying a lot of money for an unused perk and the sky suite makes a lot more sense.

Have a great cruise!

Thank you ALL so much!

I should have clarified that the aft sky suite I am looking at is in fact a corner, but on deck 12.

Our last several cruises have been in Royal Suites and we truly do enjoy Michael's Club and actually utilized it every day, however, we will be traveling with another couple sailing non-suite so they would not have access to join us, so don't imagine we would utilize Michael's very much. I do realize that Michael's would only be available if we did the Celebrity or higher.

I very much appreciate all the thoughts and opinions and will report back as soon as I make up my very indecisive mind!

GOOD MORNING FROM ARIZONA! We are booked on Solstice on Dec 04 2015; several interesting 'things' have happened on OUR cruise re what you are inquiring about; FIRST: We were given a very wonderful 'Honeymoon Gift' aboard Holland America several years ago; that was the FIRST TIME 'we' experienced this Michaels Club & this 'question' has been posed over & over & over again over the years; "I" have been a member of RCCL since 18 years old (now in early 60') and this was even in contention WAY BACK THEN! However, class of travel then had nothing to do with the 'allowance' into the bar! OK: on this trip sailing Dec 04 2015 there has been a LOT of 'chatter' and I first booked us, we were in highest level concierge; saw some things as one often will and decided to move to SKY SUITE 1 which we did thinking that perhaps MC as stated did NOT delineate that only ONE SUITE CLASS of such & HIGHER had JUST BEEN REMANDED by the President of the Line It's NOT a 'nice' thing they did and a LOT of people were offended & some even cancelled; one day there was a COMPLETE sell off of suites & WE would have upgraded again but NOT AFFORDED the opportunity!! This is possibly our LAST CRUISE ABOARD CELEBRITY due to this 'switch/bait' and other sad incidents as well; since "I" command all our bookings, I make most of the choices but my darling husband was trying to SURPRISE a little more with another upgrade..it's beginning to look MORE & MORE like the QEII (which I have traveled in the highest level of several times) where complete segregation is avaialbe (just like the old days!) getting over it, we have learned so MUCH to appreciate our fellow passengars on this cruise and greatful to them for showing us'the way' to MORE FUN & FELLOWSHIP!! HAPPY SAILINGS!

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on Solstice DEC 04 2015 sailing Australia; this 'controversy' on Sky Suite 1 vs 2 has had a LOT of 'chatter' going on; your statement about the "one day sell off" is SO APPROPROS! I have been with RCCL/Celebrity since they put a ship in the water! WHAT A FARCE & MESS that turned out to be! WE also would have upgraded & not presented the opportunity either! NOT GOOD BUSINESS for the LINE!I agree with 'last cruise on the line' and we ALL have better places to put our dollars, where treatment shall be MUCH better of their LOYAL CUSTOMERS! You speak of the QEII which I have done several time in the Queens Grill & up at LEAST they have MANNERS! & the cabin & company were very impressive to say the least! and I understand that even they have 'lessened' the ties with some more interesting venues/accommodations & itineraries!

Thank you ALL so much!

I should have clarified that the aft sky suite I am looking at is in fact a corner, but on deck 12.

Our last several cruises have been in Royal Suites and we truly do enjoy Michael's Club and actually utilized it every day, however, we will be traveling with another couple sailing non-suite so they would not have access to join us, so don't imagine we would utilize Michael's very much. I do realize that Michael's would only be available if we did the Celebrity or higher.

I very much appreciate all the thoughts and opinions and will report back as soon as I make up my very indecisive mind!

The other issue you will have is dining if your friends are not traveling in a suite. You will be assigned to dining in Luminae, the suite restaurant. They will be assigned to the MDR.

• 1 year later...

We were on the Solstice this past May and all suites, including sky suites, have access to Michaels Club, which most of you know is wonderful. In addition, we had an S1 corner aft on deck 12 (Resort deck). The views were spectacular and the overhang on the balcony was great for complete privacy and protection from inclement weather. We did get some noise from above, typically in the AM, but not enough to deter us from booking this stateroom again:D.

• 1 month later...

Just booked the August 11, 2017 Alaskan cruise on Solstice. We booked an S1 cabin, 2151. It is a port aft cabin I believe. Any pros, cons for this cabin ? I didn't see where the Michael's Lounge is accessible for us but now hearing it is ? We are new to Celebrity. Regards. Gerry.