Capris in dining room?

RKD

Tried to search first, and it kept kicking me out, so I had to start a new thread. Leaving for Alaska in a week. Are capris ok in the dining room in the evening?

Are capris ok in the dining room in the evening?

It's the style, rather than the length, of the slacks that makes the difference. Some capris are very casual, and would not be considered "smart casual". Others are dressier, and paired with a coordinating top, would be fine.

Only if you think yoga pants are proper attire to go to the grocery store or pajama pants are ok to shop at the mall. If you have to ask, then No, they aren't.

Yoga pants are proper attire for the grocery store as are pajama pants. Heck, I think everyone should wear flip flops. You will be fine in Capri pants.

Only if you think yoga pants are proper attire to go to the grocery store or pajama pants are ok to shop at the mall. If you have to ask, then No, they aren't.

Eh, yoga pants ARE just fine to go do groceries!

Why would anyone wear pajama pants outside?! Never seen that. They are sleeping attire.

As usual for ladies, it is not the name, but the style that matters.

Stylish Capri pants can be quite smart ( casual).

so yes, as long as you don't look like a pirate, go for it.

Randy while I wouldn't recommend you wear capris of any type in the dining room :eek: I certainly agree that nice ones are acceptable for women. Maybe you should stick to advising men about T-shirts or baseball hats. :D

I wear capri's with a dressy top and sweater (cause I'm always cold on the ship). I think as long as you are comfortable and don't stand out with your style you will be just fine. You are on a cruise...enjoy and be comfortable while conforming to the request.

Actually, I'd love to see someone come to dinner looking like a pirate.

I LOVE all these discussions - it reminds me of being on a short cruise once where- ON FORMAL night -a man came into the diningroom in Bermuda shorts and a "Pull My Finger" T-shirt........He was stopped at the door with a gentle reminder "Maybe you would prefer to eat in the Lido?" ...BTW he was exceptionally hairy too.........Its all in the DEGREE of which you choose to break the rules!;)

Have seen passengers dress the part on a Pirate-themed Night in the MDR!

Had a pirate on our Halloween Mexican Riviera cruise a couple of years ago...he even had a parrot on his shoulder.

Thanks to MOST of you! Capris can be very stylish, but I wanted to be sure. Obviously some people are very "into" themselves. THEY must be the ones who own yoga and pajama pants, since I have never owned or worn either! AND would never even think of them!

Capris are just another form of pants. If you would wear them out to dinner at a nice restaurant, they are OK for dinner in the dining room.

at a nice restaurant ... frankly, most people wouldn't ...

ps. but then again, everybody defines "nice" in their own way ...

Edited by taxmantoo

I was once a part of the wedding party at a wedding taking place in New York (Long Island, but not Hamptonish Long Island). A bunch of us who were in the wedding party had never been to New York and wanted to do the tourist thing. We asked what the expected dress was for the rehearsal dinner, and were told, "Totally casual, just come as you are!" "Great!" we replied, because that would give us time to do the Statue of Liberty since we wouldn't have to change.

We discovered that "casual" doesn't mean the same thing in New York as it does out west. We got there and found the men in suits and women wearing cocktail dresses, and here we were in our t-shirts and jeans. A few people looked at us with disdain, but most found the humor in the clash of cultures.

Capris (assuming not torn, stained, or worn through) would be completely acceptable at a nice restaurant out west. Maybe not in New York though.

I was once a part of the wedding party at a wedding taking place in New York (Long Island, but not Hamptonish Long Island). A bunch of us who were in the wedding party had never been to New York and wanted to do the tourist thing. We asked what the expected dress was for the rehearsal dinner, and were told, "Totally casual, just come as you are!" "Great!" we replied, because that would give us time to do the Statue of Liberty since we wouldn't have to change.

We discovered that "casual" doesn't mean the same thing in New York as it does out west. We got there and found the men in suits and women wearing cocktail dresses, and here we were in our t-shirts and jeans. A few people looked at us with disdain, but most found the humor in the clash of cultures.

Capris (assuming not torn, stained, or worn through) would be completely acceptable at a nice restaurant out west. Maybe not in New York though.

I'm a displaced New Yorker & would never wear Capri's to a nice Restaurant in Manhattan, however I'm also in the older/retired generation..

Our office moved to Long Island & many of us wore pant suits or dress slacks, but when I had to go into Manhattan for meetings always wore a dress or suit (skirt w/Jacket).. Have no idea what they wear in Manhattan now..

I might wear a nice Capri outfit for smart casual night on a cruise though, & the same outfit would be acceptable here in South Florida at a nice restaurant..

I doubt if I WILL wear capris in the evening (for smart casual), but I did want to ask. I have a very hard time with any kind of heat or humidity, and I am on an Estrogen blocker for cancer which compounds my problem. I get overheated very easily, so I always try to dress to stay as cool as possible. THAT'S why I asked about capris. If you are on the 2 week Alaska cruise that leaves June 15, you should be able to spot me easily. I will be the one on deck viewing the glacier dressed in short sleeves. Guess I should go shopping for yoga and pajama pants before I go, though! ;):rolleyes:

Edited by RKD

I LOVE all these discussions - it reminds me of being on a short cruise once where- ON FORMAL night -a man came into the diningroom in Bermuda shorts and a "Pull My Finger" T-shirt........He was stopped at the door with a gentle reminder "Maybe you would prefer to eat in the Lido?" ...BTW he was exceptionally hairy too.........Its all in the DEGREE of which you choose to break the rules!;)

I was on QM2 on a short cruise and on formal night there was a gentleman in a tuxedo (white, IIRC) with a tail sticking out his backside.