Cabin Hacks

1. Even the steerage inside cabins have ample storage for 2 people for a 10 day cruise. If you need these things, you are probably bringing too much stuff. Three or four in a cabin is a different story.

2. I'm thankful that my wonderful wife is low maintenace. I don't have to lug all of the extra stuff. :)

3. I have seen a number of cabins that can be charitably described as excessively cluttered. My thoughts on these cabins are "that would drive me crazy" and "my condoloences to the steward, I hope that he/she is getting extra gratituity.

4. In the end, it's their stuff, cabin, and decision. You can do whatever floats your boat, as long as it doesn't bother others.

I am mildly OCD and can't stand to look at clutter that I think should be hidden out of sight, so the door hanger with all that stuff on display would drive me crazy. You are right, it is fun to read about other people's feelings about different topics.

I don't know if I'm mildly (or otherwise) OCD, but I have strong reactions to the "asthetics" of my living spaces. I am sensitive to color and design, and I like my space to be tidy. I'm not so much a dust and clean freak, but messy and visible dirt also drive me nutz.

I do believe that's why the over the door shoe hanger never appealed to me.

That's interesting. I hang it on the inside of the bathroom door so I only see it when in the restroom. I guess it's a matter of preference in that I rather see that than stuff on the vanity or rummaging through the drawers (if you can fit it... which we can't seem to).

Although, we were on the Disney Dream a few years ago and the bathrooms are well designed there with a sort of shelf/medicine cabinet that was perfect for us. No hanging organizers necessary.

My Dad was Navy so we were all taught to be "ship shape" which means nothing out.

We take a net laundry bag not a pop up, it rolls into nothing. Carries all the dirties and goes under the bed.

We have used the over door organizer but recently, after 22 cruises, we have just about mastered the art of not overpacking:cool: Now we don't need any extra organizing stuff. The cabin areas are now sufficient and about the only things we carry are a magnetic Snail LED light that I place on the wall by the bed and a charging station that was recommended here to us. It swivels and can handle 4 different devices....I forget what its called. I take the towels clips for drying the swim stuff. They are very strong. And use them for other tasks as well. And I always take a travel Clorox pack and do wipe down the common areas like the T.V. control and handles, etc. And we always carry a few baggies.

Our cabin is always neat as a pin. That's just the way we roll in the shire...:)

Edited by BecciBoo

We use the desk drawers for dirty clothes.

GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS GROSS!!!!

Based on this, we will now wipe down the INSIDE of every drawer with sanitizing wipes when we cruise.

Absolutely repulsive!

Edited by Sascol

Traveling with two teenagers....the over the door shoe hanger worked great for us. We put lotions, bandaids, sunscreen, etc in it. It was also a great place to keep our shore excursion tickets. We put ours on the outside of the bathroom door. I also printed out the public deck plans and used magnets to put them on the inside of the stateroom door. Then as we were headed to the theatre for example, just looked at the plans on our way out and we never ended up on the wrong end of the ship...lol

They now have the electronic wayfinders at all elevators so you don't need to print the deck plans. :D

Based on this, we will now wipe down the INSIDE of every drawer with sanitizing wipes when we cruise.

Absolutely repulsive!

Yes , that would be a very smart move . On our last cruise , my husband found underwear in the drawer. My DH didn't let me know until after the cruise. On that cruise , I had lined the drawer with newspaper before I had put my toiletries there. It was the 1st time that I had used a drawer in 45+ yrs of travel . I usually keep my lotions and potions in a Land's End tote bag. Yes, I have to rummage to find things. The bathroom is free of clutter. We put our dirty clothes in plastic bags , no need for hampers ! Both of us have taken graduate level classes in microbiology and I " see " bacteria everywhere but I don't disinfect anything. On our last cruise one hundred pax came down with the norovirus probably due to careless practices . Thankfully , we didn't get sick.

Lots of helpful hints here !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Taking off

Absolutely repulsive!

Another vote for packing cubes, and leaving the clothes in the cube in the drawer, taking them out as you need them?

I've always used the wipes inside of the drawers & on the shelves ... even if they look like they're clean, the wipes always get dirty ... yuck!

The few times I haven't been able to find the wipes in the embarkation port, I use a washcloth & soap from the bathroom ...

:DCabin doors are metal (magnetic). The others . . . ?

Over-the-door holders are not prohibited by any cruise line (unless you hang them on the outside of the passageway (front) door.

there prohibited on disney cruise line.

we use packing cubes for our cloths so when we put them in the drawers our cloths do not actually touch the drawer itself. we fold our dirty cloths as we go and put them into a black packing cube. when i get home, the clothes go into the wash with the packing cube. keeps everything neat and tidy and i don't have to worry about who's dirty clothes my clean clothes may be in contact with.

I like the little Ikea Skubb boxes for small things. Sunglasses, pens, my camera when I'm not using it, etc etc. Containment. If everything goes in those boxes, then I don't have to search for things when it comes time to use them or pack them up. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50300275/#/70300279) And they are zippered on the bottom, so they fold flat for packing then cube-up easily for using.

Anything that doesn't fit in the closet, drawers, safe, shelves, or other cubby holes in the cabin throw in a big pile on the couch/chair in your cabin. (or find a spot on the floor)

You are on vacation so don't worry about organizing anything.

Unless you are expecting her majesty the Queen to stop by for tea --- only you, your cabin mate(s), and your room attendant are going to be seeing your room.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Bring less stuff and more money than you think is necessary.

:)

That is my opinion.

Vacation is the one time I feel I can control the clutter! I don't care about the Queen stopping by; she would be a lot more polite about my mess than I am about my mess! At home I'm still in a morass of paper clutter, so on vacation I LOVE to be neat.

The other thing we use is pop-up clothes hamper - it folds flat for packing and then we pop it open and keep in the closet for dirty clothes.

Yes.

And I fold clothes as I put them in the hamper.

I don't like putting them straight into suitcases, one, because sometimes DH is still using his for storage. But also because if we start just filling one, it can get full and then the others aren't as full and I need bags to be even. So I end up messing around with the dirty clothes in the luggage anyway. Might as well just do it once.

Agreed! Don't take up space in your suitcases with "extras". Think if you have so much stuff that storage is a problem you are overpacking - clothes and "extras".

If you're using everything, you're not overpacking. If you keep everything neat and organized, you CAN use everything without hunting it down, so it really makes sure you use everything.

We use the desk drawers for dirty clothes.

So much ew.

Just remember, wherever you're keeping your clean clothes, someone else put dirty clothes. But at least you're expecting it in *clothing* drawers....

(I would have said "all the ew" but ALL the ew goes to that pole in 1700 and 1400 on Freedom (class?). I don't normally travel with sanitizer but a travel bottle of it was used on that pole the moment we got into 1700. From the pictures I found online (dude in boxers with his leg all over it), I didn't let anyone touch that thing until after it was cleaned and sanitized, and still I tried to not touch it.)

Dad's was not - he had left his socks on the bed, and the steward left his bed as-was. We still tease him about that - but he never made that mistake again!

Wow, what a totally inappropriate crew member!

As to the OP comment that some cruiselines do not allow them, please provide a link. Never, ever heard that.

Referring to the true over-the-door holders...I know for a fact that DCL doesn't allow them, as they scratch up the doors and around the doors.

They now have the electronic wayfinders at all elevators so you don't need to print the deck plans. :D

I've found that just looking at the emergency exit plans on the doors (though I might be confusing DCL with Royal b/c we're about equal in terms of days onboard each) helps me get my bearings.

People are so different!....I keep my cabin immaculate because I can....you can barely tell it is inhabited....in sharp contrast to my house which feels very lived in!....have never needed anything extra for storage....we learned the half the clothes and twice the cash very early in our travels.....only do carry on and hope to continue....saw on the news today airlines are banding together to limit the size of carry on...no american companies yet...

Yes, I saw them on the Oasis. It was just more convenient to check in the room before heading out. That way we didn't have to wait if someone else was using them.

So I see a lot of people suggesting packing cubes. I went on Amazon and I am overwhelmed by all the different makers of packing cubes and sizes.

Anyone have a suggestion on which brand is good and what sizes they like best?

cheapest brand is probably good, there all pretty much the same. mine are heys brand. as to sizes think this way. the small will hold toiletries, socks, underwear, bathing suits, smaller items. the mediums i like the best, you can put shorts or shirts or a combination of those items, anything in the clothing line really and they fit nice. the large are often to large for the purpose imo. we put our dress clothes in them and we have a black one to put dirty laundry in, that way we always know the black one is don't use items. folded laundry packs so much easier then when i get home and wash the clothes i just toss the black cube in as well, just don't put it in the drier.

so, if they come in sizes you can pick individually the medium is best for most things. the other sizes are handy but i use more of the mediums. also, we have a colour for me and a different colour for hubby and of course the black ones.

the choices are endless.

Edited by tinkertwo

Unless you are in the location we were in on our last cruise because we did not have anyone walking by our door. :)

As you can see in the first 10 seconds of my video.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link:

Hey!!! That's our cabin on the Serenade in March!! How'd ya like it? We had 1100 on her in Jan...

So I see a lot of people suggesting packing cubes. I went on Amazon and I am overwhelmed by all the different makers of packing cubes and sizes.

I have eBags. I use a medium for bathing suits, cover ups, and sarongs. Another medium for all undies and nightgowns. I take a small in my carryon with shoes, a dress, undies and jewelry for the first night in case my luggage doesn't arrive before dinner. I put all shorts, tops, and dresses in one large. The mediums are opened and placed on shelves or in drawers. I stand in front of the closet and transfer everything from the large onto hangers without having to run back and forth to my luggage on the bed. I pack shoes in the spaces left between the bags and the side of my luggage.

Edited to add: I am unpacked in a fraction of the time it takes my SO to unpack, even though I am not in his way because I am not competing for floor space to run back and forth to the closets and drawers.

Edited by ZoeyVictoria

Mine are eBags, and I have used them extensively over the last two months. We just got home last night (actually in the wee hours this am), and they came in so very handy.

I like the assorted sizes in one package. The smallest one is very handy for all kinds of things, and we used one for all our electronic chargers, cords, etc. I also use that size for my undies, rolling them and putting them in side-by-side.

The largest is great for shirts and blouses.

The medium, which is long and more narrow is wonderful for miscellaneous toiletries and men's socks.

I have 2 sets of these assorted sizes, but if you take a lot of tops then another set would be good.

When they are packed they make a nice flat base for folded clothes to go on top, like pants and dressier clothes.

My DH swears by these packing envelopes: http://www.travelsmith.com/eagle-creek-pack-it-large-garment-folder/travel-accessories/packing-organizers/787575

I have Vera Bradley packing cubes, but I've also used ZipLock bags for underwear and socks. When DD was little, I packed each outfit in a Zip Lock, shorts/pants, top, underwear, socks, hair ribbons, and just pulled out the one we chose each day. DH's slight color blindness has made me contemplate using this system for him too.

I use ebags and have for years. Tried Packing Folders recently & I actually like them better. They hold more & take up less space... Even the hubs' dress shirts come out without wrinkles! [ATTACH]351926[/ATTACH]

My husband started using one of these for his packing and he gets all his shirts and polos in and not one crease.

Wow, what a great thread, thanks for sharing so many great ideas. I've cruised twice before but both were short 3 or 4 night cruises and without teenagers so I'm looking for all the tips I can get.

I've also learned that sanitizing wipes will be needed.... definitely!

I have used the larger packing cubes for my slacks rolled up and can get at least 6 pair in unless I toss levies in. Medium side for my blouses & smaller size for my undergarments. I have also used one of the small size for the little stuff. I really like the idea of leaving some clothes in them and place in the drawers. For our upcoming cruise, I have planned a pair of black slacks for formal and 3/4 other pair for the rest of the times over the two weeks mix & match with tops.